Just an early season rip from last year.

Just an early season rip from last year.

Postby gforce » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi: First time posting here. Just found this site today and there are some good vids and 'MA' comments... I have to do some translation/ learn some PMTS terms. ( I was reading good 'ol BarkingBeer and didn't know what BTE stood for so I googled PMTS to find out what the letters stood for... En'Voila !)
This is vid is very early season - I think day two of last year and it was good enough snow to go for rip on my new Dyna-Course Ti's. Just an early season rip hoping to get tuned up for the big stuff. Hah! I stacked it hard a week later and couldn't cross my legs for a couple weeks... But I digress: I got more angulation and earlier hook-up as the season progressed. I hit 150 days again and know I would ski better if I could actually stretch more to keep the quads from taking over... I look stiff and, damn it; I will stretch more in the hunt for more upper/lower separation - and damn it - I will stretch. ciao Paul Whistler ,eh
gforce

Re: Just an early season rip from last year.

Postby Max_501 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:48 am

Some questions you can run through for a self MA:

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
Are the feet pulled back at transition?
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
Strong inside arm?
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x zoom which will help with image stability. If you need to exceed 10X zoom consider using a monopod.
Max_501

Postby skifastDDS » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, gforce. Kudos to you for posting video as your first post.

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
No, there is a large extension to release.

Is there a transfer to the LTE?
No.

Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
No. Angles are achieved via hip dumping and inclination. A large amount of weight is placed on the free foot.

Is there a point in the transition where both legs are flexed equally?
No, this skiing displays very little flexion/extension range of motion.

Are the feet pulled back at transition?
No.

Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
No. The inside foot is weighted.

Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
No. CB is mostly absent, all turns are inclined with heavy weighting of the inside ski. There is some hip dumping into a bit of CA.

Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Inside hip higher?
No, the pelvis is inclined to inside of the turn. The outside hip is held back from rotating somewhat in the low-C.

Strong inside arm, pole tip moving forward?
No, the inside arm often falls behind.

Is the inside leg flexing and tipping as the turn progresses?
No, the inside leg is weighted and tipping stops almost immediately.

Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
Outside leg extends at release and hip dumps into the turn.

Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
No, tipping stops after the initial edge set. The turns are classic park and ride.

Does the weight shift go to the LTE during transition?
No.

Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
No, the inside ski is often weighted.

Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Yes, pole touch occurs at release, good timing. Movement should be farther forward and a greater lateral distance from the skis in a carved turn. No Swing Pole Plant drills would help.

Is the pole touch a no swing?
No, hands often drop down and back.

Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
Not that I can see, but I’m not qualified to answer this one.

Overall, I'd say your single most important movement [SMIM] is tipping. I know you are new to PMTS, but the first step on the path to improvement is the green level tipping exercises that facilitate stance ski balance. Once you make some progress in skiing with your feet, I would focus on CB to continue getting weight off that inside foot, with some work on flexing concurrent to that.

You mention flexibility as a limiting factor in your skiing. This is always a good thing to work on; I know I get extremely stiff in my lower back and hamstrings after a few days of skiing. I find that martial arts are a great way to work on this, especially if a large kicking component is included. Kicking-heavy martial arts will increase your flexibility and also get you used to balancing and moving dynamically on one foot, as well as greatly strengthening your foot stabilizer muscles that will help you with ski tipping and balance.

Best of luck and happy turns this season.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby Basil j » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:28 am

Speed course Ti is an incredible ski. versatile, with excellent edgegrip and turn shape versatility.I own it and it is hands down my favorite ski in my quiver. You are on a good board to learn PMTS. You ski alot,and rip around nicely, and if you engage fully into PMTS you will probably face the same challenges as every other good Traditional method skier here faces that embraces PMTS. Unlearning and committing to new movements while trying to erase older inefficient movements that may feel like they have "always worked" for you. I ski 40 -50 days a year and have been rated as a strong level 7-8 free skier, have been asked to come join the local ski school and teach, and over the summer I felt that the only way to learn PMTS, short of going to camps is start at the very begginning as suggested, which I fought a little bit a first,but I have now committed to learn how to ski all over from scratch. Spending time on the bunny hill slowly working single ski balance, the phantom move and inside free foot management. The good news is, once it starts clicking, you will immediatley sense how efficient the movements are. I am on my way up to ski the next 2 days and will be facing east coast boiler plate this weekend, since we just had a rain/thaw freeze cycle, and will be staying on the blues & greens once again pounding the reps until the new movements are ingrained. If you are interested in PMTS, listen to folks on this board. They don't sugar coat. They tell it like it is and know their stuff. I won't be video taping for another 2 weeks or so, but am eager to see what I am doing vs what I feel I am doing.
Good luck and have a great season!
Basil j

Return to Movement Analysis and Video