MA for Carl

Re: MA for Carl

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 am

In this case the MA focus is on what happens during the turn (rather than the start of the turn). We'd like to see aggressive tipping and foot pullback thoughout the turn as the inside leg is flexed (which Carl does a very good job of already).
Max_501

Re: MA for Carl

Postby Carl R » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Thank you very much for the MA, it's very appreciated!

In the first video, I was mostly focusing on keeping the speed down by turning. I don't like it when the speed picks up too much for the type of ski, and the turning radius goes outside of the working range of the skis.

In the second and third video (with the GS skis), I was instead imagining the slope being very flat, ignoring the speed. I was focusing on making the skis turn.
From my POV skiing, it doesn't feel like they turn much at all. It looks like much tighter turns on the video than what I'm experiencing.
Usually I only use the GS skis in courses and they feel very different and are much easier to turn when there's a pole to aim at. Maybe because I cut out a part of the arc sometimes, but still it feels much easier getting GS skis turning in a course.

I have thought about what looks like hip dumping. Here's what I do from my point of view:
I feel that I always start the turn from tipping the new inside foot after having released it from the previous turn by relaxing. When I start tipping the inside foot, I immediately follow with the knee and let the rest of the body follow. I have a completely blind faith that the skis will handle any angle so I never hesitate to follow the tipping angle. The new inside leg is also still relaxed so it doesn't provide any resistance to the transition.

I have more days in the course than outside the course this and last year, and I've noticed that I have developed some oddities:
* First I'm quite focused on getting a high angle early so that I can start the arc as soon as possible in the next gate.
* Second I experienced a lot of the inside-boot-releases-outside-boot phenomenon in the beginning trying pmts technique. When I was tipping the inside leg and realised that I could tip it to any angle and the body would follow, I didn't have the feet far apart enough at first. The outside leg lost contact with the snow when the inside foot got in the way.
When I realised that was the reason of sliding sideways out of the course on my hip I added some more vertical separation. Now when I move the inner knee towards inside, I also pull up on it adding vertical separation. Maybe it's too much at times, but that's the story.

In the first video, I have tried continuing adding more angle, but the skis don't hold it's course if I add more. I agree that the turns look a little like waiting sometimes.
Carl R

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video