I have a question about the MA Forum?

I have a question about the MA Forum?

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:44 pm

If you read and study PMTS books and videos and then pay attention to this whole Forum, is having someone else do your MA for you, even necessary? Every mistake in movement I see on the MA forum, is explained and demonstrated every where on the forum countless times. I understand that seeing errors in movement of a seasoned PMTS skier, might be a challenge, but from those that are not using TTS movements it's a giveaway.

All you have to see is a straightening or stiffening leg. An upper body lean or inclination, the lower shoulder at the end of an arc, ahead of the outside ski boot, and the big toe edge on edge at the same time as the other ski is flat. That just about covers it.

Don't tell anyone in TTS, oh yes, it's OK, they won't get it anyway.
h.harb

Re: I have a question about the MA Forum?

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:46 pm

h.harb wrote:If you read and study PMTS books and videos and then pay attention to this whole Forum, is having someone else do your MA for you, even necessary?

I think it is very useful for identifying the SMIM. But everything else becomes noise because it doesn't matter until the SMIM is addressed.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:50 pm

It is as I stated, it is more difficult to determine the SMIM of a seasoned PMTS skier. However if you see a TTS skiers, all you have to do is the opposite of all the movements seen, for every Essential..
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:40 pm

For most of the forum members, we're all still learning and we're at various levels of understanding in our PMTS journey. I like having the MA help verify my own understanding of the movements and it develops our ability to perform MA on ourselves. I know that determining the SMIM is still something that sometimes confuses me when I see some of the responses.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 am

I think it is great to have the MA forum for practicing PMTS skiers - especially those who are over here on the right coast where PMTS is not as easily accessible. I do a lot of self MA (okay, more than a lot), and I still send video of my skiing to those who I trust to get a second opinion on where I should be focusing. I only do this one to three times a year, because those people are very busy and I respect their time and knowledge. The rest of the time I spend in front of a video camera self-coaching based on what I know about PMTS. When I have questions about my understanding; I ask directly to those who have expereince.

For those who are not practicing PMTS, it is frustrating to give them a detailed PMTS MA and have them basically ignore, or not understand what was written. This is why I rarely respond to those individuals. I feel that they should do a little work on their own before asking for a free re-build of everything they are doing in their skiing.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:24 am

For those who are not practicing PMTS, it is frustrating to give them a detailed PMTS MA and have them basically ignore, or not understand what was written. This is why I rarely respond to those individuals. I feel that they should do a little work on their own before asking for a free re-build of everything they are doing in their skiing.

I feel the same way about giving out racing information and analysis to USSA and Ski Team coaches. Also to parents who come to me with a 17 or 18 year old racer, and want them to be fixed. This is a full time job because their skiing needs a total re-build and it takes a season.
h.harb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:34 am

h.harb wrote:
Also to parents who come to me with a 17 or 18 year old racer, and want them to be fixed. This is a full time job because their skiing needs a total re-build and it takes a season.

At the very minimum!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jclayton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Harald wrote

" I feel the same way about giving out racing information and analysis to USSA and Ski Team coaches. Also to parents who come to me with a 17 or 18 year old racer, and want them to be fixed. This is a full time job because their skiing needs a total re-build and it takes a season "

For that reason it must be most gratifying seeing those youngsters you have trained from early years !

All those USSA and race coaches only have to follow Max's mantra , ECBAES nÂș 1 etc etc . He he , ah , pride ( ego ) is a terrible thing .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Kiwi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:46 am

MA helps me improve my ability to critique my own skiing as it sharpens my analysis of my movements. Being "down under" in NZ it is not as easy to get to Colarodo or Europe as often as I would like therefore self, wife or friend critiquing is important. I regularly discuss with my PMTS friends the MAs of various skiers, and the comments on the forum, in some detail and of course we relate it to ourselves.

MA is a form of vicarious coaching, as it trains the student, so that along with books, video and uTube it makes real and regular skiing progress achievable.

I can now adjust my skiing "essentials" quite quickly to make improvements and as I have become a better skier the SMIM changes are quicker and more a case of degree.

While MA helps the recipient I see it as a master class for those who study the comments and refer back to the video posted. Same can be said about the HH blog which is without peer, thanks Harald.
Kiwi

Return to Movement Analysis and Video