MA Request for nightsh

Re: MA Request for nightsh

Postby milesb » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:23 pm

What's really cool is that she keeps doing so many things right when the conditions deteriorate.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby nightsh » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:41 pm

milesb wrote:What's really cool is that she keeps doing so many things right when the conditions deteriorate.

Thanks milesb for the encouraging words. The more we practice ofr/tfr, the more tolerant we become to conditions. Last year we would wrap up and go home when it snows (due to bumps) :oops:
nightsh

Postby nightsh » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm

having been practising linking OFR with special focus on CA (really not easy). here's a little progress. any comment or suggestion will be appreciated.

nightsh

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:47 am

Her balance has improved and she's showing more patience at the top of the turn. It's evident she's been working on this since the last video. However, the CA still has not improved much (if at all). Have you tried any of the indoor exercises to help her develop hip position awareness? Also, the hip-o-meter while doing the release drills will help. Once she goes through those exercises she can advance to the angry mother drills progression.

Her footwork is much better, tipping is happening with some sufficient CB, but the CA is where the focus should be maintained.
HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:20 am

This is my unprofessional take:
There is extension in every one of her turns/ releases. You have to understand that any form of pushing, standing, driving through the stance foot is considered an extension. Legs that stop flexing in the transition is an extension. Even a leg in a 'fixed' flexed position is also an extension and no better than a straight leg.

Her footwork is all there - I would leave the TFR for a while and concentrate on exaggerated 'flexing to release'. She should feel like she is flowing/rolling from one turn to the next with no point during transition where she stops flexing BOTH legs. Slow transitions will highlight any issues with the balance transfer - this is usually where flexing abruptly stops with the old stance leg and pushing begins with the new...just because the balance has transferred doesn't mean that flexing stops. The legs continue to flex, albeit at different rates/ amounts, but they continue to flex. Once established in the high- c part of the turn, the outside leg will naturally begin to lengthen as the skis move away from the body. Note: leg lengthens, not pushed or extended, whilst the inside foot is free to continue tipping, be pulled back etc etc..

The 'eureka' moment for me was understanding that at the bottom part of the turn, just prior to the transition, is where the pressure/ forces through the ski are at their most. The point where the skis are turning across the hill whilst your COM is effectively still travelling down the hill. (NOTE: very different from a traverse, where everything is moving across the hill.) At the start of the transition, I relax/ give-in to this pressure with my legs. My legs flex because I have relaxed them. The greater the energy at the end of the turn, the more my legs flex as I relax the muscles. This then allows contraction of the hamstrings = foot pullback - previously impossible if you are still tensing your quads...

As for her CB&CA, yes they could be strengthened. But, these are complimentary movements to her footwork, and will probably start to appear as she works on her flexing to release. How about RELAX to release?
go_large_or_go_home

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:28 am

The extension you are seeing is different than classic TTS type extension coming from the stance leg. She is extending her inside leg in her effort to lift the old stance ski. She should achieve the lift of the old stance ski through relaxation and flexion of that same leg. However, note that she's on a very flat slope. So it won't take much flexion at all to achieve the release and initiate these turns. This is really about what movement she uses to achieve the lift and tip. She's getting done through ILE unfortunately. She'll need to focus on maintaining the flexion of the inside leg while simultaneously relaxing/flexing the old stance leg (and tipping it and pulling it back).

Good call GLOGH, but I felt it required some clarification.
HighAngles

Postby nightsh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks HA and GLOGH for the great comments! Yes she has been having difficulties in the 'linking' part of turns lately, and now your comments make it quite clear that more CA and flexing (by relaxing) would be the cure.

We will work on hip-o-meter and angry mother. For flexing by relaxing, is there any particular drill (she tends to be tense throughout the turn and relaxing probably would be a challenge) you would recommend? I think she may not get the relaxing part if I just ask her to bend the legs (like in the boot touching drill).
nightsh

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:54 am

Sorry, should have made it a bit clearer...thanks HA.

geoffda spotted this in my skiing footage. Here's geoffda's MA for me:
Be careful that you don't incorporate extension of the old free leg into the motion of lifting and tipping the old stance foot. We call that the false Phantom. Try some gentle traverses where you balance on LTE of the uphill ski while you lift the downhill ski up and then tap it back down repeatedly. Focus on just lifting the downhill ski by flexing the downhill leg. The uphill leg that you are balancing on should not be involved.

The concept of flexing the stance foot is easy to grasp and implement - lift and tip. However, the inside leg flexing is more subtle and harder to spot.

Here's how Walter explained it: the phantom Move isn't just a case of lift and tip the old stance ski at the end of the turn. It involves flexing the old stance ski until the inside free ski LTE touches the snow - transferring balance to this ski and continuing to flex the new stance ski whilst simultaneously lifting and tipping the new free ski...

Here is his demo:

Stand with skis across the slope, as if you are about to transition. Lift the inside ski up, tip and press against the stance boot, CB & CA as required..this is you at the end of the turn....Now, start to flex the stance leg until the free foot touches the snow - repeat this movement, this is the start of the 'flex to release'. As you transfer balance to the LTE of the 'new' stance ski, keep flexing this leg as you continue flex (lift) & tip the 'new' free ski. This is where your legs are flexing by different amounts, one by relaxing down, and the other by lifting up....

Practice this move lots, even when just in your boots. When you implement it into your skiing, it feels like a continuous flow from turn to turn.

Here are some good exercise from skiersynergy:

https://skiersynergy.com/index.php/videos/skiing-instruction-and-tips/dryland-exercises
go_large_or_go_home

Postby jbotti » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:46 am

I am not a big fan of the moving one legged squats as a means of ridding one of extension and/or developing better flexion. First off they blow out your legs quickly. Second it's really not an intermedaite exercise and requires a level of one footed balance that many don't possess. The tried and true PMTS drills to develop flexion are superior in my opinion. The double pole drag and the boot touch drill (using leg flexion to get shorter) are easier and imo supreior for ridding one of extension.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:00 am

In this case I do not see flexing as the SMIM. Is there a tiny bit of inside leg extension when the outside ski is lifted? Maybe. But is it blocking the ability to link turns? I don't think so and more importantly there is a lift of the outside foot from flexing the outside leg evident, but it is performed at a high level so its hard to see. So this skier should continue working with phantom, as shown in the video, and focus on lifting the outside foot (flexing the outside leg) without extending the inside leg, while adding more tipping to the LTE of the lifted foot. NOTE - as pointed out by jbotti, the one legged flexing drill described by GLOGH is too advanced at this point.

So then, what is the SMIM once the inside leg is stabilized so there is no extension when lifting the outside foot? Looking very carefully at the video we can see some good stuff happening with each of the Essentials but it's not consistent.

Let's start with the left turn (right foot is the stance foot).

That is a nice shot and this skier often looks like this at this point in the. However, by the turn finish the image changes:

The good news is that all the work on CA is starting to show up in the skiing! Next step is to keep adding more CA as the turn develops so there is CA evident at the end of the turn.

As is the case with most skiers one side is stronger than the other. When we look at the right turn (left foot is the stance foot) we see a bit less CA at the top of the turn:

and that is dropped earler than in the left turn.

Work on CA drills, especially the Angry Mother, until the skier has CA evident at the end of each turn. Really exaggerate on the right turn so more CA shows up there.

BTW, the quiet arms and hands are excellent! Few skiers of this level show such a quiet upper body.

Here's a shot of Diana showing incredible CA towards the bottom of the turn. This is the goal!

Last edited by Max_501 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max_501

Postby nightsh » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:17 am

Big thanks to everyone for all the great inputs! Yes Max is right she was practising linked OFR/super phantom not TFR. We will focus on CA for now while watching for the extension

Now it's time to turn her into an angry mother! :lol:
nightsh

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:25 am

jbotti wrote:I am not a big fan of the moving one legged squats as a means of ridding one of extension and/or developing better flexion. First off they blow out your legs quickly. Second it's really not an intermedaite exercise and requires a level of one footed balance that many don't possess. The tried and true PMTS drills to develop flexion are superior in my opinion. The double pole drag and the boot touch drill (using leg flexion to get shorter) are easier and imo supreior for ridding one of extension.

The man speaks from experience. Walter put us through that drill (over and over and over) during the Moguls camp.
HighAngles

Postby nightsh » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Many thanks everyone for providing valuable MA. Here's a little update after working on CA, flex, and everything else. Current focus is still on CA/CB, especially on the weaker left stance side, with secondary focus on adding tipping. Any comment or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

nightsh

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video