Movement analysis for Skijim

Movement analysis for Skijim

Postby skijim13 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:34 am

I have been working on my skiing since the short turn camp. I believe that I CA better in the left direction than the right. My focus was improving my phantom move, holding onto the LTE, keeping my CA till I start on my new LTE. Any feedback would be welcome.
Jim

skijim13

Re: Movement analysis for Skijim

Postby l2ski » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Jim, do you have a higher resolution video? It's hard to see the feet.
l2ski

Postby skijim13 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:37 am

I took it in the morning before the slope was busy the lighting was not great. I look at the orginial and see if it can be improved. I take one every week I try a brighter light and have my wife focus on the feet.
skijim13

Postby l2ski » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:41 am

What I have recently learned is that If you zoom in a little more and set your camera to use 720p,
then the result will be very good.

The current video on youtube is at 240p, so it's very small.

Also, I would not recommend using 1080p. From my experience, 1080p
is slow when viewing frame by frame in a video editor because the frames are large (1920x1080 pixels
versus 1280x720).

I've learned all of this recently because I have had three video sessions with my cousin
in the last few weeks. I'm working on smoothing out my transition by transferring
balance to the LTE of the old free ski. My videos reveal that my old free foot
is rolling onto the BTE before my old stance ski goes flat, so I have a wedge entry in the transition.
Once I have that nailed, I need to specifically target counter acting.
l2ski

Postby skijim13 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks I will try that in the future I have a camera that records in both MP4 and AVH so I can send it directly to the ipad which I have MA software. I have then been loading this directly to the you tube account from the ipad. I had that problem with the start of the turn also and what helped was to traverse on the LTE of the uphill ski and then make a turn using a phantom move.
skijim13

Postby theorist » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:56 am

skijim, I have no trouble with 1080p on my system (late 2014 MacBook Pro, using QuickTime as a viewer), so whether or not you need to go down to 720p will depend on your system. Of course an iPad is much slower than a MPB, but I'd experiment with both resolutions; you may find 1080p works fine.
theorist

Postby Hobbit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:14 am

I think that modern hardware including MacBook, iPad, iPhone, decent PCs and higher end Android tablets and phones handle graphics / video at 1080p just fine.
The problem usually is with the cheap camcorders which claim to handle 1080p resolution but due to the limited hardware resources use simplified video compression methods with a lot of video encoding artifacts especially present within rapidly changing frame content. All sporting events recording will suffer quality on cheap digital camcorders. Going to lower resolution on cheap camcorder will make its operations easier and resulting video will contain less distortions but the overall video quality will naturally be lower.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Hobbit » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Regarding the original MA request his is what I see:

1. I see that the turns corridor narrows. The first couple of arks are much more closed than the following. I think that the speed increases a bit because the arks not being finished. The shallow arks also give you less time in high C phase with less speed control. I believe what helps in this respect is a much stronger inside foot tipping by the end of the ark. It helps to continue the ark longer at the bottom plus it sets you up for a better transition and high C phase.

On the same topic of finishing the ark I'd like describe what I am doing on such slow speed turns. During the turn I keep the ankle co-contracted so the foot direction is pretty much aligned with the leg direction. But if I relax the ankle at the very end of the turn when my leg direction change ROM is exhausted my foot can passively rotate in the ankle joint some further uphill where the ski wants to go. Do you think this is acceptable option?

2. On some turns to the left there is a delayed inside foot pool in motion towards the stance foot. I think it's just the timing of the motion but the distance between the skis increases and then rapid inside foot closure creates some rotation and the ski tail washes out just a little bit. It is also possible that this problem is caused by old inside / new outside foot not being tipped enough on LTE during transition.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby skijim13 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:20 am

Thanks for the feedback, one of the things I have working more on is LTE to the end of the turn, I believe I get lazy in tipping till the end of the turn. Anyone have any good drills to further help with the finishing of my turns?
skijim13

Postby l2ski » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 am

In reference to my experience with the 1080p, now I realize that it's probably the software
that I'm using. I actually have very high end hardware and just discovered how to extract
the frame to .jpg files instead of using a video editor.
So I agree, 1080p should not be a problem on new hardware,
provided that the software is also efficiently designed.

Jim, it's a sad short season for us on the east coast! It's just about done.
l2ski

Postby rwd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:28 pm

skijim13 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, one of the things I have working more on is LTE to the end of the turn, I believe I get lazy in tipping till the end of the turn. Anyone have any good drills to further help with the finishing of my turns?

Jim,
One of the things I've been working on is to keep tipping the free foot , WHILE relaxing or flexing the stance leg at the end of the low-C. When I do it right, I can feel that my hip is still dropping into the turn right until the end, when I have transferred balance to the LTE of the old free ski. It puts you in a position of strong balance on the LTE, from which you can choose how quickly to release. I was hoping to get some video, but I think the season is over in NE. Went for a bike ride today!
rwd

Postby DougD » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:06 am

rwd wrote:One of the things I've been working on is to keep tipping the free foot , WHILE relaxing or flexing the stance leg at the end of the low-C. When I do it right, I can feel that my hip is still dropping into the turn right until the end, when I have transferred balance to the LTE of the old free ski. It puts you in a position of strong balance on the LTE, from which you can choose how quickly to release.

Great suggestion, rwd. This might be a useful exercise to reduce my tendency to widen stance and lose tipping angles at the end of my turns/going into transition (especially at the end of turns to the R). As always, any comment on this idea from a coach is welcome.
DougD

Postby skijim13 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:54 am

Good suggestion, try it this weekend in the wet snow. Sad that the season in the Northeast is almost over.
skijim13

Postby rwd » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Jim,
Harald covered this topic in Essentials, under the heading "when do we flex without releasing" and demonstrates it's effect with the "pole lean". Experiment with the timing of when you start flexing while still tipping - too soon and you lose ski bend, too late and it's difficult to tighten the arc. Good luck.
rwd

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:52 pm

rwd wrote:Harald covered this topic in Essentials, under the heading "when do we flex without releasing" and demonstrates it's effect with the "pole lean". Experiment with the timing of when you start flexing while still tipping - too soon and you lose ski bend, too late and it's difficult to tighten the arc. Good luck.

This is a black level movement mainly for racers or those that want to put their hip on the snow. Not something worth messing with until you find that you can't get your hip closer than 6" to the snow.
Max_501

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video