MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

Postby jepoupatout » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:31 am

I still have some pushing from my stance leg when i turn to the
right and i think i need to level more my hip.
All comment are welcome.

thanks

[youtube]fteCfBr3fEs
[/youtube]
Last edited by jepoupatout on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jepoupatout

Re: MA front view and back view Jepoupatout

Postby idahorob » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Not many seem to be viewing the MA section. I don't consider myself qualified enough for a thorough analysis, but your turns look very nice to me. I don't have the eye to catch the leg push you speak of, but judging from the hem of your jacket at the apex of the turn you may be right about having more potential for leveling your pelvis to get more counter balance.

I notice you're wearing the Canadian colors from the Interski videos. Nice touch!
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Postby HighAngles » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:44 pm

I am fairly sure that you are not flexing to release. The turns look pretty good at first glance, but I downloaded one of them and ran it in slow-mo on my computer. I am seeing a push-off from the stance leg in your transitions.

Flex, pull-back, and tip in your transitions while your feet are below your hips.
HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Nice turns. They show solid control and good levels of tipping. Ca/Cb can be increased especially on turns to your right (much better on turns going left). Learning the No swing pole plant will help this alot. Inside hand should be forward in every turn and the the outside hand should never be in fornt of your stance leg boot. Reaching to pole plant (especially on groomed terrain when you don't need to plant or stabilize) only reverses the CA forces you have up to this point in the turn.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby jepoupatout » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 pm

My ski season ended 3 weeks ago, do you think i can apply the no swing pole plant with Harbcarver the same way as we do on ski?
jepoupatout

Postby jbotti » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Sorry to hear that your season is over. Mine is probably over as well. I don't get on the carvers that often (I hate falling on asphalt) but yes, this can be practiced on them and that should set you up nicely to bring this to snow next season.
jbotti

Postby jepoupatout » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 pm

We just received 41 cm of snow last night so tomorrow i'll go ski for the last time of my ski season and try to take new video with the no swing pole plant . I did a lot of spinning recently so my leg should be fine to ski in spring snow, they forecast + 10 and sunny day in Quebec. It will be fun.
jepoupatout

Postby polecat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Have fun tomorrow!

One thing I saw in the second vid was that your very first move down the slope was a stem.

Can't see your feet in the start of the third vid but from your body position and the rhythm of the first turn I'm guessing that one was stemmed too.

I see that a lot (in me, especially). It seems to be something people do subconsciously, just part of pushing off before starting to "ski for real." But then it takes a couple of turns to get their groove back. And the dreaded wedge continues to lurk beneath the surface.

If you want to kill off that last vestige of stemming, you can try starting runs with a two-foot release. Or, you can step onto the little toe edge of the new stance ski and then bring the other ski parallel before doing a phantom to initiate the first turn.

pc.
polecat

Postby jepoupatout » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 pm

New video from today, we received 41 cm of snow 36 hours ago and today the temperature move up to + 12. The snow was not trasform, it was sticky witha lot of succion. Last evening i took time to wax my ski with yellow wax and it helped for a couple of ru.
Those are moguls run in a black trail, i had a lot of fun jumping over some moguls. Comment in french at the end for those who like the accent.

Last edited by jepoupatout on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jepoupatout

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:58 pm

You looked pretty good in the moguls (and man did everyone else skiing them with you look pretty bad!). Good poles, and your turns looked similar to the short brushed carves you've been working on in your other videos--which is the goal, right?
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:51 pm

On the turns to the left (the strong side) work on including the pelvis in the CA movement.

On the turns to the right work on more CA/CB.

Flex as soon as the ski tips hit a bump, deepest flex at top of bump. Big foot pullback is needed to stay off the tails. Earlier tipping and more of it.
Max_501

Postby jepoupatout » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:43 am

I started to see some Phantom move in my technic, some light bettween my knee ( a beginning of O-frame) not all turn but some.
Front view

Back view

However it look still square on my ski and i don't understand how to unblock my hip , i know i lack of tipping and CA but i cannot figure in my head how to unlock my hip.
jepoupatout

Postby jbotti » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:52 pm

I have just been through the unlocking the hips process. Start by standing static and the tip the skis on edge. While the skis are one edge (static, not moving) , push your inside arm forward creating upper body CA. Now while you are doing this make sure the hips also move with the upper body. Go back from no CA to adding CA and eachh time make the hips move. Take notice of what this feels like. Now to feel the hips creating CA in motion, start by doing slow two footed relesases but use almost or no tipping. The goal here is to make the skis come around and the only force that will actually do this without tipping is hip CA. Do this on flat terrain and go for full hip CA on every edge change/turn. If you really move the hips fully into CA the skis will come around. This is purely an exercise to start to feel the muscles and the sensation that should be present when the hips are countering on turns. Skiing this way (huge hip counter with no tipping) is dangerous to your form! Once you have skied enough with no tipping using huge hip counter, go back to adding tipping in your two footed releases.

I spent the better part of 15 skis days doing not much other than TFR's, and NSPP turns at slow speeds making sure that my hips were countered on every turn. Once I felt I had this in place I went backto practicing edge locked carved turns, making sure that the hips were CA on every turn. This took a while for me to get the hang of, but because I knew what it should feel like I could easily tell when I was and wasn't doing it.

Hip CA is very powerful and once you get it and can feel it you will start to naturally use it (again it will take some real drill work). It has changed my skiing.

The key is doing the slow drill work and starting to feel just how far the hips can CA on every turn.
jbotti

Postby jepoupatout » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks John for the input, because i definitively ended my ski season last friday I will apply that exercise with Harbcarver as soon as possible and see what happen. It will be interesting to substitute some ski drill with HarbCarver. I will take video to show the progress.
jepoupatout

Postby jbotti » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Just remember that on carvers the only thing that will turn them is tipping. All the hip counter in the world will not turn a carver, whereas on a ski, big hip CA will.
jbotti

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video