Progress... one tip at a time!

Progress... one tip at a time!

Postby arothafel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Lucky for me the Mammoth Photographer just happened to catch me at a good "tipping" moment. I still struggle with square #1 of PMTS... Tipping!

Diana pointed out to me that my left foot gets lazy and rarely tips enough. (sound familiar?) She's right. In the past, I've gone ass-over-tea-kettle attempting some locked carves when the BTE tipped alot and the LTE did not. The result is crossed tips at high speed! It's ugly!

Max 501, Geoffda, Miles, Polecat, Todd... I can already hear you advising to tip more.. plus more CA / CB more, more, more... But, this is progress for me.

arothafel

Re: Progress... one tip at a time!

Postby cheesehead » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:16 am

Very nice tipping, I think. I have a question, really not a criticism, it just so happens that I noticed it on this picture.

First, are the hands too far apart? It seems like they are farther apart than they would be if you were holding the "PMTS stick" between them.

If so, then which hand is it that is too far apart? Is the inside hand too far to the inside, or is the outside hand too far to the outside??

I am not saying this is some major deal in your skiing, it is just something I wanted to understand about pole use.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby polecat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:46 am

arothafel wrote:.... Max 501, Geoffda, Miles, Polecat, Todd... I can already hear you advising to tip more.. plus more CA / CB more, more, more....

Looks great!

Now try doing it while we're around! :-P
polecat

Postby arothafel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:04 am

Cheesehead:... You are absolutely right about my arms. That's another can worms I struggle with. From my old racing days I used to swing my arms around for gate-blocking.... to the degree to where it literally rotated my whole upper body. There's a video posted somewhere on this forum of me doing gates in 2007 at Hood. It shows how bad it was.. among other things.

So, as you can imagine, HH and crew have been working with me on arms/poles. Starting with pole dragging. It's one of many constant challenges for me.

Polecat: As soon as you'll come with me..! Plus, our Mammoth "Harbie Tribe" is growing. I think we have 6 members now.
arothafel

Postby polecat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:26 pm

arothafel wrote:....Polecat: As soon as you'll come with me..! ..

Zing! I deserved that. :lol:

We'll get together this week and I'll fill you in on my scheduling situation.

cheesehead wrote:... are the hands too far apart? It seems like they are farther apart than they would be if you were holding the "PMTS stick" between them. ....

I don't think they're too wide. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.) I believe the "stick" is mostly about coordinating the arms, hips, shoulders, etc, less so the width.

polecat

Postby milesb » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:31 pm

It makes me happy.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby geoffda » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:16 pm

That is some nice progress Art! Nothing wrong with that picture at all. :D
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:36 pm

cheesehead wrote:First, are the hands too far apart?

No.
Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video