MA request from İstanbul

MA request from İstanbul

Postby Istanbulskier » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I am a 15-20 days skier a year, I skied about 25 years with traditional way and last 2-3 years trying to learn pmts after reading Harold's books. What do you think about my video.

- I know poles are not working cause I was trying to concentrate on my skis
- I can see my inside foot problem. it is not tipped equally to outside ski?????. (how can I make it better, which drills shall ı work?
- I thinkI am extending my outside leg heavily not naturally as mentioned in the books.?????
- I may be little late for releasing ???? I want to work for tighter turns.

Istanbulskier

Re: MA request from İstanbul

Postby HighAngles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Although the video shot from the rear isn't ideal, I'll take a shot at the MA.

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier? Yes
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? No
Is there a transfer to the LTE? No
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? No
Is there a point in the transition where both legs are flexed equally? No
Are the feet pulled back at transition? Hard to see, but I'm thinking No
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? No
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? CA is better than the CB, but both need a lot more emphasis
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Inside hip higher? No
Strong inside arm, pole tip moving forward? Yes (this isn't too bad)
Is the inside leg flexing and tipping as the turn progresses? No
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? No
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn? Does not increase
Does the weight shift go to the LTE during transition? Hard to tell, but it might be happening
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski? No, insufficient CB
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? No touch, poles are kind of flailing a bit
Is the pole touch a no swing? n/a
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs to be tipped in or out? It might just be the camera angle, but it looks like the right leg may need to go out a bit (maybe get some cant strips, experiment, and get some new video.
HighAngles

Postby milesb » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Nice accurate MA HA.

I see an attempt at lift and tip, but it happens only momentarily. In addition, the lifting comes from an extension of the stance leg, instead of flexing the free leg.
Although lift and tip will improve your skiing, it has to be done correctly and continuously.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby jclayton » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Istanbul skier . You are travelling very fast , difficult to change old habits and drill new ones at that speed , it is hard to have much body awareness . Turns are not completed , extensions etc as pointed out by the others .
As Max 501 repeatedly says , start at book one and do each excercise one by one , slowly .

Is that a Turkish resort ?
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Istanbulskier » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:42 am

Jclayton, yes that is a resort 150 miles away from İstanbul.
Istanbulskier

Postby sgarrozzo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:09 am

HI HightAngles, nice MA.
but I want ask you something about this question:

I extracted these frames and it seems to me that hire the legs are equally flexed at transition:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/186331774/ist2

http://www.scribd.com/doc/186331529/Ist

Can you better explain to me your statement?
sgarrozzo

Postby HighAngles » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:51 pm

sgarrozzo wrote:HI HightAngles, nice MA.
but I want ask you something about this question:

I extracted these frames and it seems to me that hire the legs are equally flexed at transition:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/186331774/ist2

http://www.scribd.com/doc/186331529/Ist

Can you better explain to me your statement?

Yep, those still shots certainly support a reversal of opinion for that portion of the MA.
HighAngles

Postby sgarrozzo » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 am

Hi highAngles
thanks for your clarification. :D
sgarrozzo

Postby Istanbulskier » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:37 am

Many thanks for comments so far. That video was shot last year first ski days and it was my first video ever to see myself skiing. As a good reader of Harold's books I could also see my skiing differs in many means from what has been said in the books. However I have also seen many mistakes and tried to correct them during my next trips and I guess I made some progress. Foolowing is highangles MA with my comments written in red. Looking forward to to see further comments. ( I will also load another video from same day taken from front)

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier? Yes
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?No I definately start release by flexing outside leg but at the same time I extend my new stand leg little. I guess It is an old habit from old up and down technique and it has to be corrected.
Is there a transfer to the LTE? No Yes there is transfer but thats my biggest problem you will also see my front video. I find difficult to find my balance on LTE therefore hesitating to do so. I transfer balance to LTE but when I transfer balance my inside leg angle is much less than outside leg
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? NoYes my LTE tipping leads engagement but again there is week tipping
Is there a point in the transition where both legs are flexed equally? Noyes
Are the feet pulled back at transition? Hard to see, but I'm thinking Nono
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? NoI try for that angain weakly
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? CA is better than the CB, but both need a lot more emphasis I was very suprised to see my CA and CB is weak when I see the videos cause I was thinking I was even over doing them. Hopefully I can corrected them the next day
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Inside hip highera? Nono
Strong inside arm, pole tip moving forward? Yes (this isn't too bad)
Is the inside leg flexing and tipping as the turn progresses? Nono. I guess thats a big problem and I can only take my skiing next level by mannaging same
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? Noit seems an unnatural extend to me too and I think it is because of above problem buy not doing inside leg flexing and tipping as the turn progress
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn? Does not increasedoes not increase
Does the weight shift go to the LTE during transition? Hard to tell, but it might be happening thats the point I still figure out in pmts. when to start putting weight to LTE. I start putting some weight to LTE when I start release by flexing old stand leg and this is before transition. (or try doing) is that a mistake?
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski? No, insufficient CBI balance on outside ski but with in suffficent CB forsure
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? No touch, poles are kind of flailing a bit
Is the pole touch a no swing? n/a
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs to be tipped in or out? It might just be the camera angle, but it looks like the right leg may need to go out a bit (maybe get some cant strips, experiment, and get some new video.[/quote]unfortunately there is no boot or ski fitters where I live but I recon I have pretty normal legs. I hope :)
Istanbulskier

Postby Istanbulskier » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:58 am

Istanbulskier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:32 am

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x zoom which will help with image stability.
Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video