MA from Luke

Re: MA from Luke

Postby Jjmdane » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 am

HH’s new blog demonstrates the stance width I was referring to, wider than shown on the MA for Luke video, but obviously not wide in the absolute sense. Very few skiing on WC, either SL or GS, esp. GS, use a super narrow stance. Obviously some are narrower than others, just as some are wider than others.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:06 am

Jjmdane wrote:HH’s new blog demonstrates the stance width I was referring to, wider than shown on the MA for Luke video, but obviously not wide in the absolute sense. Very few skiing on WC, either SL or GS, esp. GS, use a super narrow stance. Obviously some are narrower than others, just as some are wider than others.

HH does't say a word about a narrow stance blocking tipping or a wide stance blocking rotary in that blog post. Where are you getting this information from? It doesn't sound like PMTS which has many exercises where the student is asked to touch the boots together. Read the instructions of the Phantom with touch-tilt as one example.

Here's HH skiing with a stance that couldn't get any narrower because the boots are touching.

And here's an image from video HH took of my skiing during lessons. When I would let my inside ski get away from the outside ski he would instruct me to narrow my stance so the boots were touching.

Max_501

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:27 am

Jjmdane wrote:HH’s new blog demonstrates the stance width I was referring to, wider than shown on the MA for Luke video, but obviously not wide in the absolute sense. Very few skiing on WC, either SL or GS, esp. GS, use a super narrow stance. Obviously some are narrower than others, just as some are wider than others.

Stop making stuff up.....read this:

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2015/01/slalom-skiing-with-narrow-stance-is-not.html
go_large_or_go_home

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 am

go_large_or_go_home

Postby lukezhang » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 am

There shouldn't be any argument about narrow stance. If anyone has argument please read ACBE book about vertical separation about narrow stance.

As far as practice I will follow Max's advice and will post new video once I feel improvement. Thank you everyone for posting your thoughts. I am really appreciated.
lukezhang

Postby RRT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:36 pm

lukezhang wrote:The tendency is to get too back to the slope thus it's very hard to start a new turn just with tipping. Anyway you can have a difference point view.

Luke,

So, assuming your point here is that you are in the back seat or sitting back on your skis, how do you get balanced? Standing on the heels through the turn keeps you there, on your heels. By the way, it's no wonder that we see pushing of the heel on your turns. It's your go to move for survival skiing. Been there, done that a whole bunch. So then, what? In Book 1, pages 104-105, Harald offers a technique related to getting balanced on your skis during the transition. "Fore/aft balance is controlled by the actions of the free foot learned through our exercises of raising and lowering its tail." In this presentation, Harald presents in picture form that the tip is raised first. That could be a difficult move for beginners. So then, back up in the book to page 98-101 where he demonstrates picking up the tail only and mentions in Fig. d. on page 101 to "Pull the free foot aggressively toward the stance boot while keeping the tip of the free ski on the snow." The answer to your complaint above in simple terms is to pick up the heel of the free foot, tip the free ski over to its little toe edge while keeping the tip of the ski on the snow and aggessively pull back the same free foot toward the stance foot touching the rivet of the same to help in keeping the feet together.

If this is difficult for you to do, then go back further in the book and keep going back to the beginning of the book if necessary. There is no shame in that. In fact, you will read about forum respondents who do exactly that at the beginning of each season in order to get refreshed on the essentials for the coming season. If there are any quick fixes in the forum, they come to those who have already put in lots and lots and lots of work and are missing a point here or there. Wouldn't it be nice to hear that you demonstrated "skiing" across the slope (a garland) while tipping and remaining balanced or that you transitioned and got balanced while doing so?
RRT

Postby lukezhang » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:47 pm

The reason to push heel is to get pop out of skis so that quick snappy turns can be achieved. I can ski without pushing heel but I felt those turns don't have energy. I think Max has a point here. I am missing something that is to utilize skis natural pop. For that to happen I need to tip skis faster (shorten radius) before release. I didn't publish practice videos here but it doesn't mean I didn't practice. I practice garland and tipping just as much as folks here. I can show you the slow mo that I am pulling ski tails after release. The problem isn't how to get forward after release. It's not getting into too behind (unbalanced position). Such a position kills the energy in short turns. I can carve edge locked medium or long turns just as good as folks here. You guys can question the quality of my practice since I don't have proof. It's ok. My goal is not to convince you. My goal is to replicate what Jay was doing in

. Good short turn is the result of getting everything right and with flexibility and physical strength. From this forum I only see videos from Jay and HH doing this type of turns. I am a visual person. I learn from video batter than words. If you have videos of someone else from this forum showing good short turns please post here.
lukezhang

Postby noobSkier » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm

lukezhang wrote:I can carve edge locked medium or long turns just as good as folks here.

Post video. If you find these easier, it might help to understand why. You may not be doing them as well as you think you are.

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2840

Also, Max_501 has an excellent short turn, as do a few others here.

noobSkier

Postby Jjmdane » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 pm

What am I making up go large? That stances vary on the WC? Max, would you advocate skiing at all times with your boots touching? Of course not, but you would do it to learn a specific movement. There has to be some nuance involved in acquiring any new skill set. You can select still frames to anecdotally support any theory. Once again go large, Max, and anyone else,I am not advocating a wide stance, just that one can get too narrow,just as one can be too wide. In the sills of Victor Muffet Jeandet are his boots touching? OMG go large, there I go,making stuff up again. Max, I never said HH said those things in that blog, I offered my interpretation of the stance shown in the still shots. You don’t agree, fine, just don’t misconstrue what I wrote. English spoken here.
Jjmdane

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 am

RRT
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:58 am

Jjmdane wrote:I offered my interpretation of the stance shown in the still shots. You don’t agree, fine, just don’t misconstrue what I wrote. English spoken here.

This was your MA advice which we have been discussing.

Jjmdane wrote:Try experimenting with a slightly wider stance to encourage more tipping and prevent the heel push at the end or the turn.

How would widening the OPs stance encourage more tipping? Put another way, how does a narrow stance inhibit tipping?

How would widening the stance prevent a heel push?
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:19 am

For the sake of mediation, here are several points:

1. Widening stance does not encourage tipping or prevent heel push (quite the opposite actually).

2. Recommending a slightly wider stance may be a judgment call by an experienced coach depending on the circumstances (possibly locked feet).

3. Point 2 is not written anywhere and is judgment call if all else has failed.

4. There is nothing we have seen from this skier that would indicate that this is the appropriate course of action.
noobSkier

Postby RRT » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm

lukezhang wrote: My goal is to replicate what Jay was doing in
(the video).

You're willing to admit that you would like to replicate what Jay is doing. That must then mean that just looking at the video of Jay isn't enough. In other words, you actually would like information (words) to know what Jay is doing. I once took a snowboard lesson. The guy said, "Just watch me and do what I do." My question was, "What is he doing?" And, when I tried to replicate what the guy was doing, it didn't come close. The same could be said of most skiing instruction.

lukezhang wrote: I think Max has a point here. I am missing something that is to utilize skis natural pop.

Here are some dastardly ( :P ) words that will help you understand what you are missing: "The (PMTS) movements used here will produce the correct skeletal stacking to utilize the natural turning radius of the skis." -Book 1 - page 124 on "Aggressive, short-radius turns." - right to your interest. These are terrible words to you, I'm sure. But, here is the point and what you're missing. These words tell you that what you are missing is that, in order to get a "natural pop" from your skis, it requires proper body alignment and movements. It's going to be hard for you to replicate what you are "seeing" without learning the necessary proper body alignment and movements. Back to Jay, your question is, "What is it that I do to replicate what Jay is doing?" I'm sure Jay's answer would not be, "Just do what I do."

If the words I'm writing don't work for you, there are multiple videos online that Harald has produced that include PMTS movements with minimal word use. I would suggest you seek them out. Or, you can look at any and all the PMTS videos available online and shut off the sound. That might encourage you to seek out answers to such questions as, "What is he saying? What am I missing?" By the way, the best place to go to avoid words is not the forum.
RRT

Postby lukezhang » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:29 pm

I am focusing on short press (increasing tipping before release) to get some pop. Please take a look.

lukezhang

Postby ErikCO » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 pm

While others may disagree, I would suggest that you should be working on a number of fundamentals (primarily tipping and releasing without rotation) rather than getting a "pop" from skis.

Ultimately, we are all skiing for fun, and if you are finding the pursuit of the skis moving you from one turn to another to be what you want, feel free to do so. However, I don't think you are likely to get meaningful MA, at least on this forum, if you aren't working on the essential movements that make up PMTS. Look at the video that noobSkier posted for an idea of the speed that you should be going at to practice. I'm also including a video taken of me during a recent camp as another example of the speed you should be going at. I'm not going to say that I was doing a particularly good job of the essential I was practicing (counterbalance), and as I remember, Harald had a good number of comments about my skiing in it (thanks, BTW). Also, as any who have skied with me can attest, when I'm free skiing, I generally look much better than this, whether I'm on groomed, crud, bumps, or steeps. I'm including it just to give you an idea of the speed and deliberateness you should be practicing with. I can't lay hands on it right now, but I wish I had some video from camp last year to post as it shows even slower and more deliberate practice. MA video of things like this will get you helpful feedback.

ErikCO

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video