MA for mountainbum

Re: MA for mountainbum

Postby DougD » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10 pm

mountainbum wrote:h.harb: I'm surprised you noticed my swayback just from the video! I've had that problem for a long time, and only one person, an examiner, ever noticed it. The suggestions about ramp angle seem worth trying out. In response to the lateral alignment, I have a couple more videos that I took--although they weren't as good, they clearly showed an Aframe at the start of every turn. If you like, I could post them if that would be helpful.

Heh. You've just experienced a small sample of the expertise HH, Diana and their other coaches bring to every PMTS student. Imagine how much they do in person.

I got more lasting skiing value from Diana's examination of my (relatively normal) feet than from 30+ years of traditional ski lessons and bootfitting. She spotted a 25 year old R knee injury before I even got my street shoes off. I'd told a dozen traditional instructors and fitters about that problem - and got no advice or help. Most couldn't see it even after being told about it, even when being paid to ski with me in a private lesson. Diana spotted it while I was walking into the shop and fixed it for good.

Get thee to Dumont! :D
DougD

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:57 pm

h.harb wrote:We are always looking for coaches, that we can develop for our camps. Of the pool of coaches we have in Harb Ski systems, about 3/4 were profession ski teachers at some level before joining us. Five of our coaches have developed out of our campers. They evolved into coaches through our training and accreditation.

Mountainbum in the second video: Notice that your back has some Lordosis, also known as swayback. This is a condition in which the spine in the lower back has an excessive curvature. The spine naturally curves at the neck, upper back, and lower back to help absorb shock and support the weight of the head. Lordosis occurs when the natural arch in the lower back, or lumbar region, curves more than normal. This can lead to excess pressure on the spine, causing pain.

I suggest you try two things to reduce this position, heel lift and or toe lift. We have skis with these lifts built into the binding. We often send skiers out on both pair to test their fore/aft balance and to evaluate which type of lift is best suited. Everyone is different. You may be able to reduce your lordosis with experimentation. Also the ramp inside the boot can have an effect on lower back position. At your age you probably don't feel any back issues, but further down the road it may appear. Something to consider.

As far as lateral alignment, partly it your movements and partly it's your boots. Some frames in the 2nd video show "A frame" at teh ned of your turn and in your transition. If you can have your video coming straight at the camera for better alignment viewing and evaluation.

I have the opposite issue; my spine doesn't curve much at all. If I do a seal stretch it looks like an obtuse angle from the side rather than a curve. This despite being fairly flexible in the hips and legs. And of course i'm bow legged :|
hyper_squirrel7

Postby skijim13 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:21 pm

You are in the right place to improve, Harald is a true skiing master it is an honor to have him give you feedback. Since going from PSIA skiing to PMTS my skiing has greatly improve.
skijim13

Postby skijim13 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:00 am

Mountainbum,
Since I have a PSIA background and know both systems the movements are completly different. A key thing I learned is that you can't mix the two and have it work well. To start learning the system start from the feet up first, so at this point don't work on the upper body. The key to unlocking the movements is to first learn the PMTS way of making turns, currently you make turns by extending and steering both legs. However in PMTS instead of using outside leg steering with inside to follow, we make turns by lightening the inside foot and tipping it to the little toe edge, this results in the center of mass moving inside both feet and for the first time the sidecut of the ski will make the turn for you using what these skis are designed to do. Much of the movements of the PSIA are still based on when the skis did not have a sidecut and needed rotary input to make the turn. Once you switch from steering to tipping you can move on to next set of skills which are outlined in the books. I can tell you from experience tipping correctly takes a great deal of work which I am still working on. My suggestion is to first get the first book, Expert I and video Expert I, and validate that you are doing the moves correctly by video feedback or better yet go to a camp in PMTS. If you are near Blue Mountain Ski Area you are welcome to ski with Lorie and I.

Jim
skijim13

Postby mountainbum » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:54 am

Skijim13: Thanks for the input, I think the first thing Im going to do is get aligned and then start working on my movements. :D
mountainbum

Postby mountainbum » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Well, I did it! I got aligned! Many thanks to Walker and Becky at HSS. Look for upcoming video of post-alignment skiing! :mrgreen:
mountainbum

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:35 pm

How much was it? Did you get new boots?
hyper_squirrel7

Postby mountainbum » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:06 am

It was surprisingly cheap. The boots I had worked fine so that saved quite a bit. I think total once the permanent canting is installed will come to about 150...but of course YMMV depending on whether or not one would want/need custom footbeds et cetera. Calling the shop would probably be a much better way to find out :D
mountainbum

Postby midwif » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:43 am

There is no pressure to buy new gear at the shop if what you have suffices. They will tell it to you straight.
If anything, its an under sell philosophy. But if, for example, Diana says your equipment is "holding you back", that mild statement means its shit.
But they definitely want your alignment to be vastly improved when you leave the shop.
midwif

Postby skijim13 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:11 am

Great to hear that, I got my boots from the shop and it was more than worth the money for the improvements it made in my skiing, Walker does a great job.
skijim13

Postby mountainbum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:03 pm

This was the first day after getting aligned--the canting on the sole isn't permanent yet, which is probably good as it looks like I might need to tweak a few things. I definitely felt better with this alignment and balancing on one foot wasn't really a problem so progress has been made!

This run was my attempt at brushed carves on a steep blue slope--not the best for practicing but easy to see flaws! I went ahead and added music to get rid of the loud audio. I'm skiing at the beginning and the end.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mugmg81SBys[/youtube]

Here are some photos of carving on a green slope:

mountainbum

Postby mountainbum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:05 pm

mountainbum

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:56 pm

Much better! The mountain looks very nice too.

I'd focus on tipping and releasing; you still have a bit of a wedge at times.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby mountainbum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:55 pm

Yes, I noticed that. :? I've been doing it for so long, I'm sure it will take a while to retrain my neurons!
mountainbum

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Can you see how low you are during the lower part of the C? From this position the only way to release is to stand up, and you do.
When you do the phantom keep lifting and tipping the inside ski and let the stance leg get long (don't push it out though) so that you can release the turn by flexing the old stance ski.
Your phantom tipping will work a lot better for you with some counter balance and counteracting.
It's a long road. They're not called essentials for nothing. You're off to a good start.
CO_Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video