MA request for mikeskier

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Yes, i have them all :)

Actually i prefer to do the drills from the essentials dvd library where i have a visual example of the drills. I try to figure out what you mean with "leaning rather than tipping": Does it mean i lean into the turn to create angles? Maybe this is an unconscious movement resulting from the unbalanced feeling i have when i try to tip after the transition to start the turn...

My question would be: How can i recognize the "real inside foot tipping"? The stationary tipping works well for me, at least i think so. So where to start and how to verify? Any suggestion would be great and i will do everything to learn it! One thing that is a bit frustating is that i have the feeling that it will take a very long time to achieve the kind of skiing i like, and that my current progress is so slow :(

I don't have a tipping board, but i will see what i can do. Also i will review the acabes 1 & 2 books. Would you say the essentials book is counterproductive? I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for your time max, it's very valueable for a self teaching pmts student like me, because no one of our skiing teachers can tell me anything about excellent skiing.
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:58 pm

The progression I like is:

Master everything in Book 1, then master everything in Book 2, while supplementing with drills from Essentials for the SMIM.
User avatar
Max_501
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:39 pm

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 am

mikeskier wrote:Does it mean i lean into the turn to create angles?


Yes.

mikeskier wrote:My question would be: How can i recognize the "real inside foot tipping"? The stationary tipping works well for me, at least i think so. So where to start and how to verify?


Students often do static tipping just fine but don't tip enough, or at all, once they start moving. This can be addressed by working on garlands with a focus on EXAGGERATED inside foot tipping to the LTE.

mikeskier wrote:One thing that is a bit frustating is that i have the feeling that it will take a very long time to achieve the kind of skiing i like, and that my current progress is so slow :(


Learning to ski well takes time and commitment. You are already doing very well. Much better than many other skiers I see on the mountain!

mikeskier wrote:I don't have a tipping board, but i will see what i can do.


Make a tipping board and use it often. It should supercharge your ability to perform tipping, flexing, CA, and CB when on the snow.

mikeskier wrote:Also i will review the acabes 1 & 2 books.


IMO you need to master the movements taught in each of the chapters in Books 1 and 2. If you skip Books 1 and 2 and jump directly into Essentials then you have skipped over one footed balance which is a fundamental needed before tackling two footed carving.

mikeskier wrote:Would you say the essentials book is counterproductive? I couldn't believe it.


It could be counterproductive to your goal of rapidly becoming the best skier you can be because there is an underlying assumption that the reader has already mastered the one footed balance taught in Books 1 and 2. Without that one footed balance fundamental the student will progress at a slower rate.

From Page 105 of Essentials:

Clearly, the Phantom Move (the "lift and tilt") provides an immediate, complete transfer of pressure to the new stance foot. Skiers should have full command of complete pressure transfers before they learn progressive or partial transfers. The results of not knowing the complete balance transfer are obvious in most skiers on the hill: they are unaware of where they stand and how to balance, therefore they make sloppy turns without grip that do not control speed or direction. If you aren't able to achieve complete balance on the outside ski, then you will not be in control of your balance from foot to foot. You're just getting what the hill will provide.

Before you start to vary the amount of pressure or weight on the inside ski in arcs, make sure that you can balance 100% on the outside ski. You can confirm this by lifting your inside ski (the free foot) in any arc. You should be able to continue slicing with the stance ski in its groove while you hold the free ski off the snow.
User avatar
Max_501
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:39 pm

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:17 am

Hi there,

i just wanted to update my thread. But i think there isn't much to comment, max already said almost everything important. I will continue with patience :)




I can't get rid of the inclination. I tried some counterbalancing exercises, try to lift my inside hip up... But the main point is, that my tipping is still ... and i don't know much how to improve. I will go back and restart with one footed skiing (did much two footed release exercises) and lift and tip how its described in ACABES 1. Even if my inside foot isn't engaged often, the most time i struggle is when i put too much weight on it. But what to do about inclination? I wonder if inclination is the result of not counterbalancing. Also don't know what to do.

Interesting thing is, that this is my first skiing week, where i felt balanced and good from the first day. My skiing feels much more fluid what is great. But i fear, that some errors creep into my skiing, and i don't want that. Thats the reason why i am posting vids from time to time, to ensure that i don't go into a wrong direction. I hope the experienced skiers could help me with that.
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby geoffda » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi Mike,

Counter-balance and tipping are very closely related. When you tip properly with your feet, you will activate the kinetic chain which will automatically cause rudimentary counter-balance to appear in your skiing. At slow speeds, proper tipping movements will tend to cause you to fall over, so we must naturally counter-balance the tipping movements in order to remain upright.

However, trying to develop counter-balance without foot-tipping doesn't work. Without tipping there is no balance movement to one side that must be countered with movement to the other. Moreover, in your case, you start your turns by leaning the upper body into the direction of the turn. If you were to try to counter-balance with your current movements, you would not be able to turn because leaning is currently your mechanism for getting the skis on edge. If you want your inclination to disappear, focus on foot-tipping first.

Learning how to tip is not easy. That is why ACBAES1 and 2 treat it as a two step process. First, focus on learning how tip to engage to build the bottom half of the arc, then focus on learning how to tip to release (which starts the turn). If you want to get unstuck, go back to ACBAES1 and follow chapters 1, 2 and 4 exactly. These chapters will give you an understanding of what tipping really entails if you truly do the work. Focus on the movements that allow you to step your turns and consider how they are different from what you do on skis. Spend multiple days on these chapters, working in extremely flat terrain. If you do this, I guarantee it will pay off. If you really want to guarantee your investment, get as much video as you can. If you can develop the ability to step turns in the bottom of the arc and do a full release at the top, you will be ready to move on to the Phantom Move in chapter 5 and that will take your skiing to the level that you are looking for.

The above is basically a repeat of what Max_501 said, but I'm saying it again for emphasis. You will never figure out tipping on your own unless you go back and really spend time working the absolute basics outlined in those first chapters. I know the drills probably seem obvious and self-evident, but they are not. You have to actually do them if you want to start to understand. The movements you will make (tipping) to step your turns are not the same movements that are in your skiing now.
User avatar
geoffda
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:42 am
Location: Copper Mountain, CO

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:34 am

I love this forum for its disillusioning honesty :D

You are right geoffda, and thanks for your advice. I did the stepping exercises (in skiboots and on skis) today a fair amount of time around 2 hrs, and also some sideslip exercises and so i do tomorrow. And i'll do it as long as its necessary. Problem is, that there is not much terrain here that is really flat but i'll get it somehow.

I have a question about alignment. I am bowlegged due to more than 20 years of soccer. Can a misalignment be a real obstacle to learn to tip or will i learn correct tipping but not as far as usually possible? Thanks for all your advice geoffda and max!
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Amateur observations:

You say you are bow legged.

I'd like to see you ski with a little horizontal separation. The skis/knees locked together is hiding useful information for my more learned friends here to comment on.

With the existing video, look at the relative angle to the snow of the bte ski and the lte ski. Which is tipping more? I see in many turns more bte.

If you are bow legged and have no canting, I would suggest that your movement to lock the knees together is holding you back. It should be easy for you to ski straight downhill on both little toe edges. Is it?

Of course you are leaning into the hill to get the angles, but my suggestions may help you to stop leaning naturally by being more "two footed". Paraphrasing what geoffda said. The required balance over the stance ski may come naturally. ie your body may counter balance automatically to avoid falling to the inside.

In pmts, an "O" shape or "piggy" (search for it) is gold. Look at Marcel Hirscher in transition. I guarantee you that his knees won't be touching.

Just some thoughts, take them for what they are; observations. And make sure that you follow the advice of Max501 and geoffda.


Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
User avatar
MonsterMan
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:10 pm
Location: Surfers' Paradise, Australia

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi MonsterMan,

thanks for sharing your observation! I think i can provide a video the day after tomorrow. You mean a video where the legs are more separated than usually and where i try to change the edges from one turn to the other? (Maybe power release drill?) I will work on every adive you all give me!
One thing about bte engagement: When i try to tip the free foot (only in skiboots) the stance foot doesn't necessarily follow the tipping! I do it like Harald says in the essentials dvd: first tipping to lte followed by tipping to the bte! My stance foot isn't really passive (or i misunderstood it). Yesterday i found out, that when i ski fast straight down a slope, i can (really?) tip fast from one side to the other without balance loss, maybe because of momentum the speed and gravity gives me!? Tipping at slow speeds is much more challenging!

I can't express how happy i am that i have this brilliant forum that helps self learners like me to get pmts done! (Even if the books should be suffficient)

Till then!
Mike
Last edited by mikeskier on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Get some video traversing one footed (lift one ski) across a very gentle slope on the BTE and LTE of each foot.
User avatar
Max_501
 
Posts: 4055
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:39 pm

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:25 am

Hi max,

i hope these videos are sufficient.






Thank you for your support!
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:37 pm

In the absence of comments from Max501, I will give you my 2 cents worth.

You have balance on each of the four edges.

You don't look bow legged when you ski.

You state that you are bow legged.

I assume you have no canting.

I assume you don't have decently fitted foot beds.

I conclude that it is a movement issue. You are very used to trying to keep you knees together. This movement is up the kinetic chain from the feet. Your haven't worked out yet how to tip your feet when skiing. Indeed, with the knees locked in, I'd challenge anyone to tip to LTE to any useful amount.

Separate your feet so that your knees align correctly, (See book one at the end).

Build a tipping board, (or at least get a bit of plywood and improvise).

Do the dryland tipping board exercises in the free videos from the HSS website. Consider posting video of your movements on the board. I suspect that you will be surprised at what proper tipping is.

As always, I look forward to being corrected if my advice is not correct.

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
User avatar
MonsterMan
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:10 pm
Location: Surfers' Paradise, Australia

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:58 am

MonsterMan wrote:You don't look bow legged when you ski.
You state that you are bow legged.


Good. So that may not be an issue.

MonsterMan wrote:I assume you have no canting.

I assume you don't have decently fitted foot beds.


Don't know what canting means, but generally i can say, that i haven't made any adjustments to my equipment yet.

MonsterMan wrote:I conclude that it is a movement issue. You are very used to trying to keep you knees together. This movement is up the kinetic chain from the feet. Your haven't worked out yet how to tip your feet when skiing. Indeed, with the knees locked in, I'd challenge anyone to tip to LTE to any useful amount.

Separate your feet so that your knees align correctly, (See book one at the end).


I hope its a movement issue. Because it means i can work on it!

Thanks for your feedback, Geoff!
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:59 am

Even if its a bit late: Happy new year :)

My new season started at the end of last year. I have been in Austria from December, 26. - January, 03. Unfortunately half of the time i had a tough cold, so i couldn't spend much time on the slopes.

I start over with ACABES 1 as Max suggested. I warm up in the morning with:
- tipping in ski boots
- walking the s line.
- stationary tipping
- release to sideslip

After warming up, i do the drills from the book with focus on phantom move and super phantom. I commit completely to the drills and practice but it takes so much time!

Actually i didn't make much progress, even if - to me - my skiing looks a bit more in balance and that i don't lean everytime into the turn to create angles. But its a long way to go. I know that tipping is still my SMIM :D



I mainly posted the video for documentation of my progress. However, feedback is still very appreciated :D

The first two weeks of february, i go to austria again. There will be many gentle blue slopes that are ideal to exercise the movements. I hope that i'll have my tipping breakthrough then....
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:34 am

Your latest clip is private
Matt
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Location: Northern Sweden

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks Matt! The video should be accessible now.
mikeskier
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 am

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest