MA - 2FR drill

MA - 2FR drill

Postby acali » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Instead of free skiing I've attached a link to me doing the 2 foot release drill on green terrain at squaw yesterday.
Yes I have some weird contrived pole thing going on, I'll try to make it closer to what HH is doing next time.

All advice is welcome.
acali

Re: MA - 2FR drill

Postby milesb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Man, that arm thing is really weird!
I really can't tell if it affects what you are attempting.
Anyhow, at the "moment of truth" you need to keep tipping that downhill ski, tip it hard. Lighten it and pull it back hard too. Follow through with counterbalance and counteracting. Flexing deeper and staying flexed will make it easier to learn, and is good practice for doing it on steeps.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

About a year ago I came across HH's youtube lessons-and the video on building a true carved turn from the two footed release drill has been the #1 thing I work one..and struggle with.

He says in the video it's harder than it looks and he's very correct.

Anyway-it seems to me that you start the release well, and get your tips into the fall line with only tipping motion. But, you don't continue tipping, flexing and lightening the inside leg beyond this point and instead tend to 'ride out the side cut of the ski ' to a stop. If you watch HH do these, you'll see he descends barely a ski length down the hill through a whole turn in this drill. And that comes from a good deep flexing of the legs, lightening of the inside foot with strong pull back, and continuous tipping through the fall line.

I think it's a very challenging drill, but a great one. Your off to a good start, but the real test is getting a good finish on these turns.

Rex
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby oggy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 am

My 2 cents, caveat emptor. Yes tipping is what you need to do (don't we all), but tipping needs some prerequisites, such as being in balance. Which you're unfortunately not during many of the turns; most of in the middle of the turn, just before the fall line (when you're supposed to add more tipping to finish the turn), you're out of balance, in a wide stance and a wedge. It's hard to tip from there. I can think of two ways of getting yourself into trouble:

1. Not distributing your weight correctly, by leaning in. Feel your weight distribution with your feet and adjust; it's called a 2FR for a reason. Try some OFRs as well.

2. An idiotically simple revelation that has struck me recently: even in a 2FR, the relative length of the legs needs to change. At the beginning of the release, your soon-to-be-free leg is longer than the soon-to-be-stance leg. In the middle of the turn they need to be equal, or even in a slightly reversed relation. There are two ways of getting there: flexing the new free leg, and extending the new stance leg. Guess which one of these pillages your village, eats your babies and throws you out of balance?
oggy

Postby A.L.E » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 pm

There is no need for the up hill arm to be contorted into the elevated position it is. The downhill arm/pole is good, just relax and lower the uphill arm into a normal skiing position.

The two key elements to the two footed release are tipping and flexing.

* You need to be more flexed which will allow you to tip far more easily.
*Keep the tipping ski close to the new stance ski and pulled back.
* Keep more flexed with both legs and increase tipping throughout the turn.
*On gentle sloping terrain the stance ski will not lengthen much at all.

Harald doing it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0hWESFlMAs
A.L.E

Postby idahorob » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Last year, during a coaching session with Max_501, he had me add the maximum amount of counteraction I could do before releasing the skis. I found it really hard to do enough, but one thought about moving into the counter would be to get the zipper of your PANTS facing down the hill, then maybe you won't need to compensate by all that shoulder turning with your uphill pole position. When you finish the turn you might try to counteract to end the turn also. Max explained this is a change from the way Harald shows it in Expert Skier 2.
No matter where you go, there you are.
idahorob

Return to Movement Analysis and Video