MA from Luke

MA from Luke

Postby lukezhang » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:10 am

Sorry if the video doesn't follow standard. I don't have a zoom len. Just had my daughter following me for a few turns.

lukezhang

Re: MA from Luke

Postby nickia » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Luke,

I'm not an expert so I will only point out things I could see:

1. Try ask the cameraman to film from a stationary position because moving shot is harder to analyze.
2. When you release, your skis separate which is a sign of lack of free foot management.

Turn 1:

Turn 2:

Turn 3:

This is a common problem. I spent a lot of time this season working on my free foot and developed a much strong free foot awareness and control. It no longer dangles there and go for a ride.

You can review the section about Free Foot Management in Book 2 as well as the Super Phantom move:

1. Draw the free foot to stance ski
2. Practice the sponge hold turn
3. Practice boot touch exercise (Lift free foot ski and touch free ski with stance boot; it is explained in one of Diana's videos)
4. Practice holding LTE on old free foot during release

I highly recommend you to dedicated some time just on focusing on your free foot. Your fore/aft, balance, and control will improve dramatically.
nickia

Postby lukezhang » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 pm

lukezhang

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 am

Video tip: have your camera person keep filming as you ski past them for 4-5 turns. The side and rear views are as important as the front view.

Terrain/Skiing tip: for learning and MA, find a green groomer and ski as slowly as you can, making complete turns. This trail is too steep to learn new movements, which is evident in the "rushed" quality of these turns.

Your free foot management has improved. It only got away from you on one turn. Suggestion: replay that turn and try to analyze why it happened.

MA using Max_501's MA checklist (note: I am not an expert or coach):

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? Yes, but more flexing is needed
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? Somewhat, but it must begin earlier
Are the feet pulled back at transition? Yes
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? Yes
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? No. You CA/CB with your head. CA/CB must begin from the pelvis up, not the head down.
Strong inside arm? No, the arms swing back after the pole plant (especially the R arm)
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? No
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? Yes, but more flexing is needed
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? No. Lateral pushing is still evident in the top half of turns
Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn? Yes, but more is needed. Tipping should continue to increase throughout the turn.
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? Pole plants are too "busy" and often too far forward
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs to be tipped in or out? Nothing obviously wrong to me, but I'm not qualified to speak on alignment

SMIM: you need more tipping/flexing, but so does almost everyone. At this stage I think your SMIM is upper body movement. Without effective CA/CB, it's not possible to get "upside down" in the High C, which leaves you vulnerable to lateral heel pushing before the new edges engage.

Suggested drills: Angry Mother and No Swing Pole Plant. Download the videos from the HSS site and do each drill in order until you've mastered it. Don't skip any drill, no matter how elementary it may seem. Your current upper body movements are upside down (not in a good way!), so you need complete movement retraining in this area. PMTS upper body movements are not intuitive and no one ever skis their way into them (I once thought I did... I was wrong). They require conscious and active use of muscles in ways that feel "wrong" to almost everyone. The videos provide the necessary guidance.
DougD

Return to Movement Analysis and Video