MA | Carvers | Days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, on snow (hips/arms)

Re: MA | Carvers | Days 1, 2, 5, 6 (hips), 9 (hips/arms)

Postby arothafel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:05 pm

O.K. road rash is healing up .. but still a little tentative. Was working on raising my inside hips and trying to pay attention to my arms at the same time. I think it ruined whatever flexing I had going on.. but tell me what you think. I'm actually going to be on skis Tuesday and Wednesday. Can't wait!

arothafel

Postby MonsterMan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:22 am

ouch, road rash hurts.

Be careful to keep the tipping timing correct Art. LTE first. Perhaps it was because you were working on the arms and hips, but in this last video the feet were out of synch to my eye.

Enjoy the snow.

Geoff
Last edited by MonsterMan on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 am

Hi Art, without flexing at the end of the turn you have to initiate the turn with other mechanism. On your last video i saw initiation of the turn with some push off, it is easy to see by watching your knee in the high C, you are closing the gap bettween your knee slightly and not for long by the action of pushing on your new outside leg ( BTE ).

From flexing it is easy to initiate the new turn with tipping and adding almost simultaneaously CA and CB. As you know all the essential works altogether.

At this point let's get back to flexing at the end of the turn and start from there the new turn by tipping first adding CA and CB by positionning your hip.
jepoupatout

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:47 am

On Harbcarver the end of the turn comes very fast, so to create more flexion:
Cross the road (do a traverse) with your both leg flex and start the movement of tipping , past the fall line start immediately to release the pressure on your outside leg by increase flexing (bending) the stance leg and increase flexion of stance leg until is as flexed as the free -foot. At this point your chest will be almost square and enter in neutral position for transition.
As soon as you are comfortable with flexing and tipping start to incorporate the other essential and you are back on track.
:D
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 am

Man..... I just love how fast you guys respond with some solid feedback... Thank you!

Geoff... you're absolutely right. I was out of sync. There's wavering going on with my feet as I was so focused on trying to raise my hips and stop my arm-swing. Plus, as jepoupatout points out, the Carvers come around pretty quickly. And even more so if you hold any kind of CA/CB. As I experiment with this, I continually get thrown into the back seat... so, after last week's crash, I think my movements were not loose and relaxed but more tight and totally out of sync. I guess this is what happens as we all experiment with new movements.

Jepoupatout... you're advice is dead on. Back to flexing, tipping and somehow getting the timing worked out. Push-off is another of my old bad habits... (very BTE heavy)!

What about the arms..? I think they're a little better.. and I was trying to hold CA/CB a little longer than in the past. Not perfect.. but I'm always looking to find out if I'm in the right direction.

Thanks again guys. I'll be thinking of you... or your advice... when on the hill Tuesday and Wed.

Cheers!
arothafel

Re: MA | Carvers | Days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, on snow (hips/arms)

Postby arothafel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:09 pm

O.K., so I tried to take your advice on hips and arms to the hill. I wish I had video for this question.

Is it possible to have too much hip action? In attempting to create medium/small size brushed carves, it seemed like I was swinging my hips (CA) too much. Like, maybe I was leading the turn with my hips instead of flexing and tipping. As soon as I can, I will get some video of this.

Meanwhile, on locked carves, the HUGE take-a-ways from your advice was the way my skis come around when I raise the inside hip. As a result I am able to carve tighter and more complete arcs -- just as on the Carvers. Timing is still an issue. I assume this is a matter of practice.

Also.. in one of HH's posts, he stated that the arms reflect what the hips are doing. Every single time my CA or CB was out of whack... sure enough.. my arms were swinging forward. For me.. this is a great "feedback loop."

I'm back to Carvers for a few weeks and I'll continue to work on all of this - and post video if I think it's showing some improvement.

Thanks again for all the great MA.

Art
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Hi Art , tipping comes first to engage the edges and you add CB and CA. ( With good hip positionning.). As you release the edges by flexing. You keep. Your hip in CA until transition. To pass neutral and start the cycle. Again.
You can lead the turn with the inside hip as the inside arm.
If you are under the impression that your hip swing from side to side with loss of tipping as flexing. Revisit the sequence order of the movement. On your last video we saw some BTE and it means for me that you skipped flexing and by default reduced the possibility to tip appropriately.

When you focus on hip only and skip tipping as flexing you are at risk of hip dumping.

Here is a dryland exercise of my own to isolate the hip without dumping it.
At the bottom of a stairs with your body perpendicular to the first step start to climb the stairs laterally one step at a time. Using your hip movement, moving it up and down and playing wit your pelvis angle . I should have a video to demonstrate this . Your leg closiest of the stair is your free leg, tip it , play with your hip moving it up, unlock it. Until you cover the gap bettween the second step of the stair and climb it.
You will find that by playing with your hip like that your upper body will take the same angle of your pelvis and hip dumping will not help you climb the stair.
When you find the right angle you can climb each step more easyly, take your time.
Use your arm for stability at the end you will have more control over your hip.
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:18 am

Thanks jepoupatout ...
Your assessment is correct. I am probably substituting hip movement for proper flexing and tipping. Perhaps focused on the hips too much.

I think I need to see your exercise with the stairs. There's no way my hips will unlock to the distance between stairs. No doubt I'm not understanding the exercise properly. It would be great if your could show a photo or video.

Thanks again for your help.

Art
arothafel

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video