MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:45 pm

I only looked at the TFRs. You should be able to do these around the intitial pole plant without picking it up and moving it. What you have is an acceptable TFR but it’s not nearly tight enough. When all the essentials are working you will be able to do TFRs to a stop without moving the initial pole plant. This is how to do the exercise. Otherwise you are practicing GS turns versus tight slalom turns which is what we want and need for the BPSRT.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Can you get more CA at the pelvis or have you hit the limit due to flexibility?
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks jbotti, I'll make this a new goal. Max_501, I could maybe squeeze a tiny bit more hip CA but I'm close to my limit here.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 am

When you do a dryland CA test how does that range of motion compare to what you see in the video.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:03 am

It's pretty similar. If I really try I can get roughly 10% more but it doesn't feel pleasant at that point. Should I just suck it up?

jbotti, how much support on the planted pole is acceptable? My goal has been to use minimal support to prevent cheating of any kind. I use the pole plant to find my CA, but I'm essentially able to perform these the same way with no poles.
noobSkier

Postby RRT » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:15 am

Let me just say for myself and all those keeping an eye on this thread, it just got significantly more valuable. By slowing things down as noobSkier has been able to do, I am now getting more from the instructional help that the forum is designed to provide. It's a great example for those planning to post in the future. Good work noobSkier and contributors.
RRT

Postby jbotti » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am

noobSkier wrote:It's pretty similar. If I really try I can get roughly 10% more but it doesn't feel pleasant at that point. Should I just suck it up?

jbotti, how much support on the planted pole is acceptable? My goal has been to use minimal support to prevent cheating of any kind. I use the pole plant to find my CA, but I'm essentially able to perform these the same way with no poles.

I don’t know. I have never had HH or Diana tell me that I have too much weight on the pole. Either way focus on much tighter TFRs.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby RRT » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 pm

noobSkier,

I need to reference HH's video in order to support my point:

At section 4:08, in addition to tipping the little toe edge, he mentions and demonstrates pull back of the inside foot. I am as humble as humble can be on the two-footed release, particularly as it comes to providing MA. So, I'm taking a big risk by trying to help and further the discussion.

My SMIM currently is for inside foot pull back on all turns which for me starts immediately as I get off the chair. I notice in your video of two-footed releases that your inside foot is creeping forward and not in pull back mode as is the case in HH's video.

In addtion to tipping, countering and pole plant, I wonder if we could have the importance of that affirmed for your purposes and mine in completion of two-footed releases, etc. In other words, with the inclusion of inside foot pull back, does it not become easier to tighten up the turns in two-footed releases?
RRT

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks for your comments jbotti and RRT. Was practicing today with some of your pointers and I can definitely get the TFR and OFR much tighter. It's more demanding of my CA so I'm having some difficulty with it...hopefully that will sort itself out with repetition. Should have some new clips this week.
noobSkier

Postby mardale » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 pm

noobSkier wrote:it doesn't feel pleasant at that point. Should I just suck it up?

yes.
do pivot slips, take video and look at it yourself and then try more CA next time.
mardale

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm

noobSkier wrote:It's pretty similar. If I really try I can get roughly 10% more but it doesn't feel pleasant at that point. Should I just suck it up?

Don't push the range of motion if you are already against your limits. I lacked the appropriate amount of CA until I did a zillion dryland exercises to learn how to move my pelvis because it just wasn't natural to me.
Max_501

Postby mardale » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:46 am

noobskier does CA with the shoulders and nothing with the hips and, having said that he is fairly athletic, hip range of motion may not be the issue, the awareness of the range of motion required is. When we explore new movements and ranges of motion, isn't feeling uncomfortable a good indicator that something is different? Like Harald says, with any new movements, we need to exagerate initially. Pain would indicate an actual limit... until then, toughen up and just do it ;)

Noobskier - the movement you are looking for is when the hips counteract, i.e. the pelvis turns opposite to the leg or ski. If, standing at home on one leg, you can rotate the hips a given amount, then you have sufficient range of motion to show a similar amount on snow, you just have to do it while the ski is sliding

Your pelvis is just following the leg, right now. Some PT and dryland will help - but there are a lot of ideas to work on it in the essentials, off and on the snow. The tuck turns are very effective!
mardale

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm just going to throw this out there, but as I watched your last 2 videos, I'm wondering if you're truly doing the drills without "juicing" the movements to make it look correct for the camera. IOW, are you absolutely certain you're not adding any rotary/pivot motion coming from your hip sockets? The reason I ask is that I see moments in some of the turns where you appear to get a bit stuck and instead of using more tipping or more pull back to get unstuck, suddenly the ski is "breaking free" and coming around.

Don't cheat yourself by cheating at the drills. Try to become very aware of whether or not you're using twisting movements. Keep it "clean" and use the essentials; only the movements that PMTS prescribes.
HighAngles

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 am

HighAngles, can you identify specifically how I'm cheating the excersise? We have quality video from front and back, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd love to know what improvements I can make that haven't already been mentioned.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 am

noobSkier wrote:I'd love to know what improvements I can make that haven't already been mentioned.

HA isn't suggesting an additional improvement but pointing out that you may be doing something else (we call it using active rotary or juicing the skis) to get the skis to come around faster then they should given the range of motion of the Essentials shown in the skiing. Part of journey to expert level PMTS skiing is eradicating active rotary movements.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video