MA request for sburman

MA request for sburman

Postby sburman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi All

I would really appreciate MA on the 2 clips below, in particular thoughts on SMIM. Apologies for slightly shaky video, but this is all I have at present.

My thoughts:
- I have been working on flexing and counterbalancing drills, but my flexing in particular looks poor. My legs appear quite stiff.
- my short turns are not particularly round. Is this caused by lack of flexing to release ?
- I have exaggerated my hand position on the one run, but knuckles not pointing sufficiently up

Anyway would appreciate any and all comments, and particularly thoughts on SMIM.

Thanks
Saul
sburman

Re: MA request for sburman

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Saul,
In discussion with some of the other coaches who post here, we think the best thing you can do is start back with tipping. work on executing proper a proper phantom. The first chapter of book 1 is a good place to start.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby skijim13 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:58 am

I agree that you need to work on tipping, without it none of the other essentials work well. If you have all the videos and books after you work on the first book and videos from expert I, the essentials have a video just on tipping and from experience this takes a great deal of work to get good at. Harald also has many great free videos on youtube.

skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:29 am

sburman wrote:Hi All

I would really appreciate MA on the 2 clips below, in particular thoughts on SMIM.l

Do you have any video demonstrating a super phantom?
Max_501

Postby sburman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks for your comments. I guess it is disappointing (but unsurprising) that my tipping is so poor. I have done the tipping drills in the past but given how infrequently I get to ski, I confess I have not done quite a few of them for some time. So I'll go back to square one. As a a matter of interest, is there anything within the tipping itself that you can see? E.g. Tipping OK to engage but not increasing throughout the turn? Or is it simply a matter of tip and tip some more?

Max, I'll be on snow tomorrow again and will see if I can get some Super Phantom footage.

Thanks
sburman

Postby skijim13 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:28 am

I would sugest that you go onto Haralds webstite and build a tipping board, and then follow the drills for dryland training with the board. You will be able to work on your tipping any time you would like to. From the site you will learn more about the other factors that can reduce your ability to tip further. I use my tipping board when I am not on the snow to keep my balance and tipping skill sharp.
skijim13

Postby sburman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi All

I spent most of the morning working on tipping drills including phantom and super phantom moves. In addition, I did some pole dragging to try and improve my flexing. All of this was done on flat green terrain.

Thanks to my long suffering wife, I was able to get some super phantom footage as requested by Max. At times, I appear to be in balance on one ski, but equally there are times when I almost find myself less than gracefully planting my face in the snow. The "stumbles" that I have included I have attributed to lack of counterbalance, although I suspect there may be something else at play here?

In addition, I have included a video of a short run after doing some drills. To my mind at least, the tipping looks marginally improved, although it is possible that I have been fooled by the flatness of the slope. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I have 5 more days here in Telluride, which will be the end of the season for me, so I would really appreciate any help you can give me to make the most of this time.

Thank you very much for all the time and effort you guys give to helping us struggling mortals!

Saul

Super phantom

Short run
sburman

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Saul,
Your skiing is improved from the first clips, but you still appear to be very rigid in your approach to PMTS skiing. I went through your YouTube channel, and noticed a clip from 2008 at Fernie. while not PMTS movements, you were moving. Now that you are focused on PMTS movements, it seems you're locked up, rigid, and not moving. I encourage you to relax, loosen up, and explore your movement boundaries. PMTS is about moving, not skiing stiff, afraid you're going to make a wrong movement.

Lastly, during your super phantom drill you're rotating into the hill at the end of the turn (this is why you lose balance). Keep your inside hand, arm, shoulder, hip, high and forward (hold your CA) and you will have more success.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Movement Analysis and Video