Reilly MA

Reilly MA

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:06 am

Okay, in my pursuit to perfect my MA. Please can you take a look at this clip from the 'much loved' Reilly McGlashan....

I have paused, rewinded, Asked Max's questions and I can't find too much at fault....any help/ enlightenment much appreciated...

go_large_or_go_home

Re: Reilly MA

Postby geoffda » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:32 am

I think this is great skiing. It looks to me like he is going edge-to-edge with no direction change, leading with LTE. Flex to release and then continuous flexion of the stance leg & continuous tipping throughout the arc. Good, strong two-footed pullback movements are present in transition. Also he keeps the stance foot tucked in and lifts the tail as needed to make fore-aft adjustments. There might be a few turns where he is a little late with the pullback or not quite forceful enough, but in general he is getting it done. Counterbalance is very strong. Counter-acting is sufficient--though it could be stronger. Hopefully Harald will jump in if I'm missing something--in which case this will be a really great MA coaching opportunity--but to me this looks like very strong skiing.
Last edited by geoffda on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffda

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks Geoff. He was panned on another thread, but it looks like he has absorbed the comments by osmosis......
Have a look at his bump skiing....amazing stuff....

Anyway, my main objective was to try an MA someone who is 'perceived' to be an expert free skier.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Here's another recent Reilly video in the bumps that shows a rounder compliment to the wc competition technique posted above.

He looks pretty similar to the Paul Lorenz video posted earlier elsewhere on these forums, and for good reasons, I think. I have the same reaction to Reilly's videos as I do to berger and lorenz: He's a great skier, and there is value in both average skiers like myself trying to understand and mimic what he does right and in hearing the critical insight of elite coaches like Harald towards very good free skiers like Reilly and Berger to understand how far one can go in technique improvement.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby skifastDDS » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 pm

I agree with Geoff's post. It's beautiful, inspiring skiing.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Just thought that I would revisit Paul Lorentz..found this clip:

What I don't get is his 5 day transition...day 1 - classic TTS ....DAY 5 ripping up the mountain. Honestly, I cant believe that he skis the way he does by using the TTS techniques he teaches...all the buzz words are there...twisting etc...but I just don't see it.....

By day 3 - I can see good CA, CB and strong free foot pull back/ management. He is flexing to release and leading with the LTE. He has a light pole touch with his arms out like outriggers...not sure about late hits in the latter part of the turn as I can see a high C & being upside down on the slope...

Again, any adjustments very welcome..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby geoffda » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:57 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Just thought that I would revisit Paul Lorentz..found this clip:

What I don't get is his 5 day transition...day 1 - classic TTS ....DAY 5 ripping up the mountain. Honestly, I cant believe that he skis the way he does by using the TTS techniques he teaches...all the buzz words are there...twisting etc...but I just don't see it.....

By day 3 - I can see good CA, CB and strong free foot pull back/ management. He is flexing to release and leading with the LTE. He has a light pole touch with his arms out like outriggers...not sure about late hits in the latter part of the turn as I can see a high C & being upside down on the slope...

Again, any adjustments very welcome..

I don't think this skiing is nearly as strong as Reilly's. I think there is some steering going on--it looks to me like there is some knee drive happening. His fore-aft management isn't as strong; he doesn't get both feet pulled back to get his feet behind his hips to the degree that Reilly is able. I don't see him getting the same level of tip engagement.

To me this is high level TTS skiing and it is very much based on twisting the feet. I agree that there is a disconnect. I think the idea of "blending" rotary, edging, and pressure is an unteachable concept. If Paul is supposed to be the model, I don't see any way to get there. You are absolutely right in wondering how to get from twisting the feet to what Paul is doing. The sad thing is that I don't think anyone actually knows. Moreover, when those concepts are employed by the less genetically gifted, the results are awful. Lower level skiers trying to employ twisting of the feet look like crap, have no control and are stuck. Forgetting about whether this skiing is technically ideal, it is simply unattainable to the average person, so why bother?
geoffda

Postby ToddW » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Okay, in my pursuit to perfect my MA. Please can you take a look at this clip from the 'much loved' Reilly McGlashan....

I have paused, rewinded, Asked Max's questions and I can't find too much at fault....any help/ enlightenment much appreciated...

Unlike Geoff D., I am not a PMTS instructor. So feel free to tell me I'm full of it ... just tell me why so that I can learn. To state the obvious, I don't ski anywhere remotely near as well as Reilly McGlashan. Heck my skiing doesn't even approach Geoff's :)

I think you're asking the wrong question when you ask what's "at fault." The question of MA is always how could this skier get better. Since he doesn't have a shelf full of WC crystal globes, odds are that he has room for improvement.

Look at him, his boots, and his skis at transition in the first video. Then look at Hirscher or Harald when they're trying to crank short turns. The latter skiers are clearly creating new edge angles "under the hips." Reilly is later on his new edges, not quite "under the hips." As one PMTS coach is known to say "tip and tip and tip some more, tip and tip and tippy tip" and "double it :mrgreen: "

If you step Reilly's video frame by frame, you'll often see a tail skid before the fall line. One of the beautiful things about Harald's skiing is that he coordinates early tipping and CA so that this doesn't happen.

Reilly's turns to the left could use some CB, especially in the lower torso and pelvis (in many turns he's got that upper spine kink and upright head routine going.)

2-dimensional video can be misleading, but this doesn't look steep. If he tries to carry these same movements onto steep terrain, he may not look so sharp.

Going way out on a limb ... This may be an optical illusion due to the way his pants fit over his boot cuff. It looks as if he may either have more curvature of his tibia than usual (tibial varum) or else footbeds that are doing him no favors by limiting his ability to evert his stance foot ankle. Maybe there are boot tweaks that could boost his skiing.

Now set me straight!
ToddW

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm

ToddW wrote: If he tries to carry these same movements onto steep terrain, he may not look so sharp.

Seriously?
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 pm

Max_501 wrote:
ToddW wrote: If he tries to carry these same movements onto steep terrain, he may not look so sharp.

Seriously?

Going to side with Max here. Reilly rips. Sure he has things to work on, even he would admit it... we all do... that is what makes us better. The guy is an incredible skier and gets better and better every season. FWIW, I've seen video of him in the steep off-piste terrain at Aspen and he's just as clean and precise. While he may not be PMTS trained, much of what he does on skis reconciles with PMTS, and I can assure you he is very familiar with the material HH has published. He's the real deal.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:29 am

ToddW wrote:I think you're asking the wrong question when you ask what's "at fault." The question of MA is always how could this skier get better.

I take your point, but I am trying to fault diagnose. To find fault is merely to criticise, but to fault diagnose is an entirely different matter. It's an artform in itself that separates the good and bad instructor. From my flying instructor days, we used the mnemonic "RCP"...Recognise, Cause, Prevention.

At the moment, I am trying to 'Recognise' that there may be a problem. I have trawled through the 'back catalog' of MA requests on this forum trying to educate myself in this area..

Accurately nailing the 'Cause' is where having an intimate knowledge and experience of the system comes in - i think that this what separates PMTS from TTS coaches...All your comments are invaluable on this area.

As for the 'Prevention' - that's 'relatively' easy by comparison.

This is just another framework to help discover the SMIM...I am slowly getting my eye in, but I find MA on the 'good' skiers tricky as their movements can be masked by individual style...I am fully aware that this is a skill that takes years to master, especially being an enthusiast/practitioner as opposed to a professional in this sport.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:55 am

Attempting to MA skiers of this level is a waste of time unless you already have extensive PMTS training.
Max_501

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Max_501 wrote:Attempting to MA skiers of this level is a waste of time unless you already have extensive PMTS training.

I would agree to a certain degree, but this is all part of the education.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:46 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:
Max_501 wrote:Attempting to MA skiers of this level is a waste of time unless you already have extensive PMTS training.

I would agree to a certain degree, but this is all part of the education.

The best thing you can do for your education is get a video camera and film your skiing, over and over. Talking about it on the internet doesn't take you anywhere compared to DOING it and SEEING the results.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Movement Analysis and Video