MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

Re: MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

jepoupatout wrote:I cannot see the backseat, maybe neural. I am confused..

I would not describe your skiing as backseat. However, at the transition think about pulling your feet back more. Look at your legs during the transition as you come by the camera. Compare that to this video:

Max_501

Postby A.L.E » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Max_501 wrote:
A.L.E wrote:That said I have heard Diana tell a fellow student for a couple of days running to "tuck your butt forward", without any mention of "pulling the feet back". It worked a treat for the student. In fact the "TYBF " was that student's only focus for two days. The student had a full on J.Lo thing happening.

Sounds like Diana was addressing a different issue.

Diana was addressing this:

A.L.E

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Like I said, something different.
Max_501

Postby A.L.E » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:00 pm

My friend was very squatty first and foremost and that I would think inevitably puts her in the back seat at times.

I look at your avatar as a good example of getting forward and pressuring the tips. Looking at the spray coming off the tips of your skis and where your feet appear to be relative to your hips. Happy to drop the "hips forward" term here although it did help me as well as pulling feet back.

If you don't think Jepoupatout needs any further front of ski pressure by pulling the feet back then I absolutely defer to your far greater experience and MA skills that is for sure. 8)
A.L.E

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Above I suggest the foot pullback. What Diana suggested is a fix for a different issue.
Max_501

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:39 pm

When we pull back and tip do we have to put pressure on the little toe edge or we just pull back and tip? :?:
jepoupatout

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Just pull back and tip hard.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm

But of course tip properly. Remember when you're tipping hard that your focus is on the free foot and the stance leg will follow. If you lack that focus, most skiers end up rushing to the big toe edge of the new stance ski and produce an A-frame stance and will possibly even stem their turn. I think that may be where you were thinking of the "little toe" edge since Harald's advice when drilling is to hold onto the little toe edge of the uphill ski while tipping the new free foot - which will result in an O-frame when drilled with exaggeration and slow speeds, but you'll rarely see the O-frame in full speed free skiing (although it does pop out from time to time in some of the shots that get posted - this isn't a bad thing).
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:44 pm

HA is right on the money. Also, flex and hold the flex while tipping.
Max_501

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:08 am

HA, I've noticed in the past that concentrating on holding onto the little toe edge of the uphill ski while tipping the new free foot was disturbing for me. To flex and tip the new free ski demand a lot of attention. When i add holding onto the little toe edge of the uphill ski it doesn't come naturally, maybe it has a way to set our mind or a specific drill for that i don't know. It is the synchronization of both action that disturb my form. I can balance on the uphil ski no problem both when its time to synchronize with tipping and flexing the old stance leg my form deteriorate.
jepoupatout

Postby jclayton » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:05 am

If it's disturbing it means you are changing ( or trying to ) some fixed habits . Probably a little step into the turn which is often well disguised :twisted: . Stick at it , make yourself even more disturbed !!! :twisted:
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby BigE » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Max_501 wrote:Just pull back and tip hard.

What of side edge loading then? Harald explains that this is necessary to get the really big angles. How much pressure occurs during side edge loading?
BigE

Postby HighAngles » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:36 pm

BigE wrote:What of side edge loading then? Harald explains that this is necessary to get the really big angles. How much pressure occurs during side edge loading?

For me personally, side-loading is an interesting concept, but if I actively think about side-loading the inside ski, I inevitably end up with weight on my inside ski. Rather, if you concentrate on just tipping the free foot as aggressively as possible without pressuring it, as the edge angles increase side-loading will naturally happen. Your thoughts should really be concentrated on tipping and not allowing the stance leg to collapse at the apex of the turn.

If you're long at the apex with strong tipping and achieving high edge angles I can't imagine you not having some side-loading going on.
HighAngles

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:37 am

Side loading just after tipping mixed with strong CB works very welll altogether. That way you do not end up with too much weight on the inside ski.
jepoupatout

Postby BigE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:11 am

Harald has written that side edge loading is *required* to bring the high edge angles. It does not come naturally, especially if you are used to lift/lighten and tip. The DVD's show direct work on side edge loading. I cannot imagine getting high angles without it. It was coming in my skiing, but my season just ended.

I was skiing the fatties too much this spring. I know when I started skiing them, (88mm underfoot) tipping was very difficult. But, now, it's pretty good. My daughter says it's improved, as has inside leg flexion/pull back. Tipping on the SL skis is MUCH easier.
BigE

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video