Korean - Chang Keun KIM

Korean - Chang Keun KIM

Postby arothafel » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 am

Just thought I'd throw this up for some thoughts. I notice his no swing pole plant.

arothafel

Re: Korean - Chang Keun KIM

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm

This is good skiing. He seems to square up too early intermittently. There is also a tiny push off at the bottom of the turn that you see from time to time. The combination of the two dump him onto the inside ski at release. This is why you see him not holding the inside leg back well. It puts him out of balance slightly. I suspect it is a result of him trying to force ski performance in order to make the turns faster edge to edge. If he flexed more, tipped more aggressively, and held his CA longer without pushing off he would accomplish the goal of getting quicker turns through ski performance. That's nit picking really... solid skiing either way. Good find.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 pm

In bumps.

Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:21 pm

Is it just me or does the flex/extend timing not look natural for him? Like he may be working on eliminating an up move, but hasn't entirely done it yet?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 am

I found some more videos from the same series. I'm sure these are specific demonstrations.

Max_501

Postby deicreo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 am

In comparison to Chang Keun, this guy seems to have the complete game in place. To me, this is one of the best affirmation of PMTS style available on web.

deicreo

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 am

More video of Chang Keun KIM

If I'm not mistaken, in the next video he is working on the type of short turn he uses in the bumps footage that follows.

Max_501

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:57 am

It looks like they have changed their technique from a couple of seasons ago. Notice the title - Natural Ski Technique. Personally, i think it is a retrograde step - a lot of inclination of the body into the turn and finishing square over the ski...It looks laboured and uncomfortable - hardly natural. I seem to recall the Japanese exploring a method of skiing following a model of 2 plastic cups stuck together with a marble inside....Compare to this - same skier (yellow Helmet)

He has been a topic of discussion on this forum before with this:

As for Chang Keun Kim - amazing stuff. Here he is demonstrating the dreaded wedge progression:

However it looks like he is applying CB and CA almost from the start....
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:56 pm

So why do you think we don't see the Koreans in World Cup SL/GS (at least none that I can think of)?
HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Great question...not sure that I can answer that one with any authority...however, in the world if free skiing, they are up their with the best... Hisaya Sato, Richard Berger etc...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:56 am

Do the Japanese and Koreans have a race program? I do know that they have technical free skiing competitions. So maybe this I where their focus is...?
go_large_or_go_home

Postby jclayton » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Hisaya Sato is Japanese , ( Berger austrian ) they have had some solid skiers on the world cup . Yuasa has just podiumed and if you look at the you tube videos has put in some excellent runs in the past years .
There are numerous other videos of Koreans that are more PMTS , but this guy has some pretty amazing moves in a couple of the above videos , dolphin turns , short turns , mixing it up .

I remember once in Mt Hood Diana commenting on a young guy ( on the development team I think ) running gates with us , no where near as technical as her but quicker .
I have seen much more stylish Koreans than Massimiliano Blardone for example but he would probably murder them in the GS gates . He is pretty gutsy .

It is a bit of a mystery to me but having a long tradition in racing seems to be an element in success .

I don't think Korea has much of a ski infrastructure , or mountains , I think it is very much a trendy fashion occupation . ( Judging by the clothes they wear ! )
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby marsound » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't think Korea has much of a ski infrastructure

That may change: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics
marsound

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Have a look at this clip. It is Chang Keun Kim demonstrating his mogul skiing progression. First step is very un- PMTS at foot level, but the CA sound. The 2nd & 3rd steps look - in broad concept, a bit closer to PMTS. Despite being in Korean, I think you can get the basic idea about what he is demonstrating....if nothing else, it's interesting to see him breakdown his technique.

go_large_or_go_home

Postby Smackboy1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm

The $64 question is: can these instructions and drills lead students to ski like Chang Keun KIM? I'm not completely convinced.

But he certainly has a closet full of snazzy ski clothing! I can see HighAngles turning the same shade as his jacket in envy :D
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video