Art - MA

Art - MA

Postby arothafel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Here's my version of short turns. Yuck... I already see the wedge! Have at it!

arothafel

Re: Art - MA

Postby Max_501 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:07 pm

With the exception of fore/aft the movements are difficult to determine.

Next time try this:

Have the cameraperson stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x zoom which will help with image stability.
Max_501

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi Art, Like Max said it is a bit difficult to see. However I get the distinct impression that you are extending your legs towards the end of the turn. You do flex a bit, but since you ended the turn by pushing it does not really help. It also looks like you are pushing the feet forward towards the end of the turn, sending you into the back seat. On several occasions the tips are off the snow.
Matt

Postby arothafel » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 am

Sorry it's so small... but it's all we got! Thanks for the tips Max.

Dead-on Matt. I have been battling that dreaded push-off / leg extension for years. That push-off is almost a stemmed edge check at the end of the turn. Yuck! I was attempting to lift the old stance ski off the snow and almost bang it up against the new stance boot - as a way of not pushing off. That's the tips in the air. Not very successful.

Matt wrote: ...looks like you are pushing the feet forward towards the end of the turn, sending you into the back seat.

Not my intent... but that appears to be the case! Here's what I was trying to do. All year I've been experimenting with lifting my inside hip. On long locked-edge carves, it's absolutely amazing how much that subtle move makes a difference in allowing for more tipping and tighter arcs. It definitely throws me in the back seat if I'm not prepared and in balance.

So, I was trying to feel it out doing the same thing with the short turns. Looks like I got the same back seat result - although I never "feel" like I'm on my heels, at all. I'm not even sure if it's appropriate to lift the hip on short turns. In some ways, it feels like it might create an "up" move. Would like to gain some feedback about this as well.

Are my poles too long?

FYI: If you click on the Vimeo logo the video is enlarged. I don't know it's any more helpful or not.
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:46 am

Matt wrote:On several occasions the tips are off the snow.

Tips off the snow at the end of a turn is normal, especially for short turns. The pressure should move from the front of the ski to the back of the ski as the turn progresses. The key is to drive the tips back down during the transition with a strong foot pullback.
Max_501

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:58 am

Max_501 wrote:
Matt wrote:On several occasions the tips are off the snow.

Tips off the snow at the end of a turn is normal, especially for short turns. The pressure should move from the front of the ski to the back of the ski as the turn progresses. The key is to drive the tips back down during the transition with a strong foot pullback.

Yes, but not if it is caused by pushing.
Matt

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Matt wrote:Yes, but not if it is caused by pushing.

Its not caused by pushing.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 am

Max and Matt... thanks so much for feedback -- especially on such difficult video to view.

My intent is not to lift the tip at all. I'm trying to lift just the back of the ski as a way to NOT push off. Then, when I lift the back of the ski, I literally attempt to swing it into my new stance boot so as to be totally weighted on my new stance ski. In my mind I think of the unweighted tip as being sort of a hinge that is tipping while swinging into my stance boot. I realize now that I need to pull the free foot back more aggressively.

Max, I've been watching your video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUKjeRTMIs). The first :10 or so really show a lot of what I'd like to accomplish.

Thanks again for the feedback. At this point.. it's all Harb Carvers til next season!
arothafel

Return to Movement Analysis and Video