New MA for acali

New MA for acali

Postby acali » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 pm

I haven't been on carvers much recently but here is where I'm at right now.
First video is on a slope on which I'm still getting used to the speed:

Second video is me without poles on my usual almost flat area:

I'd like to develop a plan of action to eliminate some of my bad habits and to even out the left and right turns.
In the past its been brought to my attention here that I need to narrow my stance in transition.
I can to this on initiating a turn to the right but I find it to be very challenging starting a left turn.
Really focusing on the timing of CA seems to make it a little easier but I'm not there yet.
acali

Re: New MA for acali

Postby Max_501 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 pm

The weak side has very little CB/CA. Have you tried using the phantom on carvers?
Max_501

Postby acali » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:13 am

I have worked on the phantom move in the past but now that I'm getting more regular on carvers again I will make it a focus.

I will also focus on hip-o-meter exercises (CA & CB) on my left turns. I was having some success with these last night. But video will be the real proof of that.

Is there anyone in the SF bay area trying to work on their PMTS game?
The carvers are easily adjustable....
acali

Postby acali » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:08 pm

New video from a couple days ago:

The biggest change I've made is to concentrate on holding the old free foot tipped through transistion, especially going from a right turn to a left turn.
acali

Postby SkierSynergy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:51 pm

You do a really good job at tipping your free foot. However your legs are very static/stiff. This limits the effectiveness of your tipping on the overall angles that you can get. Your legs rarely change length -- either one in relation to the other or both together. Relax your legs enough so that when you tip to the LTE, the other one follows. Holding the old LTE back a little so it doesn't go to the BTE first shouldn't result in a tipping fight between the two legs. Once you begin to get on edge relax and shorten the tipping foot leg even more for increased angles.

Keeping both feet on the ground, choose a length to start for both legs and choose a level 2 of shortening for inside leg. Choose a leg length you can easily achieve. In place, standing beside a solid wall, practice going from length 1 to length 2 with the inside leg. Tipping alone should move your CM toward the wall. Relaxing and shortening the inside leg will make it move easier. It makes it easier to tip and gives the tipping more effect overall. Experiment with this to get a decreasing radius in your turns. Start your tipping, and gthen do a big "sigh" of a relaxation to level 2.

If you add this, I don't think you will feel the need to pull the inside foot and hip back as a unit in an attempt to get a shorter turn. This is the lack of CA that was mentioned or it could be described as active steering or following with the outside leg and hip. I think this may reduce if you have less overall stiffness in your legs in general and use relaxation of the inside leg to help the tipping.

Look for these qualities and movements in these videos. watch for the mobility in the legs and the changing leg lengths.

At some point counter action work could be beneficial, but try one thing at a time.
SkierSynergy.com -- comprehensive services for the girlfriends of skiers
SkierSynergy

Postby acali » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Jay.

I'll be working on relaxing my leg this weekend.
Lucky me, you get to check my progress in the A-Basin lodge in a couple days
acali

Return to Movement Analysis and Video