MA for young Tommi

Re: MA for young Tommi

Postby noobSkier » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:25 am

Ancient wrote:How do you evaluate this transition?

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO ... aaVT9Cf1Ea

Hi Ancient,

Seems like this link is broken, but i'll comment on your last video. I have to agree with jbotti...Tommi has some difficulty with his fore-aft balance. I think the main issue here is that he's not active enough with his flexing...its reactive rather than PROactive. When I was first learning how to flex, I had a lot of difficulty with the timing because I was waiting for feedback from the outside ski to know when to start flexing. My break-through came when I decided to actively suck up both knees no matter what...and the timing came naturally. I would tell Tommi to focus on aggressively sucking up both knees (my mental cue is "to the chest") at the apex of every turn...this will result in better fore-aft balance and earlier edge angles.
noobSkier

Postby Ancient » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:58 am

noobSkier wrote:
Ancient wrote:How do you evaluate this transition?

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipO ... aaVT9Cf1Ea

Hi Ancient,

Seems like this link is broken, but i'll comment on your last video. I have to agree with jbotti...Tommi has some difficulty with his fore-aft balance. I think the main issue here is that he's not active enough with his flexing...its reactive rather than PROactive. When I was first learning how to flex, I had a lot of difficulty with the timing because I was waiting for feedback from the outside ski to know when to start flexing. My break-through came when I decided to actively suck up both knees no matter what...and the timing came naturally. I would tell Tommi to focus on aggressively sucking up both knees (my mental cue is "to the chest") at the apex of every turn...this will result in better fore-aft balance and earlier edge angles.

Thanks noobSkier for the advise. Now the link should be working:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ewDhlEMKKg2f9qxh1
Ancient

Postby Max_501 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:38 am

Study the fore/aft section of Essentials and use those drills to develop a strong pull back movement.
Max_501

Postby Ancient » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 am

Max_501 wrote:Study the fore/aft section of Essentials and use those drills to develop a strong pull back movement.

This will be summer homework.

Many thanks!
Ancient

Postby noobSkier » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am

noobSkier wrote: I would tell Tommi to focus on aggressively sucking up both knees (my mental cue is "to the chest") at the apex of every turn...this will result in better fore-aft balance and earlier edge angles.

Ancient, I just want to retract this. It was brought to my attention that flexing happens much later than the apex.
noobSkier

Postby Ancient » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 am

noobSkier wrote:
Ancient, I just want to retract this. It was brought to my attention that flexing happens much later than the apex.

Alright, I take good note of this advise.

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Third Day of Slalom Training of the Season: Tommi (12 years old)

Ancient

Postby Ancient » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:10 am

Hi everybody,

apart from the final crash I would like to understand if some progress has been reached in Tommi's skiing now that he is 13 years old?

Thank you very much for all your suggestion!

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:15 am

Now he's 14, can you see some improvement?

Thanks to all.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby ChrisV » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:46 pm

This is inspirational. Is it possible you could make the old video clips early in the thread available again? It's educational to be able to see how a skier develops as he gets older and his physique and natural abilities change.
ChrisV

Postby Ancient » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:48 am

Tommi at 5 1/2

at 6 1/2

at 7 1/2

Ancient

Postby ChrisV » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Thank you, Ancient! Tommi was carving up a storm at 5 1/2. People here were cracking the whip on him, but you'll see very few children doing so well at the age he was then. It really drives home how sad and unnecessary it is for young children to be taught to sit on the potty and wedge. Their lack of physical maturity is less limiting than some would have us believe.
ChrisV

Postby Ancient » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:22 am

ChrisV wrote:Thank you, Ancient! Tommi was carving up a storm at 5 1/2. People here were cracking the whip on him, but you'll see very few children doing so well at the age he was then. It really drives home how sad and unnecessary it is for young children to be taught to sit on the potty and wedge. Their lack of physical maturity is less limiting than some would have us believe.

Thanks! :D

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 am

Ancient wrote:Now he's 14, can you see some improvement?

Which PMTS book/video are you working from? Are there any particular PMTS drills you have been working on?
Max_501

Postby Ancient » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:30 am

Max_501 wrote:
Ancient wrote:Now he's 14, can you see some improvement?

Which PMTS book/video are you working from? Are there any particular PMTS drills you have been working on?

Tommaso is actually not following any PMTS school or practicing specific PMTS drills, he is just participating to an italian ski racing club altough I sometimes in the past gave him some PMTS tips since I'm a fan of this technique. Furthermore I saw sometimes the drills the coach taught him during the summer training and I noticed some similarities with PMTS drills and that's why I was asking the question on a possible improvement but I'm not an expert.....

Hope that some advise could anyway arrive from the PMTS experts of this forum...

Cheers

Ancient
Ancient

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video