video of me skiing

Re: video of me skiing

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 am

You need external cues, either seeing your ski edges tip up off the snow, or somebody confirming it's happening

Is it possible to get a (very rough) idea of what might constitute enough tipping, in terms of ski angle to the snow? For example, when I'm trying to make tight turns on a blue slope, should I be seeing angles of 45 degrees, or something like that? I know there are so many variables at play, to do with speed, intended turn shape, skis in use, steepness, etc., but I'm just interested to know if there is anything I can observe myself while skiing, in the absence of a PMTS-aware observer.
JohnMoore

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:42 am

JohnMoore wrote:
You need external cues, either seeing your ski edges tip up off the snow, or somebody confirming it's happening

Is it possible to get a (very rough) idea of what might constitute enough tipping, in terms of ski angle to the snow?

Enough tipping = more needed.
Max_501

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 am

Max_501 wrote:Enough tipping = more needed.

So, beyond 90 degrees, then? :) Clearly if it's enough, then more is not needed. I know what you're getting at, though - that you pretty well never tip as much as you think you're tipping. But I'm just trying to get some kind of objective verification of what's going on, other than one's own, necessarily faulty, perception. I don't imagine for a moment that I, personally, get anyway near enough tipping, though.
JohnMoore

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:31 am

JohnMoore wrote:
Max_501 wrote:Enough tipping = more needed.

But I'm just trying to get some kind of objective verification of what's going on, other than one's own, necessarily faulty, perception.

Got video?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby JohnMoore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:07 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Got video?

Has there been some change in PMTS over the years, such that it is now regarded as impossible to learn without the use of video (or a PMTS tutor)? Page 5 of 'Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 2' talks about the importance of external cues, and this was always very attractive to me as an idea, that there were things I could observe in my own skiing using external cues, which would tell me whether or not I was doing the particular exercise correctly. Of late, though, it seems to me that such ideas are treated with scorn on this forum, and that the new mantra is 'Got video?' - meaning that any observations one might make of one's own skiing are inherently worthless.

So, is what Harald said back then about external cues no longer valid? Or have I just been misunderstanding it all this time?
JohnMoore

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm

John, I don't think scorn is the right word. Frustration would be better. Those of us that have been working on our PMTS skiing for many years know what goes into the process of truly learning and owning PMTS movements. For many (myself included) there was virtually no shot that we could advance without addressing our alignment and having that done by a trained HSS tech. For me there was only so much I was going to get from the books and videos. I often thought I was doing things correctly but I wasn't. I went to camps and took privates from Harald and Diana. Even now after many years I still sometimes can't tell myself and I need to video to confirm if a movement I am trying to gain or lose in my skiing is actually happening. No one transcends this. (a month ago I was very clear that I had accomplished something until I saw the video and I was disgusted!)

So back to you. Get your alignment done. Have some video shot of yourself. Show some real commitment and I'm sure you will notice less frustration and a lot more constructive help.

When I send Harald an email describing in my words what is happening in my skiing he almost always says, sounds right but send me some footage. Without it, even the best (Harald) are guessing. If you truly want to progress, again, get your alignment done and then have some video shot of your skiing. Otherwise you are actually wasting the time those that post here that try to help. In today's world it is so easy to get video shot and to post it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:37 pm

"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

position of the pelvis during transition

Postby fsdasd@gmail.com » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:27 pm

What do PMTS skiers think about the following? I now try to keep my pelvis (anterior superior iliac spine) rotated forward just prior to the turn. So for a left turn I keep left iliac crest forward (rotated clockwise looking from above) just before entering the turn and for a right turn I keep my right anterior iliac crest forward (rotated counterclockwise) before entering the turn. This may be similar in anatomical result to the Phantom move - tipping the uphill ski to the little toe edge with tipping to the front of the ski. Possibly working on pelvis rotation in addition to tipping may help skiers visualize what they should be doing to improve their ski technique.
fsdasd@gmail.com

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:33 am

Can you post video?
noobSkier

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video