Video MA Request for Jeet

Video MA Request for Jeet

Postby Jeet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Guys,

I have been slow posting footage of me skiing, the vids I have were rushed and of poor quality. I finally got some decent footage of me skiing (Slow mo). Hopefully, good enough for some feedback and things I should work on.

Previously I posted about some alignment issues when I went to La Plagne. I have made changes to boot setup and foot bed. (I know this is not recommended but I think its better than what I have before, I have been making changes and then judging the changes through video). I still need to make some changes according to this video. The knock-knee is still there but I have managed to reduce it, a lot. (I have no choice until I get to camp and I just don't want to do nothing about it).

Self MA
1. In the earlier turns I feel there is a slight extension (Maybe?)
2. CA - i think its decent - I have been working on this
3. CB - decent - there could be more
4. My turn towards the right seems stronger compared to the left (My right leg is more knock-kneed)
5. Inside foot management has improved but could be much better (I know this will improve with better alignment + technique)

I would really appreciate any further advice/criticism for anyone kind enough to provide one. Also alignment comments would be very much appreciated.

I Hope everyone has a fruitful season.

* I hope PMTS can come to the UK (One day, One day)

Thanks in advance

Jeet
Jeet

Re: Video MA Request for Jeet

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:07 pm

I can't give super-expert advice, but one thing I'll mention is this: HH says "you're always practicing ...[even if you aren't intending to]." With that in mind, consider your stop at the end of the run. Weight inside, zero counter-action and counter-balance. Yes, even stopping is an opportunity to practice.

Pro Camp Tip: HH grades you on how you get off the lift. Did you turn by tipping or stemming? You'd be surprised what a great learning opportunity the slow departure from the lift is.
NoCleverName

Postby Jeet » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:34 pm

@NoCleverName I overlooked/ignored the stop. Thank you for the feed back, ill take that tip away with me in my next session.
Jeet

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:27 pm

i think noclevername has actually nailed your SMIM....at no stage throughout your run were you able to completely balance one your outside ski. Notice how the diverging inside ski kept de-stabilising you - a clear indication that you have weight on that ski. The only course of action available to you is to stand/ push on the uphill ski just before the transition - hence the extension looking move...
It is clear that you are using a phantom move, but your lack of committed balance to the outside/ stance leg is undoing all your efforts...
Remember, speed is only going to lie to you/ mask poor movement patterns/balance....re-visit the phantom move chapters and do them at snails pace. This will highlight where your balance is lacking/ where it should be....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby NoCleverName » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:58 pm

Fear of commitment: alignment or other issues with unsatisfactory boot fit.
NoCleverName

Postby Jeet » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:26 am

Brilliant. Very great full for the feedback. I'll plug the SMIM into my next session. I'll follow up with another video as as soon as I can.

@goLarge I believe your in the UK. Would be great to have a skii together if possible?

Jeet
Jeet

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:34 am

The alignment looks 'in the ball park'.....if you watch the turn initiation, the legs are parallel - in fact, the inside leg is leading, indicating strong tipping...The knock-knee look is coming after the turn has been established....Because you are not balanced 100% on the stance leg, your inside tipping stops as you have to stand back onto that ski...The ski then diverges as balance is regained and you start tipping again....this then destabilises you as your legs move apart....and the cycle continues...

Everything that is happening above the boots is as a consequence of this....

Once you start your turn, your free foot (free ski inside edge) needs to be pressed hard against the stance boots inside ankle rivet and held there until the start of the 'new' turn...This requires a strong squeeze of the adductor muscles in the top of your inside leg...These muscles are rarely used and you prob need to learn how to 'switch them on'..Read ACBAES 2 Chapter 6 - Pole Press. Point to note - its an ankle squeeze not a squeeze of the legs together...this will guide you in locating the correct muscles to use..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Jeet » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:47 am

This is great stuff. My first real MA video. Can't wait to put this into action. This stuff is helping with my own MA. For my next MA I'll put a video of me going very slowly just to make sure I am on the right track.

@go_large_or_go_home, @NoCleverName once again thanks for the detailed and actionable feedback.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Max_501 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Impressive MA from our forum regulars!

I probably sound like a broken record but...

Inside foot management = pull back to stance boot, pull in to stance boot, tip to LTE

Spend some time working on the Super phantom with touch-tilt:

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.

When learning, you can begin with keeping the tip of the free ski on the snow, but the goal is to keep the whole ski lifted throughout the turn which is a true test of your ability to balance on the outside ski.

Teach the Pole Press drill (pages 68 - 69 of book 2) to one of your friends and ask them to spend a few minutes working with you so you get the feel for the muscular effort needed to keep the inside foot under control.
Max_501

Postby Jeet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:56 am

Appreciate the feedback @Max_501. Having another session tomorrow, will work on these moves diligently and slowly.
Jeet

Postby Jeet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:47 am

Update on my SMIM.

I have been putting this into practice for the past week. It's started to become second nature in the last day, but it's made be more balanced and confident. (It's also kinda made me aware of my counter balance, when I am not counter balanced I cannot press the inside boot against the stance with the force described my Max in this post and by Mr Harb in his videos.) On my last day there were some large icy patch, tucking that inside boot against the stance is what got me through.

I don't have a video just yet, as you guys know I am often skii alone and whenever there is an opportunity to record I will upload ASAP. Since I have been working on this movement I have had very good feedback from other skiers (However, as instructed I always take this with a pinch of salt unless I see a video of myself)

Enough of my descriptions of feelings, but this post was [b]just re-iterate my appreciation for identifying my SMIM[/b]. I am looking forward to uploading my next video.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Jeet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:29 am

Hi Guys,

Just got the rare opportunity to take videos of my skiing. I have been working on the pole press exercise and keeping my feet together + Super phantom with touch n tilt as Max501 suggested.

I would be grateful for an MA on my latest videos. I am the skier in the red skii pants. The videos may not be great when I am the top of the slope but it does get clearer when I move towards the camera. My friend shot these, he does not skii but was filming from top.

Thanks in advance.

Jeet

Postby Jeet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:33 am

Copying the youtube link in a browser maybe clearer rather than watching embedded on the page.

Jeet
Jeet

JEET MA REQUEST PART 2

Postby Jeet » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:14 am

Hi Guys,

I made a post yesterday regarding my MA. The youtube videos maybe of poor quality hence not many members feeding back. I have one video that is better and is shot from an angle where you can see what my legs and upper body is doing. My SMIM was the touch n tilt, not letting my feet separate. I would be very great full if you guys could be some feedback regarding my improvements/ wrong moves / and essentials I need to work on. I have been working hard since I had my last MA :). I would appreciate any feedback.

I think this video is best played in full screen and in HD setting. I am the skier in the red pants, going slowly near the lifts.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby DougD » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:19 am

First, good job not running over that snowboarder who sat down right in front of you. :?

As to the skiing, you begin every transition with a big UP move (extension). Your footwork has improved, but this is not PMTS skiing.

Flexing to release is a mandatory movement. Review Chapter 4 - Releases of ACBAES1. Do all the exercises there, in order and s-l-o-w-l-y... no more than half the speed you're skiing in these vids (at most).
DougD

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video