Video analysis on sub optimal conditions

Video analysis on sub optimal conditions

Postby Jjmdane » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:42 pm

I think it would be very useful to see video of PMTS technique on less than optimal, New England type conditions, I.e., semi boilerplate, dust on crust, icy bumps, etc.Obviously it would not look as polished as on perfectly carveable snow but it would be very instructive for those of us who ski crappy conditions a good percentage of the time. I instruct at Cannon and by the time I get to free ski the snow has been ridden hard and put up wet.
Jjmdane

Re: Video analysis on sub optimal conditions

Postby nightsh » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Not sure if this counts but: In the free skiing dvd, HH is skiing mud (literally).
nightsh

Postby ToddW » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:04 pm

Some of what you want is already available.

The bumps in one of the Expert Skier book vids were steep, nasty, and genuine Vermont Powder (the run under chair 1 iirc on a rare ice day) With a skier of Harald's level, it doesn't look much different at all. In fact several of the runs in PFS and ES 1 & 2 are challenging conditions (by NE standards) but he's so utterly in balance and so efficient that it's easy to not notice the conditions.

It's not just Harald or former national team racers who make it look that easy on tougher conditions. Jay does it. So do Diana and Rich M. and Walter and Max S. and Jasper and Glenn and Chris B. and others. Skiersynergy posted a video of his short turns in spring conditions a few years ago. Take a look -- it'll be one of his last several posts. As an instructor, you'd probably be interested to read all of his posts on this forum. For boilerplate and ice bumps, read all of geoffda's posts about skiing ice. (Skiersynergy and geoffda are two of the best ski instructors in North America. Both ski and teach incomparably better than what I've observed demo team members doing over the years at that the eastern division's Masters Academy.)
ToddW

Postby DougD » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:56 am

+1

Skiing with the coaches Todd mentioned is an eye opener. I've also skied with a handful of other WC and national team skiers in NE conditions and they come close (and were certainly comfortable in any conditions). What sets PMTS expert skiers apart is their utter consistency, which comes from skiing based on one, movements-based system. In fact, until you get to know them individually, they're almost impossible to tell apart (at least to my non-expert eyes). That's unique in my experience, and it's true no matter what terrain or snow they're on.
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:46 am

Jjmdane wrote:I think it would be very useful to see video of PMTS technique on less than optimal, New England type conditions, I.e., semi boilerplate, dust on crust, icy bumps, etc.Obviously it would not look as polished as on perfectly carveable snow but it would be very instructive for those of us who ski crappy conditions a good percentage of the time. I instruct at Cannon and by the time I get to free ski the snow has been ridden hard and put up wet.

Boilerplate and dust on crust (assuming its not breakable crust) can be fun to ski because the surface doesn't break away from the ski like crumbly snow, but they require a delicate touch, especially at the top of the turn. Icy bumps can be a challenge for the best mogul skiers because of the higher speeds when skiing ice, but if you are fast enough with flexing and extending it still looks smooth. The surface that results in the biggest visual difference is refrozen crud and chickenheads because it bounces the skier around and is constantly breaking away causing an early pressure release at the skis.
Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video