Newbie looking for MA

Newbie looking for MA

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi everyone! So I'm a newbie here as evidenced from the title, lol.

I have essentials and expert 1 and 2, and I've taken one lesson from Bolter down in WV(I live in PA.) I'm mostly trying to get better and I'd appreciate some insight into what I can work on. The nighttime one is on a dark blue and the rest are on green terrain. I know I have a wedge and I know it's cause I need to release the old LTE, I think. Also... when attempting one-footed releases, does anyone have a problem of tripping on the snow? I'll release then my ski gets caught in the snow and I trip, LOL.

I have a tipping board and one thing I'm wondering is that when I'm releasing my old stance ski, should there be any weight on it? I find that when I stand O-framed on my board most of my weight is on the downhill ski which I guess is wrong for PMTS :/

Best,
Nina

hyper_squirrel7

Re: Newbie looking for MA

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Nina,

I'm not one of the folks around here qualified to give a decent MA, but I noticed your videos are marked as private on Youtube, so we can't watch them. You might get better advice if you fix that. :D

Cheers,

Dan
dan.boisvert

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:04 pm

lol oops sorry about that. How about now?
hyper_squirrel7

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Much better!
dan.boisvert

Postby midwif » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi H-S7

Looking at the last /bottom video, you are holding on to the big toe edge of your down hill ski.
That is why you have a wedge in that turn. You have not flexed enough/relaxed that leg enough to tip to the little toe edge.
FLEX MORE (not crouching; the sensation should be lightening almost all weight off the tipping to little toe edge ski) and do it before you reach the fall line.

Hopefully, more able PMTSer's will weigh in.

L.
midwif

Postby polecat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Nina!

One thing I notice is that you're not committing to balance transfer.

Look at that last release on the bunny hill vid starting at 0:36. You start out well, releasing pretty cleanly into a tight arc, close to your pole. But then you continue to weight both skis, rather than committing to the new stance ski. That causes you to straighten out the arc and wedge to recover and get onto the new stance ski.

When we feel tentative or unstable there's a natural tendency to try and keep our weight balanced and stable between planted feet. Unfortunately it only works when we're standing still. To move we need to give up static stability and learn to balance dynamically, in a constant state of change. (We all learn to do that when we give up crawling and learn to walk, and then refine it further to run. Sadly, many skiers never get past crawling, i.e. wedging.)

I think any of the exercises that reinforce balance transfer should help. I'm a big fan of stepping turns (ACBES I: 2-6, 2-8). They seem so simple, but they're deceptively brilliant. Also try one-foot traverses and phantom drag garlands.

And speaking of the phantom drag, there's an old saying that you're only as good as you last turn. Something we see in the vids, something we all tend to do, is concentrate and try real hard in the middle of the run and then sort of give up and get sloppy at the bottom. That often means wedging to a stop. Unfortunately, that makes our last action a wedge and keeps it ingrained in our movements. Staying on your game to the end and stopping cleanly goes a long way toward reinforcing the right movements. Using a phantom drag to stop is a great way to do that.

pc
polecat

Postby milesb » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 pm

You can do the slant board drills on one leg, but be careful as the top of the boot can put tremendous force on the middle of the lower leg. Flexing and counterbalancing properly can prevent this, as well as pointing the boots downhill a bit, but it can still be risky.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 pm

bumpity bump bump
hyper_squirrel7

Postby nickia » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi Nina,

Have you tried take a step back from the Release exercise and go back to some balancing exercises?

Here is what you can try:

1. Downhill 1-ski traverse; do it in both directions
2. Uphill 1-ski traverse; both directions
3. Uphill 1-ski banana turn (tip uphill, release and let it slip, tip again) (this is a cool exercise because soon you'll be able to ski with 1 ski and people on chairlift will look at you:)
4. Super-phantom in larger turn arcs: traverse in uphill ski only, lift and tilt downhill ski to make a turn.
5. Phantom-Javlin exercise in the beginning of Book2 as the pre-requisite to enter the Undergraduate course.
6. One-footed release (do this before TFR so you can transfer balance immediately; however, to do this successfully, you will need to be able to perform the previous 1-5 exercises).

The reason I'm recommending this is because I also struggled with the Release exercises before Max pointed me to work through these basic exercises first. Harald also mentioned many times on this forum that the Release exercises are challenging and should only be attempted when other basics are solid or else wrong movements might be kick-in.
nickia

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:01 am

1. Downhill 1-ski traverse; do it in both directions

I'm pretty sure this means "downhill ski" traverse and not, as I first read it, downhill turn on one ski into traverse.

Just clarifying.

Good advice otherwise, try to be precise though.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Return to Movement Analysis and Video