MonsterTrouble

Re: MonsterTrouble

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 pm

My observation is that knee stress from tipping wider skis can be a good biofeedback indicator of incorrect tipping movements. If I tip my skis through knee angulation (driving the knees toward the inside of the turn) then I have pain on wider skis. Instead we should be keeping the stance leg passive and tipping the inside free foot when it's light. This keeps the stance leg "stacked" and greatly reduces the stress on that knee.

I agree HA.

I'm thinking that the moment of greatest stress on the joint will be when I transfer to LTE with the knee fully flexed on piste. I am hoping that this will be a much lower momentary stress than what I am feeling on the incline board, ( ie ms rather than seconds) It won't be the free foot that is the issue, but the new stance foot, so tipping the wider ski, although technically more difficult shouldn't be an issue for my rehabilitating quads which are still a little weak (but improving by the day) extending from a fully flexed position.

Regarding advice on stopping in steep chop, it appears that no one knows or is willing to share. It's a shame really. As I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers that could learn from any advice given. Me? I'm just going to "go for it!" flex deeply and trust the moves.

We'll know soon how that works out.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:05 am

MonsterMan wrote:Thanks very much for the replies, recommendations and sometimes not so subtle jibes! I hope I've provided some entertainment for my friends here.

Let's examine my ski options for camp.

The big jams or the little Magnums.

I have confidence in the Jams off piste and ski a lot faster on them. I've always hated the Magnums off piste.

a) what technique can I use to safely stop on steep chop on little skis?
b) what skis should I take this year?

Dude,

Looks like this isn't really a dilemma...you use a word like hate for one pair and confidence for the other. You're going to ski some spring condition on a big, true- alpine, glacier. Jams are celebrated for being a very technically capable wider-if 85mm is wide anymore-ski. Take the skis you love not the ones you hate on a spring vacation.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby marsound » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Let's examine my ski options for camp.

The big jams or the little Magnums.

I have confidence in the Jams off piste and ski a lot faster on them. I've always hated the Magnums off piste.

a) what technique can I use to safely stop on steep chop on little skis?
b) what skis should I take this year?

re: item b - Why not take both pairs? Lots of airlines allow two pairs in a double bag, worse case pay the small fee for two bags. Nice to have options on a multi-day trip...
marsound

Postby h.harb » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:13 pm

Looks like this isn't really a dilemma...you use a word like hate for one pair and confidence for the other. You're going to ski some spring condition on a big, true- alpine, glacier. Jams are celebrated for being a very technically capable wider-if 85mm is wide anymore-ski. Take the skis you love not the ones you hate on a spring vacation.
Skiasaurus Rex

I take what I'm most confident on, my ski boots.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Last spring at Hintertux I skied a ski I absolutely hated, the Blossom. It was stiff, no sweat spot and too much rebound, an absolutely diabolical ski. I could never tell how it would throw me after I loaded it up, I could not find the sweat spot. I skied it with will power, determination, intensity, and the idea that I'd never been defeated by a ski before, but with no confidence. I had to constantly make adjustments and my legs were fried because they were working extra hard to stay in balance. I'll never so that again. Lots of Negranos and Zillerbrau helped me make it through the week.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Do you recall which Blossom model that was Harald?
HighAngles

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 pm

I took the Jams and now I own the chop from above the rocks on the skiers left of that run. Top to bottom on y own on Monday and looked back up satisfied. Next goal is to ski it a little faster, although I do love being able to ski a steep run at slow speed. I did play arround with terminal velocity in shallower crud and liked it. It seems to me that releasing closer to the fall line presents the skis to the lumps at a better angle to punch through. So next year another step closer perhaps.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby A.L.E » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Got video......

How's the knee?
A.L.E

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Yep got some video of the bottom of the run. Knee hurts on hard snow but fine in powder and soft snow.
MonsterMan

Postby federico » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm

by HighAngles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 am

Do you recall which Blossom model that was Harald?

Harald test model was the "Flere" in 174cm, was a Slalom carver (116,66,101 r=15).

Fortunately I also imported Negroni from Italy...

by MonsterMan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:05 am

Knee hurts on hard snow

Face hurts more... :mrgreen:

Ciao,
Fed
MAIORA VIRIBUS AUDERE
federico

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I'll mail you the boot shim MedFFed, and yes I will post the face plant video when I get it.
MonsterMan

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video