Jeet MA Request - 18092016 - SMIM = Flex to release

Re: Jeet MA Request - 18092016 - SMIM = Flex to release

Postby Jeet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Obrules15,

Below are two quotes from HH from two separate posts. The second post could be the answer to my question (highlighted in bold).

Re: Men Slalom Alta Badia

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:25 pm

If the line, called the force line, (which is drawn from the CG to the ski edge under the foot) is outside the center of knee mass and you are totally counteracted, you are probably too far knock kneed aligned. If the force line is outside the whole knee mass and you are counteracted as much as possible; you are too far knocked kneed. This is one metric I devised to measure movement alignment. Skiers who have a limited hip counter acting range have very little ability to make alignment adjustments or compensations. That’s why its’ so important, as we get older to have the best footbeds (not just any footbeds) and be well aligned. We have less range of motion in our major joints.

The second post...

Re: CA and CB does it come from the hip or the upper body?

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:50 am
For all those who don't understand how to interpret WC skiing and should probably refrain from using world cup examples as a basis for their assumptions until they do. This is for you, happy valentine.

Alignment is so individual I have to take it case by case. But generally, knock kneed skiers are usually (but not always) more flexible, but they have to use more counteracting to reduce the inward rotation of their knock-kneed leg. When you are too Knock-kneed, it means you use more femur rotation to the inside, CA holds that back.

However, Hirscher, Herbst, even Benni, and all other slalom skiers need and use lots of CA, they are set up totally bowlegged and yet still use tons of counteracting. So the conclusion is, in tight turns close together, CA has to be used to control rotational forces, developed by the inherent actions, needed to perform in this event. These guys use the heck out of their feet and they have incredible feet, I think you discount or are unaware of this important concept.

Now in real life, in tight round close together turns, more counter is beneficial, because you can hold the ski on edge and make it grip to get a real release. That is PMTS, you can deviate from PMTS and use many other forms of ski technique that involve no or less counteracting, but justifying that you need less CA, can only be based on performance, (video) not assumptions or feel. A sure sign that a skier is compensating for not CA the hips, is lots of tip lead. That unfortunately doesn't act as an effective substitute for the right way to CA.

In skiing with more connected turns closer together like slalom, you have to use more counteracting.

In order to use less CA, if you want to use Cuche here it’s OK, but it has more to do with the "strength of your feet, and tipping ability of the feet to hold the edge, and less to do with whether or not you are bow legged. Well set up skiers who are toward bowlegged, all CA in slalom. And no knocked knee skiers are alive and skiing on the world cup, without lots of CA.
Jeet

Postby Jeet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Very interesting, I have read two articles regarding this issue as I suspected this was the case (links below).... I have made changes to the cuff on my left boot (which have not done on previous MA videos and should of mentioned in my first post + also there is 1mm reduction in sole canting). There seems to be some improvements comparing it to previous videos. I will adjust the cuff a little more and take another video.

When I am carving my left knee drops to the inside towards the end of the turn but I am not knock kneed on my left leg as seen in the video + I am not achieving lower body angles on my left stance leg. So I must be fighting the cuff. I will get another video.

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... t-but.html

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -race.html
Jeet

Postby Jeet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 am

Hi Max501,

What do you think of the video, we didn't really knuckle down on whether or not if there was an extension present. I am also working on improving my turns to the right (ie the left leg being the stance leg) (More CB & CA) as kindly suggested by deicreo.

Jeet
Jeet

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video