Razie #2

Razie #2

Postby razie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 pm

I got a little bit this past few days - i will try some more, but this is what i have:

I see a bunch of things that i cycle through... Let me see what you see...

razie

Re: Razie #2

Postby MonsterMan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:33 pm

deleted
Last edited by MonsterMan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:46 pm

Hi Razie, i 've reviewed your video on slow motion and noticed few things:
In PMTS we are talking about flexing and tipping, you are doing an up movement with a lot of big toe edge (see comment of MonsterMan). Plus your new inside leg is moving forward which open your pelvis. In PMTS we are talking about having a good Fore -aft movement by keeping your new inside leg back. By opening your pelvis as you do you are creating some couter-acting but not the PMTS way and by doing so you are skipping the fore-aft movement.
You are a good skier and if you want to learn the PMTS way it will take some time, effort and dedication to kill that extension (up movement and learn to tip). It is possible .
jepoupatout

Postby razie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 am

Boots: Atomic Hawx 100 with custom footbed
razie

Postby razie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Ok - here is my analysis.

Do i get lazy with the inside leg tipping? Yes. All the time? Nope. He snow was pretty chewed up, it doesn't show until you pay attention to how many times i find myself floating... Yes, flat light, couldnt see squat :)

Carving of the inside ski? Not that i can tell untill after the fall line, which is called... weighted release? I see the old outside leg in the air a few times, trying to rush an edge change...

Up and down? Quite a bit, surprisingly... I think it may be a function of trying to move the hips forward and them getting stuck in front of the boots... It seems evident in the last section where i am generating speed on flat. I have to re-evaluate that. I am now working on pulling legs back instead...

I dont think that up and down is with big toe push off though. Will re-examine that. Legs tip independently of the upper bidy getting up, it seems.

Hands too low? Yes, surprinsingly... Will fix that. Hip there? Not much until the last section, again working the flats...

Tip lead? Not as much as to bother me, really.. Not sure where you see that consistently... dont think it messes with my CA as much as you say.

This is the first time I see myself this season, since my last MA here actually... You may have seen me before I did 'cause i was too tired to watch it carefully :)

If you dont agree with my analysis, please break it down.

Thanks and cheers.

P.S. inconsistency, in our system (CSCF) is a sign of the aquisition/consolidation phases, where I consider myself to be. Please keep that in mind. I am NOT trying to fix something I know - skiing in general is new to me... I'm learning it all for the first time.
razie

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm

Things to consider for a detailed MA:

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier?
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg?
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn?
Are the feet pulled back at transition?
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn?
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right?
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement?
Strong inside arm?
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses?
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses?
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn?
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski?
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing?
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out?
Max_501

Postby razie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Thank you!

I will try my hand at my own video, but i would really appreciat someone else's eye.

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier? Yes
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? Some
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? Not really
Are the feet pulled back at transition? No
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? Mostly
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? Yes
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Yes
Strong inside arm? Yes
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? Yes
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? Yes
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn? Yes
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski? Yes
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? Yes
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out? cant say
razie

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:13 pm

razie wrote:Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier? Yes

Is the inside boot touching the outside knee (or leg) as the turn develops?
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Hey Razie,

I think the upward extension in transition is less about fore-aft and more about you needing to compensate for what looks like a pretty knock kneed aligment. At the point when the skis should be flat in transition, knock-kneed skiers are on their inside edges. It is very difficult for knock-kneed skiers to tip their old stance foot to little-toe-edge, which means that the old stance foot tends to block the release. To compensate, knock-kneed skiers will often push off the uphill ski to help get things moving. It looks to me like there is often a slight push off associated with your extension. What you see as a lazy inside foot, I see as a slight hip dump related to the push-off. Normally, what a lazy inside foot looks like is that when the hips drop in, the free leg "platforms" against the stance leg and just lets the stance leg push it downward in a tight package. In your case, the inside leg is often A-framed under the hips, which means that it is still providing support and preventing the hips from dropping in. So the only way around that is to push the hips laterally, which requires something to push off.

The good news is that I see you trying to make the right movements with your feet and you are at least occasionally successful. You know what needs to be done and you are trying to do it. Which is probably why you don't think you are pushing off. If Monsterman and I are right about your alignment, I think you will see a huge difference in your skiing if you correct it.

Until you can get your alignment sorted there are things you can do to compensate. First and foremost, narrow your stance at transition (paying particular attention to pulling the heels in). That will minimize the edge angles caused by being knock-kneed. You are already doing this sometimes, and in those turns you can see that the extension largely disappears and you get real tipping.

You can build on the narrow stance by trying to ski bowlegged and focus on feeling the knee of your free foot move away from the stance leg as you tip your free foot. There a couple of drills that can help you embrace your inner cowboy. 1) Ride the pig. From a narrow stance in the flats, stand on both little-toe edges. This should cause your legs to bow and create an "O-Frame". Now that you've mounted the pig, push with your poles and try to maintain the O. Once you get confident, try it on a gentle slope. 2) Again from a narrow stance, bow your legs slightly and insert two fists between your knees. As you tip your free foot, keep your fists pressed against the insides of your knees and you should feel them seperate. If need be push with the the fist that is against your free foot to help with this process. Get comfortable with tipping both feet. Once you can do this statically, try it on a gentle slope. This drill has the added benefit of keeping you flexed. Both of these drills should help you ingrain the sensation of aggressively moving the free foot to little toe edge so that it actively leads the tipping of the stance foot.

The other thing you can do would be to make use of the Super Phantom transition. At the end of the turn, balance on the little-toe-edge of the old free ski. Then release by pulling back the old stance ski and lifting the tail. Once you've got the ski off the snow, you can tip it to little to edge. If you get that edge that you are stuck on off the snow, it will allow your release and transfer to work without a push off.

On the subject of fore-aft, if you just hold your feet as underneath you as your boots allow when you flex through transition and continue to keep them from moving forward as you move into the new turn, you should find that your hips move into the new turn well ahead of your feet. Ironically, by extending to try to get your feet back early, you completely disrupt this process. The extension also stops your tipping, so adding in a little extra push of stance ski to get things moving again is often tough to resist.

I like what you are trying to do with counterbalance and counteracting. Keep it up. You are making a good effort to hold your counteracting until you are on your new edges. Occasionally, your left arm does you dirt with your pole plant. You'll want to address that eventually.

As I said, I think what is going on with your alignment is really making it difficult for you to accomplish the correct movements. If you can overcome this (either by outright fixing your boots or improving your ability to compensate), I think you will be blown away by the results.
geoffda

Postby razie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 pm

I was playing with a strong inside leg tipping a few times today (busy again) but it takes time to control it. I drops me into the turn very quickly and creates really big angles quickly and i am trying to get used to that.. Controling it and timing it...

I'll see what i can do about my boots... I have another set of boots i will try as well.

Max_501 wrote:
razie wrote:Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier? Yes

Is the inside boot touching the outside knee (or leg) as the turn develops?

Not sure what you mean... I am too wide? I would say the angles are not big enough to justify the touching... But i can see that i could maybe a bit narrower...?
razie

Postby razie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Thanks Geoff, very helpfull!
razie

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

razie wrote:Not sure what you mean... I am too wide? I would say the angles are not big enough to justify the touching... But i can see that i could maybe a bit narrower...?

My reply was related to your answer of "yes" to the MA question of stance width. One external cue is the location of the outside knee in relation to the inside boot/leg. Sometimes they are very close or even touching. At other times not so much. I'm not saying this is a major flaw, just giving you the cue for self coaching.

SMIM = tipping the inside foot. Then work on finishing your turns so you bend the ski for speed control. Be patient at the top of the turn. Flex to release, tip, hold the flex, keep tipping and flexing the inside leg. Don't extend the outside leg until needed to maintain contact with the snow. And work on the NSPP to quiet the arms.
Max_501

Postby razie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 am

now we're in business, thank you!
razie

Postby skifastDDS » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

This skiing reminds me of my skiing from 3 seasons ago, before I began to implement PMTS in my skiing. You can see a very similar push-off and lack of high-C in these turns (left foot alignment was also a mess):

With a lot of work, I got my skiing to this point last season. With the amount of time you have on snow, Razie, you could make huge progress. I made these changes with about 8 days a season to work with.

Obviously I still have a lot to learn, but improvement is largely what makes skiing so fun.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby razie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 am

the truth is that i don't have more than maybe 10 runs for myself a day, less than 5-10 minutes actual snow time that is... the rest is work and quite tiring work at times...

but I'll try to make the best of it. saw myself. got the feedback. not a snow god. hmm. will give it a few weeks and re-video.

:mrgreen:
razie

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video