2011-2012 Compilation Video - MA is welcome

2011-2012 Compilation Video - MA is welcome

Postby skifastDDS » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 am

I had the opportunity to ski with HeluvaSkier at his home mountain of Holimont a few weeks ago, and I just returned from a week in Colorado. See video below- switch quality to 720p:

Full 646 mb .mov file available here (youtube ruins video):
https://xfiles.uth.tmc.edu/xythoswfs/we ... t_rmOq7EAa

Areas of focus were CB/CA and earlier free foot tipping. I made some progress with CB, but the free foot tipping issue remains a glaring deficiency by my assessment.

For comparison, last year's video thread is available here:
http://pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3575
Last edited by skifastDDS on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Re: 2011-2012 Compilation Video - MA is welcome

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:08 am

CA/CB, Tipping, Flex (and hold the flex while tipping to start the new turn). Work on hand position and pole touch (can you see the hands dropping).

In the first clip the flex movement is good, but in a few later clips there is a bit of a pop. Rule of thumb, flex the outside leg to match the flex of the inside leg.
Max_501

Postby jepoupatout » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:22 am

Very good ski, your strong side is when you turn to the left , on the weak side you lack of CB as CA. IT would be interesting to see you do some bullet proof short turn, to see how you manage your skill when you tighter the turn.
I agree with Max, some Pop up on your last video but not so damageable to your form. I haven't seen any pivot which is a good thing.

Your are a very good skie, interesting to watch.
jepoupatout

Postby HighAngles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:38 am

Good to see you back here skifastDDS. We skied together at the end of last season when you and Heluva made the trip to CO.

I watched your video a couple times and my main observation is that most of your turns are coming from the back of your skis. You're not getting strong tip engagement in the high-C. In fact many times your tips are in the air as you enter your next turn. The few times where I did see you get some nice tip engagement it looks like the response from the skis "surprises" you and you lose balance - unable to control the forces they generate moving into the transition. Most likely this is due to needing to work more on your flexing to release and a stronger foot pull back in the transitions so that the skis aren't getting away from you.

Are you now done with dental school? Will you be getting more time to ski next season? Hopefully we can reconnect for some turns together along the way in the next season or two.
HighAngles

Postby skifastDDS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:28 am

HighAngles wrote:Good to see you back here skifastDDS. We skied together at the end of last season when you and Heluva made the trip to CO.

I watched your video a couple times and my main observation is that most of your turns are coming from the back of your skis. You're not getting strong tip engagement in the high-C. In fact many times your tips are in the air as you enter your next turn. The few times where I did see you get some nice tip engagement it looks like the response from the skis "surprises" you and you lose balance - unable to control the forces they generate moving into the transition. Most likely this is due to needing to work more on your flexing to release and a stronger foot pull back in the transitions so that the skis aren't getting away from you.

Are you now done with dental school? Will you be getting more time to ski next season? Hopefully we can reconnect for some turns together along the way in the next season or two.

Good to hear from you, M.

I agree with your observation, around 1:53 in the video (the right-footer) there's a good example of what you're talking about. I succeeded in getting decent high-C engagement and foot pullback, and the resulting forces were something I'd never experienced before. As a result, I released the turn almost immediately (too soon and too abruptly) to avoid blowing out. Heluva has repeatedly told me that I need to trust the stance ski more in the high-c, along with free foot tipping and pullback work. Plenty to focus on for next year...

Unfortunately I am not finished with d-school, 3 years left. Thus, I remain on the limited ski day plan for the forseeable future, haha. We will definitely have to make some turns soon though.
skifastDDS

Postby Max_501 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:14 pm

HighAngles wrote:I watched your video a couple times and my main observation is that most of your turns are coming from the back of your skis. You're not getting strong tip engagement in the high-C. In fact many times your tips are in the air as you enter your next turn.

I will offer a slightly different view.

Could skifast use more foot pullback at the release? Sure, couldn't we all. But is he showing a perma aft stance that forces him to ski off the back of the ski? I don't think so, as we can see by the turn shape. Also, an important point is that we don't try to get 'strong' tip engagement in the High-C. Why? Because there isn't pressure up there to give us strong tip engagement. Telling a student to get 'strong' tip engagement in the High C is likely to lead to a pushing or over extension type of movement. Instead we focus on the other things that lead to pressure later in the turn. HH has explained in past posts that ski tips in the air at the release can happen and is within normal release parameters for high energy turns like skifast is making, the key is getting them back down quickly.
Max_501

Postby VeraKeisey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 am

Awesome, i watched it for several times,. i think i can learn a lot from it.
VeraKeisey

Postby BigE » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:43 pm

in my opinion, the inside arm and hip ought to be raised more aggressively.
BigE

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:28 am

DDS Great skiing by any measure but especially if you ski only 7 days a season.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 am

DDS Great skiing by any measure but especially if you ski only 7 days a season.
h.harb

Postby skifastDDS » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:15 am

h.harb wrote:DDS Great skiing by any measure but especially if you ski only 7 days a season.

Thanks Harald, that's a huge compliment coming from you. I've found that the extensive focus and study I put into understanding ski technique in the off-season has allowed me to make rapid progress within my limited on-snow time. I still have a long way to go.

BigE wrote:in my opinion, the inside arm and hip ought to be raised more aggressively.

I agree. I'm lacking CB and CA as discussed above. My main focus this season will be on fixing the top of my turns. I'm not achieving adequate tipping and concordant pressure in the high-c. I'm hoping the slant board drills will help me learn the balance I lack in this part of the turn.

I've trained at an intensive martial arts school 3 times a week for a few years, and I think the balance, flexibility, and proprioception I've gained from that have done a lot to help my skiing.
skifastDDS

Return to Movement Analysis and Video