MA | Carvers | Days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, on snow (hips/arms)

Re: MA | Carvers | Day 1, 2 and 5....

Postby arothafel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks polecat... I'll look it up.
For now, though... I'm all hung-up on getting the "hip-thing" figured out. Hopefully taking Max's and jepoupatout's advice of lifting everything on the inside during CB will get me started.
arothafel

Re: MA | Carvers | Day 1, 2 and 5....

Postby geoffda » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:50 am

Work the CA and CB dryland (combined with tipping); it will really help. Practice while you are brushing your teeth. Doing the dry land will help you build the level of hip awareness that will allow you to take this into your skiing.
geoffda

Re: MA | Carvers | Day 1, 2 and 5....Day 6 (hips)

Postby arothafel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Okay... this is the first time on Carvers trying to get my hips figured out. I did a bunch of dry land exercises and tried to bring it to the Carvers...

Nowhere near perfect, but, can you tell me if I am even in the right direction? I don't want to be practicing the wrong movements. It sure doesn't look like much on the video but it truly felt different. It actually felt right to me.. but that doesn't mean it is.

The one big thing I noticed is that by attempting to raise my inside hip I am able to carve a much tighter arc. Kind of took me by surprise the first couple times. Threw me back a little, too.

Let me know what you see.... I very much appreciate your help.
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Wow, good improvement, you are in the right direction. I saw a couple of very good turn.Ccontinue to practice the essential with the hip unlock, i was able to see the difference.
Good work
jepoupatout

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 am

Hi Art, here in more details my analysis:
First the best sequence are from time 00.21 to 00.26, as we advance in the video the better the turn were.

00.01 Good C B and CA in the high C but in the low C you lost your CA as you move forward your poling arm , consequentely you were not able to develop enough flexion and the following turn you had to compensate with more push up. Keep in mind that if you lose the CA your hip will lock or close if you want.

From 00.10 you did some push up of the leg.
00.17 good turn to the right, make sure that you don't advance your poling arm pass your boot, that happened regularly in the video.

Conclusion:
In that video you were able to generate more flexion compare to the others videos, your turn were more tight, better radius, in the high C to the middle of the turn you were able to develop good tipping CA and CB, pass the fall line your poling arm as moving forward as a tendency to disrupt your form affecting the CA as your pelvis ..locking it.
Practice the no swing pole plant, keep the CA and pelvis unlock as long as you can , that way you will be able to develop a better flexion and pass the neutral position in perfect balance for the following turn.

Have fun
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:38 am

jepoupatout ...

Thanks so much for the quick response MA. Excellent eye re: my arms. Anyone who's been around me via camps, video, etc. knows I've been fighting my arm swing for more than 5 years. You've identified an ongoing issue. It used to rotate my entire upper body and cause all kinds of issues. You are absolutely right that the "no swing pole plant" should be of the highest priority for me.

Unfortunately, when I concentrate on one thing (like hips) other bad habits creep back in! It's the chest of drawers!

I totally agree with your clip segment assesment. The second clip was the best of the three. And, even then, only parts of one or two turns.

I will keep working on this as I can really feel the difference. I "feel" a lot more than what is showing in the video... but isn't that always the way it is..?

Thanks again for the MA and quick response. Much appreciated.

Art
arothafel

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 am

Yes sir, you are headed in the right direction. Spend a few minutes per day on the dryland exercises to teach your body how much movement you have at the hip joint.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Max...

You've been so helpful throughout my process and are always "dead-on accurate" in assessing my movements. It's really helpful to know whether or not I'm in the right direction or not. Nothing worse than practicing dead-end movements (wide stance, angulation, blah.. blah.. blah.. :| )

Thanks again for your keen eye... I'll keep up the practice.

Mammoth opens next week... !
arothafel

Re: MA | Carvers | Dayss 1, 2, 5, 6 (hips) and Question

Postby arothafel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I was out practicing the raised inside hip while on the Carvers today. Can you guys confirm something?

What I really notice is that when I do it correctly, (raising my inside hip) it seems to lighten my free foot thus allowing me to carve a tighter arc.

It also allows me to tip the free foot way more quickly. In fact, so much so that today I "train-wrecked" on my street as the turn was happening too quickly and I got thrown into the back seat. I just couldn't keep up with it. I finally got it under control.

So, is this what you notice...? Quicker and deeper tipping? Resulting in tighter arcs?

Thanks in advance..... now to tend to the road rash... :cry:
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Art, my guess without a new video is that you need to flex more the inside leg to drop you hip and stay in balance. You have to relaxe your muscle and don't resist to the movement to develop bigger angle. By unlocking your hip you've created a new cognitive perception of your movement and your brain is resisting and keep you in transition between your old movement and the new, so you are trying to adjust , with more practice you will fine your balance.

HH Quote:
Skiing is about relaxing muscles, so individual body parts can move in the correct way, without dragging other parts with them, making everything incorrect and difficult.

P/S Art , i am not talking about dumping your hip because i assume that your hip is unlock and by flexing more the inside leg with increase of tipping from fall line to the low C your hip will drop creating better angle.
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks again, jepoupatout

... no doubt I need more flex on the free foot side. And I think I understand that it's not hip dumping. It's about staying loose and "in-balance." This little adjustment of raising my inside hip is causing lots of new "feelings" and feedback. Most of which I'm not familiar.

I still would like to confirm if this feedback is correct. That raising the inside hip lightens the free foot thus allowing it to tip more quickly and more deeply resulting in much tighter arcs. This is the major feedback I'm getting and now it seems to be a matter of learning to control it - as you mentioned via more flex and staying in balance.

Also, I notice that because of these tighter arcs, I really have no choice but to really flex at the end of the carve in order to release it. One thing just leads to another... in a good way!

Thanks again for the help.
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:34 am

Art, if you feel that you are lightening your free foot it is related to the movement you had before you started to unlock your hip. as you mentioned earlier you had a tendency to lean too much inside the turn (see you comment with your Avatar), so it is normal that you noticed a difference of weight of your free foot. When a skier lean too much inside the turn without proper CB and CA it put extra weight on the inside ski and by adjusting your hip you modified your balance and lightened the free foot.
So you are in the right way, tighter arc , more speed also and eventually more control as the practice goes on.
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:29 am

That makes total sense...

Thank you, jepoupatout!
arothafel

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:10 am

Hi Art, another observation from the hip analysis that worth a second look to the image comparaison:

Re: What's "Hip" in PMTS and Harb Ski
by h.harb » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:01 am
Please note that in the web page I posted in the upper message, the skier to my left is actually holding his inside arm higher and his outside arm lower than I am. This is very good, but it isn’t the real idea of that arm position. The arms and shoulders help, but ultimately the hips need to show more leveling and the inside hip should become higher as the outside hip drops lower and back. If you compare the photos in the last frames you can see the hip angle difference. The hip angle difference makes the real difference in ski and turn performance. The arms are a reminder and a guide to evolve the right movements, but in the final tally, the hips need to be countered balancing and acting.
Whatever you aspire to or dream, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic. Why waste your energy, time and funds practicing incorrectly when the right way is known?
HARB SKI SYSTEMS, The Leader in Modern Ski Technique and Instruction!
h.harb
http://www.harbskisystems.com/harald/061028.htm
jepoupatout

Postby arothafel » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks jepoupatout....

Max also forwarded that page to me. I've permanently bookmarked it! It really demonstrates the whole idea quite well. Also, that the arms are a "reminder" or guide of what the hips are really doing is something I never really thought about.

One or two more days on the Carvers and then to the hill for the "real deal." I look forward to seeing how well I'm able to transfer the movements from the Carvers to my skis.

Thanks again for all the help.
arothafel

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video