Two Footed Release MA please

Re: Two Footed Release MA please

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 am

Okay chaps, I have been working on all of your tips and advice and after what seems like about 3000 two footed releases, I have another MA request...
I have been tweaking with my alignment and fore/aft. Apologies for the video - I had plans to get footage from all angles and stitch it all together.....but my camera died....

Not sure why the quality is so poor with the embedded video above....try this:
http://youtu.be/GiTSbQQWuQ0

Still very much a work in progress - this was the first time that I have managed to link the TFR with any degree of flow...Your thoughts are much appreciated.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HighAngles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm

I've never had to be concerned about raking the leaves before I ski. Are the leaves more slippery than the carpet? Are they kind of like ice patches? :mrgreen: :wink:
HighAngles

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Can you see the extension at 0:49 ? You ended up on the inside ski.
CO_Steve

Postby HighAngles » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Can you see the extension at 0:49 ? You ended up on the inside ski.

Yep, started at about 0:47 and was coupled with the hips being too far back both of which led to losing the new stance ski. It didn't engage at all.

Been there, done that. :wink: :D
HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Yup, spotted that cheeky little extension.. Dammit... Not sure where that came from...as for my last turn, this sometimes happens on this surface - you get an edge lock...I very quickly became aware that I was running out of slope, so I stepped back onto my inside ski.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Finally got round to videoing some more parallel leaf clearing drills today. Hopefully the footage is MA'able..So far i have spotted a couple of extensions to release at 0.29 & 0.31….
make sure you select 720p in the bottom right of the window..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_9YKdTxcU

I have been working on 'side crunching' during CB. Some of my turns from the rear, you can see my outside hip raise during the transfer as i 'side-crunch' my obliques…The problem is, isn't it is supposed to be the inside hip that you work on raising?…
This 'crunching' seems to be blocking my ability to raise my inside hip during CB and ultimately my overall CB…Not sure about this one…I can raise the inside hip 'up' on the slant board, but i can't 'crunch' at the same time….the only way that i seemed to be able to achieve inside Hip raise AND CB was by 'side-bending' at the waist as opposed to 'side crunching' at the waist…thoughts most welcome…
go_large_or_go_home

Postby geoffda » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:43 pm

Good self MA, GLOGH. Keep working on flexing to release. There is still some extension, but you are heading in the right direction. Again, some of it may be a function of the surface--it will be interesting to see what happens when you get on snow. Be careful that you don't incorporate extension of the old free leg into the motion of lifting and tipping the old stance foot. We call that the false Phantom. If you can make it work on the surface, try some gentle traverses where you balance on LTE of the uphill ski while you lift the downhill ski up and then tap it back down repeatedly. Focus on just lifting the downhill ski by flexing the downhill leg. The uphill leg that you are balancing on should not be involved.

Nice footwork--you are clearly tipping the old stance foot to LTE and you can see a nice O-Frame when you do that. I'm also really impressed with your counteracting. Watching you ski from behind, I can always see both arms, which is a sign of good CA.

Based on what I'm seeing in these turns, I'd spend some time focusing on fore-aft. You are often back seated as you begin to lift your inside ski. You can see that by the fact that the tip of the ski raises as you lift. If you are properly balanced, you should be able to lift just the tail of the ski while the tip stays on the snow (or artificial surface as the case may be). Some things to think about in that vein:

1) Be careful that you when you flex, you are flexing down, not back.
2) You are doing a nice job with keeping the free foot back, but you may need to be more forceful in the movement. A strong pullback will help you get forward.
3) You may need to incorporate a two-footed pullback with your flexion--or at least focus on holding your feet back. Try doing some boot touch drills where you focus on fore-aft to decide what needs to happen there.
4) The "Way Forward" drills in Essentials are excellent for establishing fore-aft awareness. Learn to recognize when you are back so you can do what you have to do to get forward.

As far as CB goes, try lifting the inside hip first, then once you run out of range of motion keep going by crunching. CB can be a hard thing to develop on the slope. Do some dry land (as opposed to dry slope ;-) ) where you stand in front of a mirror and practice the movement. Have a look at this article (if you haven't already). It should help: http://www.harbskisystems.com/index.php ... Itemid=311.
geoffda

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video