MA Request for Skizoo & My Self Analysis

MA Request for Skizoo & My Self Analysis

Postby Skizoo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

I finally got some video today. This is about a 30 second vid.

Me: Age 55, about 4-5 years obsessed with PMTS, No camps but 1 full day private with Rich Messer. Aligned and fitted by Chris at HSS, ski about 120-130 days per year, Skis in the vid are the Jam's

Goal, to make slow, controlled turns on a relatively flat green trail, using a super phantom

Using the guide Max suggested for self MA, here is my own analysis of what I see, and please correct me where I'm wrong and all feedback welcome.

My own analysis:

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
A: Yes I believe it is

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
A: Yes, I believe it does

Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
A: Yes but more so when turning to the right than when turning to the left. I feel that the timing of my attempted use of the super phantom is occurring just slightly 'late' on some turns. And when turning left, my use of the SP is relatively weak IMO

Are the feet pulled back at transition?
A: Yes I believe they are close to where they should be for generally flat terrain

Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
A: Probably could be better, but does the pitch of the slope impact how much foot pullback should be used?

Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
A: This is tough one, I say yes, With the generally flat pitch I felt like i was using close to the right amount of CA and CB

Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
A: I am not qualified to offer feedback on this, HELP!

Strong inside arm?
A: No, and hand while hand position is not awful it is inconsistent and can be improved.

Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
A: Yes I believe it is flexed appropriately for the pitch of the trail.

Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
A: I believe it does

Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
A: I feel that my tipping needs work. It is improving but I do think I tend to reach a point and 'lock' the tipping, perhaps not with each turn but it does occur

Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
A: Yes I feel I am

Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
A: The pole touching/plants can be improved. Not awful but room for improvement is present.
Skizoo

Re: MA Request for Skizoo & My Self Analysis

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:23 am

To me it looks like when you transfer the weight to the inside ski you extend that leg a bit. When you lift the outside leg you are already on the new edges.
You look a bit knock-kneed and since you are fitted by HSS there may be some need to tip the inside more?
At times you seem to be a bit aft.

Have you read Max501's directions on how to shoot video for MA?
Matt

Postby HighAngles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:57 am

Is the inside ski flexed as the turn progresses?

No, it is not. As Matt already noted, you are extending the inside leg at the turn transition. As you noted, your goal is to use the Super Phantom to make your turns. Concentrate on transferring your balance to the LTE of the inside leg without extending it. Lighten/lift the old stance leg and tip it like crazy (even on this fairly flat terrain). I'd like to see a new video where you actually achieve an "O frame" at transitions to really show that you have the correct movements in place.

A great drill for you would be the "static release to the new edges on a downhill" (start on relatively flat terrain and work up to increased steepness). Get the proper sequence down statically first before trying to make it work in an actual turn.
HighAngles

Postby milesb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 am

I see you keeping the flex of the uphill leg while you lift the downhill ski except for two turns. You are on the right track as far as that goes. However, your uphill ski goes flat before you tip your downhill ski to the little toe edge. This is because you aren't tipping the inside ski past the fall line. Keep tipping it even as you lift the downhill ski. This will give you the afore mentioned O-frame. The upper body movements are appropriate to these turns-up until the fall line- where you lose your CA and CB. It doesn't need to be a big movement for these turns, but you do need to keep it going throughout the turn. However, getting the tipping right is the first step. Inside leg flexing is difficult to see in this video, but I would guess that it doesn't happen because the the tipping stops. Foot pullback is not bad, but you will need to step it up as you skiing gets more dynamic.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby HighAngles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am

I see inside leg extension on every turn. There should be a flexing of the stance leg to match the flexing of the inside leg, but instead it looks like there's almost a push off from the inside leg into each new turn. I agree that maintaining the tipping angle along with the flexion of the inside leg is a good goal for Skizoo.
HighAngles

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm with MilesB on this one.

Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?

SMIM

Even though the pitch is flat, I think you should work on reducing the turn radius after the fall line. You may have to release a little earlier to keep any speed up, as this is powerful stuff. think release at 45 degrees past fall line.

Quantify your tipping/counter combination on a scale of 1 to 5 if you come from Wisconsin and haven't upgraded to metric, or maybe 1 to 10 if you are enlightened/infallible.

Tip gradually to maximum before the release.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 pm

ps to tip more, you may need to flex the inside leg more to enable more range.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm

pps

I think the first question could be:

"do those turns hurt my eyes?"

A big No! to that skizoo, you're doing well, especially as you are on Jams on hard snow.
MonsterMan

Postby oggy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:16 pm

To me it looks like your old stance/new free foot is only lifted after the transition, i.e. after the new stance foot is already on it's big toe edge. For the Super Phantom exercise, the lifting (and thus the weight transfer) should precede the transition. Try making sure that you lift the old stance foot at the end of the turn, and traverse at least one ski length on the little toe edge of the old free foot, before switching edges. Importantly, the lifting needs to be a result of relaxing and lifting of your old stance foot, not the extension of the old free foot.
oggy

Postby Skizoo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:05 pm

MonsterMan wrote:ps to tip more, you may need to flex the inside leg more to enable more range.

MM, Thx for this, flexing the inside leg is something I know I need to improve a LOT, but I don't think I've considered the connection between increased flexing of the inside leg with being able to increase tipping. As I said in my self MA, I am aware that my tipping tends to hit a wall, so this is a tip that really makes sense to me.

HighAngles wrote:Is the inside ski flexed as the turn progresses?

No, it is not. As Matt already noted, you are extending the inside leg at the turn transition. As you noted, your goal is to use the Super Phantom to make your turns. Concentrate on transferring your balance to the LTE of the inside leg without extending it. Lighten/lift the old stance leg and tip it like crazy (even on this fairly flat terrain). I'd like to see a new video where you actually achieve an "O frame" at transitions to really show that you have the correct movements in place.

A great drill for you would be the "static release to the new edges on a downhill" (start on relatively flat terrain and work up to increased steepness). Get the proper sequence down statically first before trying to make it work in an actual turn.

HighAngles, thx, the extending of the inside leg is obviously a hard habit to break. I am aware that it shouldn't be done, but the fact I wasn't even picking up on it when watching the vid tells me there is work to be done. After reading the several comments relating to the extending.. I do see it, I see it as subtle, but it is there. Do you have a visual example you can reference of an 'O Frame"? I've searched the forum and only found a single reference to it.

As to the static release drill, I assume you are referring to page 48 of Book 2?

oggy wrote:To me it looks like your old stance/new free foot is only lifted after the transition, i.e. after the new stance foot is already on it's big toe edge. For the Super Phantom exercise, the lifting (and thus the weight transfer) should precede the transition. Try making sure that you lift the old stance foot at the end of the turn, and traverse at least one ski length on the little toe edge of the old free foot, before switching edges. Importantly, the lifting needs to be a result of relaxing and lifting of your old stance foot, not the extension of the old free foot.

Oggy, this one I am aware of, I defined it in my self MA as being 'late' but you described it a lot better than did I. Correcting the extension of the old free foot, flexing the inside leg. There is a common thread here most everyone is picking up on.

milesb wrote:The upper body movements are appropriate to these turns-up until the fall line- where you lose your CA and CB. It doesn't need to be a big movement for these turns, but you do need to keep it going throughout the turn. However, getting the tipping right is the first step. Inside leg flexing is difficult to see in this video, but I would guess that it doesn't happen because the the tipping stops. Foot pullback is not bad, but you will need to step it up as you skiing gets more dynamic.

Miles, thx, The single thing I have always been most self aware of, is that my tipping often stops. Rich M pointed this out to me in our private lesson a couple years ago, and while I think I've improved, it still occurs, just at a slightly more tipped position than it did previously. I can see re watching the vid how the CA and CB does tend to vanish as the turn progresses. It would probably be easier to ID if this is a major problem area or me just being lazy if this was a steeper pitch, but it's something I can now look at more closely, so appreciate you spotting it. I certainly did not.

Thx for the great feedback everyone, and keep it comin!!
Skizoo

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:08 pm

To me it looks like your old stance/new free foot is only lifted after the transition, i.e. after the new stance foot is already on it's big toe edge.

I don't see this, if it's there it's only marginally late.

MilesB said, referring to CA CB
you do need to keep it going throughout the turn

This may/should happen for you when you up the ante with increasing tipping. When you flex the free leg more, you will be able to tip it more. When you tip on more, learn the move to counter act more in proportion to tipping ON edge.

I think the early counter balance will hold through the turn if you tighten the radius. I suspect that you only straighten up after the fall line because you are not increasing/building pressure by bending the stance ski.

Do a search on "slicing" and author = one of Harald's user names, I seem to recall some great descriptions there a year or two ago.
MonsterMan

Postby Doghouse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Do you have a visual example you can reference of an 'O Frame"
Skizoo,
For a visual of an 'O' frame, check out (in the forum): Links to You Tube, PMTS skiing, HH's latest videos
Miracle Movements of Harald Harb Skiing, Short Turns and Carving, Practic
starting at 2:40. That same sequence is also in the Performance Free Skiing DVD.

Hope this helps.
Rick
Doghouse

Postby Skizoo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Doghouse wrote:Do you have a visual example you can reference of an 'O Frame"
Skizoo,
For a visual of an 'O' frame, check out (in the forum): Links to You Tube, PMTS skiing, HH's latest videos
Miracle Movements of Harald Harb Skiing, Short Turns and Carving, Practic
starting at 2:40. That same sequence is also in the Performance Free Skiing DVD.

Hope this helps.
Rick

Thx Rick, Loading up the DVD now..
Skizoo

Postby oggy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:27 am

MonsterMan wrote:I don't see this, if it's there it's only marginally late.

I agree it's a bit difficult to tell, but that's the impression I get from the video. More importantly, it also appears to me that he is initiating turns with a slight push off the old free foot. Which is exactly the thing that the Super Phantom should prevent - it's very difficult to hold onto the LTE if you're extending (it doesn't really prevent extending later on, but that's another matter). Thus I suggested traversing for a on the old LTE for one ski length. Not that you'd do it in free skiing, since it does kill the turn energy, but it's important to have the ability.
oggy

Postby milesb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:20 am

I'll review the video this weekend on a computer, I've only seen it on a small tablet.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video