SL Turns MA

Re: SL Turns MA

Postby A.L.E » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 am

A couple of weeks ago Diana "cured" my problem RH turns with two days on snow.
As per skifastDDS my most glaring issues were lack of CB/CA, falling inside and some hip dump.

She had me spend a day on super phantoms to get the balance established on the stance ski with tipping of inside foot. Dialling in CB with levelling of pelvis and strong inside hand. Rather than relying on dragging outside pole tip to get CB as I have done in the past I focused on these images Max often refers to. This helped enormously.

Next day CA was fixed with pole plant to side plus forward inside hand.

The progression drill then was to speed up the change in balance with quick edge change from stance foot to stance foot, maintaining CB/CA and showing the ability to lift the inside ski at any point and not fall inside, proving stance ski balance was dominant.

The other thing Diana picked out, (without my prompting) was a further half degree tweak in alignment on my weaker LH stance foot side. It took only 6 turns on the cat track to confirm she had stabalised it. I was blown away by how such a small increment could have such a dramatic effect.

I'd suggest skifast follow similar drills, plus tweak the alignment with Greg's help.
A.L.E

Postby emakarios » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:22 pm

It seems there are two processes going on here:
(1)A PMTS coach giving feedback based on the SMIM, without adding anything else to cloud that focus.
(2)Fellow PMTS students practicing MA, which results in a wide variety of statements, many of which are technically "correct", but might not lead to a change in the skiers performance.
Maybe that's the difference between being a coach and being a student.
Good thread!
Thanks to Max 501 for the coaching.
emakarios

Postby skifastDDS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:02 pm

A.L.E wrote:A couple of weeks ago Diana "cured" my problem RH turns with two days on snow.
As per skifastDDS my most glaring issues were lack of CB/CA, falling inside and some hip dump.

She had me spend a day on super phantoms to get the balance established on the stance ski with tipping of inside foot. Dialling in CB with levelling of pelvis and strong inside hand. Rather than relying on dragging outside pole tip to get CB as I have done in the past I focused on these images Max often refers to. This helped enormously.

The progression drill then was to speed up the change in balance with quick edge change from stance foot to stance foot, maintaining CB/CA and showing the ability to lift the inside ski at any point and not fall inside, proving stance ski balance was dominant.

The other thing Diana picked out, (without my prompting) was a further half degree tweak in alignment on my weaker LH stance foot side. It took only 6 turns on the cat track to confirm she had stabalised it. I was blown away by how such a small increment could have such a dramatic effect.

I'd suggest skifast follow similar drills, plus tweak the alignment with Greg's help.

Very fascinating stuff, thanks. Could you explain what that picture represents? (or link to where max used it) I don't understand what I'm supposed to see from the three frames.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby Max_501 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:17 pm

skifastDDS wrote:Very fascinating stuff, thanks. Could you explain what that picture represents? (or link to where max used it) I don't understand what I'm supposed to see from the three frames.

http://www.harbskisystems.com/harald/061028.htm

and this thread is loaded with info

http://www.pmts.org/pmtsforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1542
Max_501

Postby A.L.E » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:48 am

skifastDDS wrote:
A.L.E wrote:A couple of weeks ago Diana "cured" my problem RH turns with two days on snow.

Very fascinating stuff, thanks. Could you explain what that picture represents? (or link to where max used it) I don't understand what I'm supposed to see from the three frames.

If you can keep your pelvis level CB issues are solved!

The pelvis levelling for me was helped significantly if I also focused on creating some core tension in the pelvis/hips area. Rather than just a side crunch of the oblique muscles for CB, the raising of the inside hip I found requires more continual core tension. The slow speeds offered on the flats and cat tracks are great areas for developing core tension with counter balancing/counter acting hip movements and light inside foot tipping and stance ski balance.

Edit in bold - thanks Todd!
Last edited by A.L.E on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A.L.E

Postby A.L.E » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:35 am

emakarios wrote:It seems there are two processes going on here:
(1)A PMTS coach giving feedback based on the SMIM, without adding anything else to cloud that focus.
(2)Fellow PMTS students practicing MA, which results in a wide variety of statements, many of which are technically "correct", but might not lead to a change in the skiers performance.
Maybe that's the difference between being a coach and being a student.
Good thread!
Thanks to Max 501 for the coaching.

I agreed completely with Max's assesment in this case and saw exact similarities in skifastt's lack of CB/CA, particularly on the one side, as I have dealt with. I can't pick alignment issues though but, recent experience tells me very minor tweaking can have a dramatic effect.

In my first post I recounted my 2 days instruction because I think it applies precisely to skifast's problems and putting my advice into some real life context via recent instruction with Diana could be worth while.

As Diana said to me, you have to get on the stance ski and ensure balance is there. Don't push the stance foot away from you and don't fall away from it. "GET ON IT AND STAY ON IT". Then once you have CB/CA and resulting stance foot balance, how fast can you change feet? Keep a level pelvis and the job is nearly done.
A.L.E

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video