Sharpen your MA skills: Racer

Sharpen your MA skills: Racer

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 am

I think most everyone here has seen my younger brother ski before, but it has probably been a few seasons since I posted any footage of him skiing [mainly because I haven't wanted his skiing subjected to the abuse that mine takes on other sites]. Since we have the video, and it has already been posted, I figure I'll give everyone an opportunity to sharpen their MA [and alignment] eye on a high level skier.

Some background - he is not a "PMTS" skier [never read the books, seen the DVDs, or read the forum]. However pretty much the only 'real' coaching he has ever received has been from me, so he's learned a good bit of PMTS and continues to learn and work on it more. To him though - it is just skiing. This clip is on really soft spring snow [slush] on 165cm race stock SL skis [incidentally the last run those skis will ever take]. Boots are Nordica Dobermann Pro 130's.

Unfortunately, this run got cut a little short, but there are enough turns to do MA on.

Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: Sharpen your MA skills: Racer

Postby nickia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Maybe he put too much weight on the inside ski on the last turn?
nickia

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm

He is a good skier for sure, however his problem come's from his pole plant and it is more evident when he turn to the left. He moves his arm forward and lose his CA which create spontaneously more pressure on the free ski and accentuate his inclination inside the turn . Before he felt, His left ski digged too much in the snow and created his fall. I noticed the same error on the precedent turn because he his very skilfull he was able to stay at the limit of the control but not in the last turn.

Not sure but i suspect some hip dumping, very subtle.

My advice , to practice the no swing pole plant
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Work on inside foot management.
Max_501

Postby nickia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:00 am

BTW, it's amazing how one could have a powerful ejection when every turn looked smooth and easy.

You never know how much energy you are absorbing until you get launched into the air. :lol:
nickia

Postby geoffda » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 am

nickia wrote:Maybe he put too much weight on the inside ski on the last turn?

That's just an occupational hazard of laying them over in soft snow. What happened is that the snow under his stance foot wasn't strong enough to take the pressure and broke away. When that occurs (assuming you are in balance), you automatically end up on the inside foot while you attempt to get your stance ski re-engaged. Unfortunately for HeluvaBrother, it happened at the worst possible time. Because he was in the middle of tipping (but already way over), he didn't have a solid platform to move to. As a result, the tip hooked, dug in and sent him over the bars. He's lucky is ski broke, because that particular fall commonly results in a tibia fracture right at the top of the boot when the binding doesn't release. Glad that didn't happen here!

In terms of MA, he needs to hold onto his CA until he starts to release. IIRC there is one turn to the right where he does this well, but by and large it is a problem. Jeopoupatout nailed the reason why; he drives his outside hand forward when he goes to plant his pole which introduces rotation and completely undoes his CA. Have him practice the no-swing pole plant dry-land for 10 minutes every night for a week and then go ski for a few days with that as the focus.
geoffda

Postby jbotti » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Nice wipeout!! 5 stars for that. I agree with Max, free/inside foot management.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby BigE » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Did you ever resolve the cause?

To my eye, he has too much weight on the inside ski. There is divergence of the skis in many of the turns. This is not the snow giving way, it is the skier moving onto the inside ski, and not being outside ski dominant. This coupled with what appears to be a compression/hole makes the inside ski tip bite, then the outside ski tip bites and comes around *very* fast.

Ultimately, it's due to a projection of the hip onto the inside ski.
BigE

Postby serious » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:22 pm

He rotates with the pole plant on every turn, so I would say that is a definite problem. But the "accident" is simply what happens when you dig your tips into soft snow. He happens to dig his inside tip because he has too much weight on the inside ski, but the same would happen if he dug his outside tip.

I watched a SL race in this weekend (it was held in Croatia) and it happened on very soft snow by WC standards. The most successful racers were the ones who finessed their turns. In slushy snow you simply cannot dig those tips like you would on rock hard snow.
serious

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:11 pm

I don't see the inside tip being the cause of the crash.
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:02 pm

The cause?

Older brother to younger brother... Dumbass overskied the snow.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby serious » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 am

Max_501 wrote:I don't see the inside tip being the cause of the crash.

That is too funny. Perhaps it was the fact that he went skiing that day? :mrgreen:
serious

Postby jepoupatout » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 am

One thing we cannot denied your brother has strong Tipping Ha Ha :lol:
jepoupatout

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:52 am

Slalom skis and warm spring snow...predictable results.

Very Good turner, but hard charging on slushy surfaces with short, narrow slalom skis can lead to endos (pretty cool he pulled off the complete flip over in such a short space, he must have had a lot of energy in those turns).
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby HighAngles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 am

It's already been basically stated, but I would say that he should work on ensuring he has sufficient CB - enough to keep the free ski actually "free". He ended up with far too much weight on it and when it really hooked up it threw him for a loop.
HighAngles

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video