MA for polecat

MA for polecat

Postby milesb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 pm

YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Re: MA for polecat

Postby polecat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:26 pm

I’d been dying for some video so I could see what to work on next but hadn’t gotten the chance this season. Then, I ran into Miles on the slopes the other day. Am I lucky or what?

Thank you, Miles!!! Image

I really needed that.

So, it looks like I need to work on everything, more tipping, more flexing, more counterbalancing,...

I’m predicting boot touch, outside pole drag and double pole drag drills in my future.

Other suggestions?

pc.
polecat

Postby MonsterMan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Refer to the second video when near the camera and we can see your feet for a few turns.

Tip to little toe first. There is a slight stem. Try thinking of the timing is 1,2,3,4.

1. release lte to flat,
2. release bte to flat,
3. engage lte,
4. engage bte.

Flex much more and stay flexed as you engage to enable this movement.

Target tipping boot touch maybe to get the feel. But use as much flexion as in the boot touch when you free ski. It may, (will), feel over exaggerated but to an observer will look great.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby serious » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 am

Be careful with the flexing. You are flexing before release and then you basically release through an up-move with significant rotation.
serious

Postby cheesehead » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:45 am

MonsterMan wrote:Refer to the second video when near the camera and we can see your feet for a few turns.

Tip to little toe first. There is a slight stem. Try thinking of the timing is 1,2,3,4.

1. release lte to flat,
2. release bte to flat,
3. engage lte,
4. engage bte.

Flex much more and stay flexed as you engage to enable this movement.

Target tipping boot touch maybe to get the feel. But use as much flexion as in the boot touch when you free ski. It may, (will), feel over exaggerated but to an observer will look great.

Ok, please help me out here. I have been having trouble with the sequencing of events. Is the 1-2-3-4 you give here the sequence for a 2-footed release?

I have been focusing on one-footed releases, and my sequence is this:
1. release bte to lte
2. momentarily hold both lte's
3. new outside edge: lte to bte

So comparing one-footed to 2-footed:
for a 2-footed release you release with the inside ski first, in a one-footed release you release with the inside ski first. Is this statement correct? If not, which sequence is wrong as it appears above?

Please tell me if I am not making myself clear.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I was referring to the new turn edges.

Would you prefer

1. release from bte (old turn)
2. release from lte (old turn)
3. engage to lte (new turn)
4. engage to bte (new turn)

?

You will get a piggy O shape doing this.

Please remember that I am suggesting this as a way of ensuring little toe moving first in the context of the video request, and as no one answered for a couple of days I thought I would give my thoughts on the matter.

If you can really release further than flat to the snow with the little toe edge, (old bte), then I suppose that is ok, but I don't really know and someone more learned might chime in and clarify.

Don't forget that there is a transfer of balance happening in there as well.

A one foot release from the old lte is like this when you describe the transfer as well.

1. Release from old bte by lifting the old stance ski off the snow and tipping to flat, this movement transfers the loads to the old lte.
2. Allow New stance ski to release from old lte as a result of 1
3. Engage new lts
4. Engage new bte

I'm very sorry for the confusion.

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby cheesehead » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:19 am

Thank you VERY much for the explanation, Geoff. I wanted to be sure I understood those edges.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

Postby rstraker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:42 am

A couple of exercises that have been really helpful to me include:
- focusing on creating an O-frame during turn transition (the beginning of the 1-2-3-4 sequence), and
- flexing (rather than extending) into the turn transition.

Re: the latter, check out the Essentials exercise where you flex deeply and touch your boots during transition.
rstraker

Return to Movement Analysis and Video