MA Request for skifreak

MA Request for skifreak

Postby skifreak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 am

Hi,
I've just uploaded a video of me, doing some turns.
Could some of you please watch it, and could tell me, what I'm doing wrong and what I could improve.
Thanks for the feedback!

skifreak

Re: MA Request for skifreak

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:27 am

Which of the PMTS Books/Videos have you worked through?
Max_501

Postby skifreak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:07 am

Hi Max,

thank you for your answer. I´ve worked through all the youtube-videos from Harald Harb. Unfortunately I have no PMTS-books.
skifreak

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 am

Max_501

Postby skifreak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks for the links. I should probably read it first, before an MA makes sense.
skifreak

Postby skifreak » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 am

Hi, I'll give my interpretation of the checklist points:

1. Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? [/i]
Yes, but not enough flexed
2. Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
Yes, but I don´t like the O-Frame between my knees. I think, I have also to tip more the new outside ski
3. Are the feet pulled back at transition?
Yes, but probably too less. I´ve read, pulling back the free foot enables the upper body to move forward and it bends the inside leg. Should be a step-position be avoided?
4. Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
Yes
5. Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
CB not enough, CA better (my hip is back)??
6. Strong inside arm?
I think, my inside arm and pole tip is moving forward
7. Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
Probably it isn’t. I´m standing in a downhill-open position
8. Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
Yes, a little bit.
9. Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
Yes
10. Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn?
Yes
11. Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Yes (no swing), before releasing
12. Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
I’m not sure: my alignment to the turn into the right side is not so good

Thanks for your interest to help me!
skifreak

Postby geoffda » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:43 pm

1. Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? [/i]
No. You don't have a release in these turns. Instead you are pushing off the free foot to start the new turn. You don't flex the old stance leg until after you have pushed off.
2. Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
In general no. You are tipping the ski nicely, but with the exception of the turn closest to the camera, you don't allow it to engage. Instead, rotate your hips and slide your tails, so most of your turns are skidded. There is nothing wrong with the O-Frame, but you do need to allow the stance foot to tip. If it doesn't follow on it's own (and if your alignment is strong, it may not), you might have to think about explicitly tipping it.
3. Are the feet pulled back at transition?
Yes.
4. Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
No, the free foot moves forward such that you are not well balanced.
5. Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
There is no CA at all (you are rotating). CB is weak, but it would be sufficient for the level of tipping you are showing (if you could get it to work).
6. Strong inside arm?
No, in general your upper body is rotating and your outside arm moves in the direction of the turn. This is especially true of your right arm.
7. Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
Yes. However, the hips are rotating instead of counteracting.
8. Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
Yes.
9. Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
No. You appear to be in a hurry to straighten this leg and stand on it. You are extending the leg during the tail slide and often this pushes your balance onto the inside ski (which is what is happening when you see your legs slide apart). Standing hard on the outside ski stops tipping, so you want to allow the extension to happen naturally as a result of your center of mass moving inward. Properly done, the stance leg will reach maximum extension at the fall line.
10. Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn?
No. If you are skidding your turns, tipping isn't working properly. Moreover, tipping needs to increase throughout the turn. If you artificially extend your stance leg and park on it, tipping will stop. If you stop flexing/relaxing your free leg, tipping will stop.
11. Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Yes, but the timing is wrong. The inside pole touches after the new turn has been established rather than triggering the release. Hands are relatively quiet. The rotation looks to be coming from the hips rather than from driving the outside hand.
12. Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
Hard to tell from the clip, but it is possible that your alignment is a little too strong (bowlegged). That said, I think your issues are primarily movement.

For you, you need to start by learning how to release the ski. Until you can do that, your tipping movements will never work properly to allow the skis to engage. Your single most important movement will be flexion. Once you learn how to release, you need to learn how to use your tipping movements to allow the skis to engage so that the skis will make the desired turn without you needing to "help" them out with rotation or twisting.

I'd suggest starting with the two-footed release exercises in either Book 1 or Book 2. Also, you need to slow down considerably so you can focus purely on the movements. The skiing in the video is much too fast to be useful for improving technique.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 pm

The TFR is one of the more advanced and difficult drills. Better to start with one footed work like the phantom and move up to the TFR after the one footed drills have been mastered.
Max_501

Postby skifreak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

Hi geoffda and Max_501,

thanks for the detailed comments on my video. You have made me aware of many things that I would not have noticed. I will now try to improve my skiing with these tips as much as possible.
skifreak

Return to Movement Analysis and Video