MA for young Tommi

Re: MA for young Tommi

Postby Ancient » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:35 am

Max_501 wrote:
Ancient wrote:I take good note also of your suggestion and we'll try to practice it although in summer my kids practices windsurfing...

Looks like fun and might help with snowboarding but hard to see the cross over to ski racing! If the kids want to be competitive racers they need a decent amount of ski focused dryland training during the off season. Even better if they can get on skis a few times each month.

In summer we usually try to let them have two weeks of skiing camp in the french glacier of Les Deux Alpes and then some weekends in august, september and october compatibly with their basketball training obligation (maybe too many sports?) but we'll try also this dryland training.

Thanks.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby RRT » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Ancient wrote:
I take good note also of your suggestion and we'll try to practice it although in summer my kids practice windsurfing: this is Andrea with 40 knots of wind:

RTE - Andrea needs to release his free foot out of the back strap and pull it in closer to his front stance foot while tipping the board downwind in the transition and then switch and engage on the opposite tack in order to pull off that jibe that I didn't see. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qlnqRi2v0
RRT

Postby Ancient » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:51 am

RRT wrote:
RTE - Andrea needs to release his free foot out of the back strap and pull it in closer to his front stance foot while tipping the board downwind in the transition and then switch and engage on the opposite tack in order to pull off that jibe that I didn't see. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7qlnqRi2v0

Thanks RRT,

Andrea is still practicing the power jibe, but at the end of the video footage he was stopping at the beach side to rest because of the challenging conditions: 40 knots for a 11 years old kid (Andrea's age at the video period) are quite prohibitive conditions.

By the way, I had in the past the same board of the video you posted, now I have an RRD 122 lt. slalom board beyond my freewave board; Andrea is on a Fanatic freestyle board.

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:49 am

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.361381977396538.1073741988.171172796417458&type=3

For whom is registered with Facebook: look at the competitors of this 11 years old male kids race (the ones turning to the right; the left turns are female competitors). I agree with all the criticisms usually expressed by PMTS initiates about young kids coaching apart from a few exceptions: racer #162 is Andrea: what do you think about it in respect of other competitors?

Thanks in advance.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby DougD » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:20 am

Ancientracer wrote: #162 is Andrea: what do you think about it in respect of other competitors?

:roll:

The skiing standard on this forum is PMTS, as demonstrated by HH and other PMTS coaches. Comparing Andrea's skiing to other non-PMTS skiers would be a waste of time and effort. It could only lead to confusion.

If you want to compare 100 varieties of non-PMTS skiing, Epic would be a good place to do it.

If you want to improve Andrea's and Tommi's skiing, stop this nonsense and FOCUS. Follow the advice you've been given 1,000 times on this thread.

Post video of Andrea doing the exercises in ACBAES1, beginning with page 1. Everything else is counter-productive and a waste of time.
DougD

Postby Ancient » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:05 am

DougD wrote:
Ancientracer wrote: #162 is Andrea: what do you think about it in respect of other competitors?

:roll:

The skiing standard on this forum is PMTS, as demonstrated by HH and other PMTS coaches. Comparing Andrea's skiing to other non-PMTS skiers would be a waste of time and effort. It could only lead to confusion.

If you want to compare 100 varieties of non-PMTS skiing, Epic would be a good place to do it.

If you want to improve Andrea's and Tommi's skiing, stop this nonsense and FOCUS. Follow the advice you've been given 1,000 times on this thread.

Post video of Andrea doing the exercises in ACBAES1, beginning with page 1. Everything else is counter-productive and a waste of time.

I'm sorry DougD you take it this way.

My goal was to understand if some forumists could detect some PMTS fundamentals in some of the racers' pictures I posted: I believe it's not a coincidence that in the past HH detected some PMTS fundamentals in a young italian racer, Lara della Mea, therefore I assumed that other italian racers could have been coached the PMTS way.

As far as forumists advice on Andrea and Tommi coaching is concerned, gimme time to implement it! As you know, this season is over for me because of my injury, but this does not mean that I cannot post anymore in this thread, can I?

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:36 am

Ancient, of course you can continue to post and i appreciate your dilemma with you injury. I guess there is a little frustration and exasperation on this thread.

Anyway, take a look at this:
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ature.html
And compare the photos to yours....the difference is HUGE...only 3 skiers standout - 81,89 & 93...and that's only because i am comparing their photo against the link above.
162 is showing signs, but is not as strong/ obvious as the other 3. His legs are still too wide apart, hence he is not able completely balanace on the outside ski. Consequently, there is not enough CB or CA.

Adductor strength (the ones rquired to squeeze/ hold legs together) is very underdeveloped in children. There are plenty of exercises to strengthen this area...has he had his boots aligned? Max or Geoff will be able to tell you better about boot alignment for children..either way, he needs to be able to ski with his feet no more than hip width apart...

See here:
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... s-not.html
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Ancient » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Ancient, of course you can continue to post and i appreciate your dilemma with you injury. I guess there is a little frustration and exasperation on this thread.

Anyway, take a look at this:
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ature.html
And compare the photos to yours....the difference is HUGE...only 3 skiers standout - 81,89 & 93...and that's only because i am comparing their photo against the link above.
162 is showing signs, but is not as strong/ obvious as the other 3. His legs are still too wide apart, hence he is not able completely balanace on the outside ski. Consequently, there is not enough CB or CA.

Adductor strength (the ones rquired to squeeze/ hold legs together) is very underdeveloped in children. There are plenty of exercises to strengthen this area...has he had his boots aligned? Max or Geoff will be able to tell you better about boot alignment for children..either way, he needs to be able to ski with his feet no more than hip width apart...

See here:
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... s-not.html

go_large_or_go_home,

your comments are proactive and helpful and I really appreciate your approach on the matter: I'll explain my kids the core of your analysis.
On my side, I'll keep trying to teach my kids the PMTS theoretics until I can come back on the slopes to teach them PMTS drills and exercises. Until then, I promise, no more videos or photos of Andrea and Tommi, maybe.....To be continued.....

Thanks a lot and Ciao.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:59 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote: There are plenty of exercises to strengthen this area...has he had his boots aligned? Max or Geoff will be able to tell you better about boot alignment for children..either way, he needs to be able to ski with his feet no more than hip width apart...

I forgot the boots alignment issue: Andrea had this boots alignment:

http://www.skibootcla.com/skiboot_eng

That I believe is only for canting measurement and alignment.
Ancient

Postby DougD » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:10 am

Ancient wrote:As far as forumists advice on Andrea and Tommi coaching is concerned, gimme time to implement it! As you know, this season is over for me because of my injury, but this does not mean that I cannot post anymore in this thread, can I?

Cheers.

Ancient

I did read about your very serious injury and I sympathize. That makes it difficult or impossible to travel or even move much until you recover, which I hope you do - fully and quickly!

Perhaps the injury was meant to alert you: our time here is not entirely ours to control, so every moment we can control is precious. Sadly, you've let two years of PMTS progress for your children slip away. They will never get those years back.

Yet even injured, even lying down, there's so much you could do for them. You could, for example, coach them through making a slantboard. Most boys would enjoy doing that with their dad. You could coach them through mastering all of its drills. You could video them doing those drills and post them here for useful, PMTS-oriented MA.

Is it time to follow the good advice you've received? Is it time to focus on fundamentals that really matter?
DougD

Postby Ancient » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:49 am

DougD wrote:Perhaps the injury was meant to alert you: our time here is not entirely ours to control, so every moment we can control is precious. Sadly, you've let two years of PMTS progress for your children slip away. They will never get those years back.

Yet even injured, even lying down, there's so much you could do for them. You could, for example, coach them through making a slantboard. Most boys would enjoy doing that with their dad. You could coach them through mastering all of its drills. You could video them doing those drills and post them here for useful, PMTS-oriented MA.

Is it time to follow the good advice you've received? Is it time to focus on fundamentals that really matter?

Two years DougD? I hope it'is just one, I count to be back next season! But, be sure, I take good note of all the advice of all forumists.

Thanks
Ancient

Postby DougD » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:24 am

Ancient wrote:Two years DougD? I hope it'is just one, I count to be back next season! But, be sure, I take good note of all the advice of all forumists.

Thanks

I hope you're back next season too, or sooner! :D

However, by "two years" I was describing how long you've been asking for PMTS advice (and mostly ignoring it). This thread began >2 years ago.
DougD

Postby Ancient » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:11 pm

:D :D :D
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:43 am

Do you see any improvement in Tommy's skiing (now he is 9 years old):

Free skiing:

during a giant slalom of Vallè d'Aoste that he won:

Cheers.

Ancient
Last edited by Ancient on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient

Postby Jeet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:26 am

Trying to improve my MA skills.

NOTE: I would wait for some of the more accomplished PMTS skiiers to comment.

1. Counter balance - good, inside hip raised
2. Appropriate counter for the about of tipping that occurs
3. Inside foot pull back - could be more of it
4. Flexing into the turn and then flexing further to get out (My eyes cannot see any extension?)

The only thing I would say is inside foot management. I think the stance is too wide. Bring the inside boot closer to the stance boot. This is my SMIM. I believe the pole press exercise is appropriate in this case (Also touch and tilt). Doing some turns where you fully balanced on the stance skii until the END of the turn.

Other drills that might compliment the touch and tile and the pole press

1. 1 footed release
2. Two footed release

Good to see what the other guys think?
Jeet

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video