MA request for zd

Re: MA request for zd

Postby oggy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

zd500 wrote:Just want to clarify - are you saying my weight should not be largely on the inside foot when I start a TFR or are you saying TFR is hard for most people so I should work on OFR before attempting TFR?

Both to some extent (to be explained), though the second one is just my personal experience and might not be PMTS stamped and approved. As for starting a TFR, ideally you start it with a 50-50 weight distribution, but by the time you hit the fall line you need to transfer the weight to the outside ski completely. Sensing where your balance is and how it changes can be challenging; OFR removes the transfer from the equation completely (you're always fully standing on the outside ski) and gives you visible cues to your balance (both left-right and fore-aft). OFR can also give you feedback on your tipping movement: a lot of people tend to push the inside ski tip outside when trying to tip their feet, creating a reverse wedge. I find that keeping the ski tip on the snow helps to get a cleaner tipping motion.
oggy

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:34 pm

Master the OFR first.
Max_501

Postby zd500 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:08 pm

geoffda wrote:
zd, your analysis is accurate. You currently change edges by rolling the new stance foot to big toe edge first so you can push off to get onto your new edges. So instead of a release, you have a stem (albeit well disguised). If you want to make progress with your skiing, your first priority should be to develop a release (which is accomplished with flexion and tipping). As long as you are extending at transition, you will be unable to tip. Because you extend to change edges, you end up flexing late in the turn. Because flexion is a releasing movement, it causes you to lose edge grip, which is why your tails slide out at the bottom of the turn. That also creates a vicious cycle where, since you've lost all of your turn energy that would have helped you release, extension ends up being the most attractive way to get into the new turn. Additionally, flexion moves your balance back. If you were properly coordinating it with a release, this wouldn't be a problem, but because it is happening in the wrong place in the turn, it results in your fore-aft balance being disrupted. If you were releasing properly I doubt that you would have an issue with being aft.

I have been working on release and flexion this season, and focused on tipping to release/initiate a new turn and getting rid of the stem. Here are my two recent ski videos. Is there any improvement? In particular, is there still an extension/stem? I am not able to see it in my video with my untrained eyes. Really appreciate your help/comments/feedback.

zd500

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:12 pm

there has definitely been some good improvements made to your skiing. for me, you are still not committing enough to the stance ski throughout the entirety of the turn - particularly with your right leg. just after the 'high c' you are standing back onto the free ski...
once you start balancing on your stance leg from the transfer, you will find it easier to tip (and keep on tipping). easier to get grip, easier to control speed, easier to make tighter turn etc etc etc...
you can't balance without counter-balance..exaggerate the counter-balance and ONLY stand/ ride/ balance on the stance foot - the free foot should be light (ideally off the snow) and tipping (inside edge of the free ski pressed up hard against the stance boot inside rivet). This needs to be done thought out the whole turn - right from the transfer to the LTE of the new stance ski until the transfer to the other ski...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby zd500 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:15 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:there has definitely been some good improvements made to your skiing. for me, you are still not committing enough to the stance ski throughout the entirety of the turn - particularly with your right leg. just after the 'high c' you are standing back onto the free ski...
once you start balancing on your stance leg from the transfer, you will find it easier to tip (and keep on tipping). easier to get grip, easier to control speed, easier to make tighter turn etc etc etc...
you can't balance without counter-balance..exaggerate the counter-balance and ONLY stand/ ride/ balance on the stance foot - the free foot should be light (ideally off the snow) and tipping (inside edge of the free ski pressed up hard against the stance boot inside rivet). This needs to be done thought out the whole turn - right from the transfer to the LTE of the new stance ski until the transfer to the other ski...

Thanks GLOGH. I was going to work on one footed balance for the rest of the season - phantom with boot touch and weighted release. I think it will definitely address the problem that you pointed out.
zd500

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:10 am

What's the status of your footbed and alignment work?
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:29 pm

What is missing here is the counter that locks in the hip into CA, before any tipping begins. Your hip is not locked into counter acting, so when you try to tip you are actually leaning and rotating. Basically, you are steering your skis. There is hardly any tipping of the lower body noticeable in your skiing. So the SIMM is hip counter and lower body tipping over an engaged hip. The new exercise I developed for Todd would really help.

Just as flexing without tipping doesn't produce engagement, tipping without flexing will never happen. This is why with PSIA and other instruction, that isn't current with PMTS training will always be weak feedback. This season alone PMTS instruction has progressed. Our coaches get new season training every year. Those coaches that do not participate, are already behind what we are doing now..

That said, PMTS trained coaches will always be far better than traditional instruction.
h.harb

Postby zd500 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:31 pm

h.harb wrote:What is missing here is the counter that locks in the hip into CA, before any tipping begins. Your hip is not locked into counter acting, so when you try to tip you are actually leaning and rotating. Basically, you are steering your skis. There is hardly any tipping of the lower body noticeable in your skiing. So the SIMM is hip counter and lower body tipping over an engaged hip. The new exercise I developed for Todd would really help.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Harald. Looking forward to the new exercise eVideo but I will be working on my CA and tipping before it is available.
zd500

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video