MA for young Tommi

Re: MA for young Tommi

Postby CRM.OZ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 am

Sorry for the confusion. Missed typing the word NOT - not initiated by the inside ski.

By divergent tips I mean very wide, often seen in the apex of the turn and riding / balancing on the inside ski - instead of the outside ski. Of course when we "tip and touch" the unweighted ski against the inside of the weighted boot the tips will move slightly apart - but this needs to be controlled and the tips should not be allowed to move apart too much.
CRM.OZ

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Ancient wrote:Cheers and thanks for all your advise.

The earlier MA we provided still applies.
Max_501

Postby Ancient » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:52 am

Here is Tommi reapproaching the winter season: we'll try to work on reducing the extension of the old inside leg, flexing and release the new inside leg! As far as tipping is concerned is there still much work to do?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Max_501 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 am

Ancient wrote:As far as tipping is concerned is there still much work to do?

Yes. Tipping is the single most important movement (SMIM) to work on. That and flexing to release. Remember that tipping is easier when flexed.
Max_501

Postby cheesehead » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:34 pm

You might want to take a look at the Hirscher clip recently posted for a good demonstration of not extending in the transition.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby Ancient » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:04 am

Beeing the father of young Tommi, I imagine my skiing is lacking the same PMTS essentials, isn't it?

Ancient

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 am

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x zoom which will help with image stability.
Max_501

Postby Ancient » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:50 am

This is 10 years old Tommy's brother Andrea, for whom an MA is appreciated:

Whilst Tommy has reinitiated his skiing lessons:

Your advise is, as always, very wellcome.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 am

Ancient,
What are you hoping to achieve by posting your kid's skiing on this forum when you are clearly not taking a PMTS approach to their training and have made little to no attempt to incorporate the changes we have suggested over the past 15 months?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jclayton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:29 pm

Helluva , I know it is frustrating but I think you are being a little harsh . Tommi looks a bit ragged on the course ( Andrea very much so ) but the previous free skiing video seems to show some improvement from last year . Mainly on the left turns , I see more CB .

Referring to Max's mantra , I think it would be much more instructive for Ancient to post videos of their drills or attempted drills of Book one's basics .

Also less "Bravissimo" and more attention to what aspects of technique they are actually working on .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 pm

jclayton wrote:Helluva , I know it is frustrating but I think you are being a little harsh . Tommi looks a bit ragged on the course ( Andrea very much so ) but the previous free skiing video seems to show some improvement from last year .

What is the most important essential and do you see an improvement there?
Max_501

Postby Ancient » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:10 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Ancient,
What are you hoping to achieve by posting your kid's skiing on this forum when you are clearly not taking a PMTS approach to their training and have made little to no attempt to incorporate the changes we have suggested over the past 15 months?

Dear Heluva,

I'm very sorry about you reaction on my posts; it should be clear to everybody that here in Italy is not easy to train our kids according to PMTS schemes and techniques which are known by a few passionate fans if not anybody: there is no PMTS skiing school as far as I know.
So I post in this forum my sons' video just because I believe in this skiing method altough I have no deep knowledge of it, and I admit it, but I tried from what I learned to teach my kids as much as I can in the little moments available that we have together when they are not following their skiing lessons: they are taught by their italian instructors and I have little power and skills to influence their technique more than what I said.

Is this a reason to treat a newcome aficionado to this technique like you did? I hope that in this community there can be room to accept persons that are really interested in PMTS altough they don't have, in your opinion, the adequate expertise: is this forum free or is it only for adepts?

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Ancient wrote: I hope that in this community there can be room to accept persons that are really interested in PMTS altough they don't have, in your opinion, the adequate expertise: is this forum free or is it only for adepts?

It has little to do with adequate expertise and everything to do with implementing the former MA that has been given multiple times. Can you see that the MA you have been given before still applies today? And that won't change until you spend significant time with your kids doing the PMTS drills used to build correct movements.

BTW, you did a great job on getting much better MA video!
Max_501

Postby milesb » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:38 pm

Go back to the responses to your first post. Those responses are still applicable to your latest video.

Suppose Tommi's algebra showed that he didn't know how to add, and you told his teacher over and over to teach him 1+1=2. In 15 months if he still couldn't add 1+1, yet the teacher was still showing you his flawed algebra, how would you feel? And yes, Tommi's skiing is lacking the equivalent of 1+1=2.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 am

Ancient wrote:Dear Heluva,

I'm very sorry about you reaction on my posts; it should be clear to everybody that here in Italy is not easy to train our kids according to PMTS schemes and techniques which are known by a few passionate fans if not anybody: there is no PMTS skiing school as far as I know.
So I post in this forum my sons' video just because I believe in this skiing method altough I have no deep knowledge of it, and I admit it, but I tried from what I learned to teach my kids as much as I can in the little moments available that we have together when they are not following their skiing lessons: they are taught by their italian instructors and I have little power and skills to influence their technique more than what I said.

Is this a reason to treat a newcome aficionado to this technique like you did? I hope that in this community there can be room to accept persons that are really interested in PMTS altough they don't have, in your opinion, the adequate expertise: is this forum free or is it only for adepts?

Cheers.

Ancient

Ancient,

I am supportive of your desire to train your kids with PMTS, I think that is great. Most people in the US train using PMTS exactly as you are - on their own. Not having access to a PMTS coach or school is not an excuse. There is more public material for PMTS education than any other skiing source (books, DVDs, YouTube, Forum). What books have you read? What DVDs have you purchased and watched? What drills are you working with your kids when you are free skiing with them when they are not with their Italian coaches? What drills are they struggling with? Are you taking video of their drills and comparing them to the video of HH or the other PMTS experts on this site? Are you reviewing the video you are shooting side-by-side with video of other PMTS Experts WITH your kids present? Can you name all of the Essentials and list at least one drill that targets each one? What work have you done to educate yourself and your kids?

Although the skiing has improved over the past year, I see the same root deficiencies being posted again and again. The MA will not change, because you keep showing us the same skiing, based on the same flawed movement patterns. The MA that was given specifically targeted free foot tipping and stance ski balance. This is step #1. What drills are you doing to fix it? If the drills that you're using aren't working, we can probably suggest some that might. Show us video of the drills - maybe you are doing them incorrectly. Kids are incredible copy-cats - who's skiing are they copying? Give them a correct model in yourself or someone else. Reinforce that model with drills and watching WC skiing together. Point out each Essential as it happens in WC skiing or other high level PMTS skiing so this becomes their mental model of a ski turn. Show them their own skiing side-by-side with the correct model. Point out the similarities and the differences. Select drills to target the deficiencies when you are free skiing. Video the drills and show your kids the results side-by-side with Harald performing the same drills. Keep it fun for them. Encourage the change. Get them excited about it.

We aren't talking about a few minor changes here and there - we are talking about a complete rebuild of how you and your kids ski. Until you either add some legitimacy to PMTS by showing it to your kids using WC skiing AND/OR demonstrate PMTS to a level where you visibly ski better than your kid's coaches (to anyone's eye), you aren't going to make a lot of progress with coaching them. It can be very hard work, but it can be done if you're committed to it.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video