MA from Luke

Re: MA from Luke

Postby lukezhang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Leaning is needed to hold on LTE before tipping. If you have a better way to do that I am happy to learn.
lukezhang

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm

lukezhang wrote:Leaning is needed to hold on LTE before tipping. If you have a better way to do that I am happy to learn.

There is absolutely no concept of "leaning" in PMTS, and I hope to god that Harald doesn't see this. My suggestion: Go practice some phantom garlands (like in the video)...if you do them correctly, you will find out on your own that "leaning" plays no role in LTE balance. Alignment could also be a factor.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 pm

lukezhang wrote:Leaning is needed to hold on LTE before tipping.

This is the 2nd item in this thread that is not PMTS. Where are you getting this from? Are you mixing what you have learned from the PMTS materials with something else?
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 pm

Here is the slow mo
I am holding LTE without doing o frame. It's OK that you tell me it's not right move. Showing me the right move will help me improve better. Do you any good video doing holding LTE without o frame? If o frame is only way that is fine.
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 am

lukezhang wrote:I am holding LTE without doing o frame. It's OK that you tell me it's not right move. Showing me the right move will help me improve better. Do you any good video doing holding LTE without o frame? If o frame is only way that is fine.

Why would you want to do it without an o-frame ? We want to tip the new inside ski (old outside ski) to the LTE while the old inside ski is still on the LTE which creates an o-frame.

When someone here says you are leaning instead of tipping they mean you are using the upper body to get the skis on edge rather than tipping the feet.
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 am

Ok, I get the idea of two LTEs to create O frame and it's ok during drill. During free skiing O frame doesn't look nice. Also release time is very short. I will be very surprised that you can show me an O frame short turn video.

From the video I am using leaning to hold on LTE with inside ski tail. I don't think I am using leaning to tip into new BTE. Would you please show me the times in the slow mo video when I was using leaning rather than tipping into BTE. Please don't think I am objecting to your criticisms. I am trying to understand where and why I am doing wrong.

I did find some deficiency in this drill. The balance on right leg isn't good. Thus I find it's really hard to hold on LTE. Definitely I need to work on it.
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 am

Which of the PMTS books and video do you have?
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 am

I have all the books. You can point me to the reference of the book. However skiing is about practicing dynamically. Reading books doesn't prove effective, at least to me.
lukezhang

Postby RRT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:08 am

The O frame is a beautiful thing and leads to beautiful skiing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMn5UZNFxc
RRT

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 am

lukezhang wrote:Reading books doesn't prove effective, at least to me.

Then how are you learning the PMTS movements?

Which videos do you have?
Max_501

Postby SkiMoose » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 pm

You can think whatever you want about what looks good in freeskiing vs. drills etc, but leaning and lack of and o-frame are limiting your ability to tighten the radius of your turn. This is causing you to seek other, non-pmts, movements like dragging your inside ski. The best thing for your skiing will be to slow down even more, do single (unlinked) one and two footed releases until you are performing them at a level comparable to HH, Max 501 and others. Oh yeah, and read the books, don't ask questions, just read the books :D
SkiMoose

Postby lukezhang » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 pm

I have following videos brush turn, short quick turn, angry mother, no swing pole plant, performance free skiing.

I like to do drills as long as it's effective to improve free skiing. I am not against doing drill in oframe. However I am yet to see a video doing super phantom move with touch tilt, especially how you hold LTE while lifting new inside ski.
lukezhang

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 am

See the following threads for examples of skiing with an o-frame at the highest levels.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3065

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4569

h.harb wrote:"O" frame a PMTS original. Narrow stance, another PMTS original. Flex as opposed to extend, you get it, well it goes on and on, yet the blind don't see it. The "O" frame creates the fastest transition for the hips to the new angles. Pivoting only creates hard edge sets, late pressuring and time loss.
Max_501

Postby lukezhang » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 am

Thanks a lot Max. It might change my view of O frame :lol: . I will get some O frame super phantom move practice today.
lukezhang

Postby dj_61 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am

lukezhang wrote:I like to do drills as long as it's effective to improve free skiing.

I am no ski instructor. But I am a college professor with 35+ years of experience. And this simple sentence to me indicates 1) resistance to learning and doing what needs to be done and 2) possible Dunning Kruger effect.
dj_61

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video