MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby l2ski » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:24 am

Hi noobSkier,

Did you record yourself in the last video with a go pro? I'm curious how you did it.
l2ski

Postby l2ski » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:27 am

Also, it would be interesting to see you skiing slowly.
l2ski

Postby noobSkier » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:38 am

l2ski wrote:Hi noobSkier,

Did you record yourself in the last video with a go pro? I'm curious how you did it.

GoPro sells a "smart remote" separately that can activate video recording from up to 600ft away. I mounted my go pro to a lift tower and I activate video with the remote from the top. Then I use Adobe premiere pro to zoom in on myself and track my motion (very easy). It was tricky to find the perfect spot that was within the remote's range, but when I figured it out it's essentially hassle-free video. I was initially worried about theft, but the camera is so small that on a dark lift tower its practically invisible (plus I never ski on peak hours).

l2ski wrote:Also, it would be interesting to see you skiing slowly.

Initially my intent, but on on that day we had such an uphill wind that I wouldn't have been moving.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 am

Compare the position of your pelvis to the photos in this article:

The Pelvis in Counterbalancing
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Max_501 wrote:Compare the position of your pelvis to the photos in this article:

The Pelvis in Counterbalancing

I see what you mean Max_501, Haralds inside hip is much higher than mine. Thank you, I will work on this.

Here is a new video of me this morning attempting some brushed carves with emphasis on the "o" frame.

noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Here's a video of me today trying some brushed carves again. I was off balance and rotating for the first few turns but I catch my stride from the middle to the end. Any advice is appreciated!

noobSkier

Postby AnI » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 pm

noobSkier wrote:Here is one the the alignment tests from ACBAES Book 1. Sorry about the quality, it was self-filmed with my GoPro+remote. Hopefully this one gives us what we need, but please let me know if I should try to get a better one.

This video is consistent with a mild knock-kneed alignment, maybe something around half a degree or so, nothing significant enough to make any of the PMTS drills difficult. If you post videos of other maneuvers as well, it will help to validate these observations. Additionally, when you ski on your left foot, your ski wobbles a little more than when you ski on the right foot. Do you see it each time you ski on the left leg, or was it a coincidence?
AnI

Postby l2ski » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:31 am

noobSkier wrote:Here's a video of me today trying some brushed carves again. I was off balance and rotating for the first few turns but I catch my stride from the middle to the end. Any advice is appreciated!

Hi noobSkier,

I'm clearly not an expert.

Your transitions look good in terms of free foot management, tipping and balance transfer.

How is your balance distributed after the transition and throughout the arc?
You may be putting too much weight on your inside ski too early in the arc?

Based on your hips, torso, and how close your feet are throughout the arc,
to me it appears that you don't have enough counter-balance to continue tipping
and flexing the free foot so that you get some vertical separation.
I think you need to begin counter-balancing with your new inside hip and torso more during
transition and continue with it more as the turn progresses.
Do you practicing skiing with 100% of your weight on the stance ski
until the very end of the arc?
l2ski

Postby noobSkier » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 pm

AnI wrote:This video is consistent with a mild knock-kneed alignment, maybe something around half a degree or so, nothing significant enough to make any of the PMTS drills difficult. If you post videos of other maneuvers as well, it will help to validate these observations. Additionally, when you ski on your left foot, your ski wobbles a little more than when you ski on the right foot. Do you see it each time you ski on the left leg, or was it a coincidence?

Hi AnI, Ill see if I can get someone to film me doing more of the maneuvers. The problem is that I'm pretty limited as far as what I can film with my goPro+remote setup. Skiing on my left leg is definitely the worse of my two turns and I feel it. Whenever I lose balance, its skiing on my left leg.

l2ski wrote:Hi noobSkier,

I'm clearly not an expert.

Your transitions look good in terms of free foot management, tipping and balance transfer.

How is your balance distributed after the transition and throughout the arc?
You may be putting too much weight on your inside ski too early in the arc?

Based on your hips, torso, and how close your feet are throughout the arc,
to me it appears that you don't have enough counter-balance to continue tipping
and flexing the free foot so that you get some vertical separation.
I think you need to begin counter-balancing with your new inside hip and torso more during
transition and continue with it more as the turn progresses.
Do you practicing skiing with 100% of your weight on the stance ski
until the very end of the arc?

Hi I2ski, Im trying my best with the counter, but at a certain point i feel stuck and I'm wondering if its something to do with my limited tipping range. When I'm carving, I definitely try to be 100% weighted on the stance ski...but when I'm trying to brush I think the goal is to be more or less equally weighted (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).
noobSkier

Postby rwd » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:10 am

Check out Diana's Brushed Carve e-video. She is 100% on the stance ski while brushing.
rwd

Postby l2ski » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:05 am

noobSkier wrote:Hi I2ski, Im trying my best with the counter, but at a certain point i feel stuck and I'm wondering if its something to do with my limited tipping range. When I'm carving, I definitely try to be 100% weighted on the stance ski...but when I'm trying to brush I think the goal is to be more or less equally weighted (correct me if I'm wrong anyone).

You can brush with full balance on the stance ski while holding it as flat as possible during the upper part of the turn.

From Anyone can be an Expert Skier 2, page 65:

"PMTS de-emphasizes the effort to roll the new stance ski to its inside edge. On gentle terrain,
practicing the release with PMTS movements and the Phantom Move, delay engaging the new
stance ski. Actually make an effort to keep the stance ski flat on the snow"

"De-emphasize edging the stance ski at the beginning of turns and use correct free foot actions,
and you'll be able to turn your skis completely within a ski's length of vertical distance."

I'm working on CB and pull back / holding back the free foot as well. Not doing enough of either can freeze me up during the turn
and stop tipping (because I don't want to fall on the inside ski).

Here is something that may be of help from Essentials of Skiing, page 119:

"Counterbalancing movements for an upcoming turn need to start while you are still on the previous edges,
as you are starting to flatten the skis. If you wait until you are on your new edges
before you counterbalance, it's too late."
l2ski

Postby AnI » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm

AnI wrote: Skiing on my left leg is definitely the worse of my two turns and I feel it. Whenever I lose balance, its skiing on my left leg.

Wobbling suggests that something is going on inside of your boot. It can either indicate that your foot is locked by the footbed (foodbed is too stiff, especially under the arch) and cannot pronate/supinate (which is necessary for fine balancing adjustments), or, just the opposite, that it is not well stabilized in the boot - which can again be a footbed problem or excessive volume in the boot problem. Since the video shows more of this wobbling on your left foot and you recognize that you more often lose balance on your left leg, there must be some asymmetries either between your left and right leg (length, width, shape, volume, pronation, etc.) or the way how well your left and right footbeds are built. Or perhaps you have some padding from past bootfitting work in one boot but not in the other.

If it is excessive volume in the boot, your alignment may vary from run to run. On some one-legged runs you may find it easier to balance, on others it will be more difficult; on some runs, your ski may track straight, on others it may turn under you; sometimes you will feel out of balance, sometimes not. If it is only a footbed problem, it is more likely that you will see consistent results from run to run: wobbling with no change to the overall balance.
AnI

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi guys, back with some more video! We had high expectations for the conditions but when we got to the hill it was pure ice. Definitely not my best skiing, but I did my best with what we had. All comments are appreciated!

noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Another one from the same day

noobSkier

Postby DougD » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm seeing active extension of the new stance leg during every release. This can hinder your hip flexibility, which limits CA, which limits tipping.

I defer to Max on whether this is the case and, if so, what drills/exercises would help eliminate it.
DougD

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video