MA request for Razie

MA request for Razie

Postby razie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:52 am

Preparing for the new season - can you guys please give me some feedback on what to work on (probably everything :) but in what order I guess).

This is one video towards the end of last season:

Sorry for the quality... I was on a blue run, the first two runs are on GS cheaters 19m and the SL runs on softish 11 or 12m skis - Fischer RX 8. I know I was pushing the SL runs too fast to focus on anything but staying up :)

thank you,
Razie
razie

Re: MA request for Razie

Postby jbotti » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:27 pm

The most obvious thing we would look to change is the distinct up move (you are extending to release instead of flexing to release) that is evident in the first footage when you are on the cheater GS skis. The up move is less evident on the slalom skis, but your range of motion with flexing is limited.

Flex to release. This is the first thing for you to change in your skiing.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:38 am

Here's a video to help understand flexing vs the up move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYj1a69 ... re=g-all-c
CO_Steve

Postby razie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:52 am

Thank you. I can see the difference in the video... I will put it on my list for this season.

Why is flexing to release better than extending? Is it more efficient?

What else am i doing wrong? Or should improve on next?
razie

Postby jbotti » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Tipping your skis is significantly more difficult when your legs are extended. From this position (extended) you have maximum pressure on the skis. Flexion releases the pressure on the skis enabling on to tip early into the next arc. Yes it is much more efficient as extending is a wasted movement (that also makes it harder to get the new edges engaged).

Learn to combine flexing with tipping and you should notice a big difference in your skiing.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:39 am

jbotti wrote:Tipping your skis is significantly more difficult when your legs are extended. From this position (extended) you have maximum pressure on the skis. Flexion releases the pressure on the skis enabling on to tip early into the next arc. Yes it is much more efficient as extending is a wasted movement (that also makes it harder to get the new edges engaged).

Learn to combine flexing with tipping and you should notice a big difference in your skiing.

That is nicely and succinctly said.
Skiasaurus Rex

Return to Movement Analysis and Video