It's that time again.... Carvers!

It's that time again.... Carvers!

Postby arothafel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Nov. 11, 2012 - City had to replace sewer line and subsequently repave my street. So this is more of a fun video... but for anyone itching to do some MA, there's probably enough material in my first carver run.

Nov. 18, 2012: -- Same hill.... Different day. Focus on: CA/CB with some effort of raising the hip during CB. Tipping earlier. Hands and arm swing... trying NOT to rotate by keeping arms from swinging around. (These may look the same but are 3 different runs)

Nov. 25, 2012 -- Clip #1: Warm-up | Clip #2: Feet, Tipping is definitely too slow at transition. Jepoupatout, this one proves your observation! | Clips #3 and 4: Working on flex-to-release per comments below.. but, then, I lost CA... :(

Dec. 13, 2012 -- On to the snow. This is just some nice powder that dumped on Mammoth. This was just plain FUN....!

Last edited by arothafel on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 9 times in total.
arothafel

Re: It's that time again.... Carvers!

Postby HighAngles » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:09 pm

Funny and creative video. I wish the city would groom my "slope"!
HighAngles

Postby milesb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:30 am

Ur a O framing mofo.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 pm

To you guys who PM me... thanks for the help. Great suggestions. I'll just keep adding to the initial post as a way to mark progression...

Thanks again! -- Art
P.S. Miles... we on snow soon!
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi Art, good improvement over last year. You could tip more and sooner ,we can see some pushing from the new stance leg. The slant board is a good tool to isolate the tipping movement, i don't know if you try yet . it will help.
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:52 pm

Two things I find more difficult on Carvers than on skis:

1.) Seems like tipping is a bit more difficult... or perhaps more tentative due to the consequences of falling on asphalt.

2.) Pulling the free foot back is a daunting move since the "platform" is so much smaller on Carvers than on skis. Requires much more precision since there's no front or back ski leverage to accommodate mistakes. I think this requires much more practice and confidence on the Carvers.

When I watch HH, Jay, Diana on Carvers, I'm in awe of how relaxed and fluid their bodies move through the turns.

Jepoupatout, I have a slant board... but, I admit I spend more time on the Carvers.
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Art, i understand, i felt on the asphalte the last time i did the HarbCarvers 2 months ago and still can see the spot on my hip. I agree with you we have to be cautious with our movement on HarbCarver , the platform is short and we have limited protection.
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:07 pm

arothafel wrote:Two things I find more difficult on Carvers than on skis:

1.) Seems like tipping is a bit more difficult... or perhaps more tentative due to the consequences of falling on asphalt.

2.) Pulling the free foot back is a daunting move since the "platform" is so much smaller on Carvers than on skis. Requires much more precision since there's no front or back ski leverage to accommodate mistakes. I think this requires much more practice and confidence on the Carvers.

A) Regarding your whining above, PM me and I'll send you a link to the skiing website for wussies. :lol:

B) If you want to CA then freaking CA. Its a progressive movement, right? So where should we see lots of CA in those turns?

C) For fooks sake, show HH that you take flexing to release seriously.

D) For those of you that are aghast at my lack of diplomacy... I know Art, I like Art, and I know that he is capable of PMTS perfection!
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 pm

So tell him to "Harden the F--k up! I also love Art, so don't think this is serious.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:18 pm

If you are being told by the coaches to"Harden the F---k Up", it just means they love you. It doesn't mean you are a wimp!
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:54 pm

h.harb wrote:If you are being told by the coaches to"Harden the F---k Up", it just means they love you. It doesn't mean you are a wimp!

True, but you could still qualify as a "wussie". :lol:
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm

It's a tough room.... but, I can "feel" the love...!
arothafel

Postby HighAngles » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:39 am

I can't ski Saturday since we have family in town for the holiday. Art - You've inspired me to slap on the Carvers on Saturday and get some video. I want to feel the love too! (I've been told many times to HTFU so I must be feeling it, right? :lol: ).
HighAngles

Postby arothafel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:39 am

Good luck, HighAngles and I hope you feel the love, too! Here’s a little information that was passed on to me about the PMTS “LOVE” sequence....

Tough Love:

This is Phase I and somewhat militaristic in feel and operation. After you post your video, you will be harassed and chastised for your ridiculously lame movements as they pertain to PMTS. You’ll be told to “Harden the F_ _ K UP!” as a way to inspire you toward deeper flexing... more tipping and, well... more everything. There will be “name calling” like “wussie” and other demeaning comments about your skiing, carving and you, personally. But, fear not. This is the LOVE. You ONLY get this if you have the guts to post video. And, you ONLY get this if you are truly loved by the Commander-in-Chief on down. It means they CARE about YOU!

However, if you still don’t get it... then you enter Phase II

Scared Straight:

If you do not correct your evil ways, you’ll be forced to experience, first-hand, where your wrong movements will lead you.... Yes, that’s right. You’ll be automatically enrolled into a PSIA certification program. Here you’ll experience, first-hand, such dead-end moves like knee-steering, body angling, wide stance... all of it, til you feel and understand the horrible consequences associated with a complete "bag-of-tricks" tool box.

Listen, you better hope you "get it" in this phase... because the next step is really cruel...

Torture:

Not many survive this. But, if you persist in your ugly skiing or carving you’ll be subjected to the worse thing known to man... Yup, you guessed it. Waterboarding! Or in our case.. since it’s a winter sport (dare I say it..) SNOWBOARDING!!!!

God forbid you enter this hell. Most skiers who enter this phase just give up winter sports, entirely -- except for the occasional curling (Minnesota and Wisconsin only).

Well.... I wish you luck and look forward to your video....! :lol:

*** P.S. - To lurkers and PM-ers.... please don't take me seriously.... just having a little fun!
arothafel

Postby razie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:11 am

iLurk :mrgreen:

you scare me, especially since i will have to go to a CSIA certification course probably later this winter :)
razie

Return to Movement Analysis and Video