Analyse my skiing

Analyse my skiing

Postby flexmore » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 am

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I am interested in your ways.
Last weekend I got the opportunity to ski for a day, and decided to capture some video.

Snow conditions were as easy as they get: soft, a bit slushy snow. Temperatures were well above freezing all day (probably around 5 degrees Celsius). The run was quite sloped, but not really steep. Skiing on the flatter parts was not really possible because of the head on wind.
I just tried to make short turns in the best fashion I could.

I am very interested in what you guys think of my skiing and were I should work on most.

What I think:
I have some movement patterns ingrained that are very different from what I should strive for.
-CB & CA seem relatively okay to me.
-Flexing to release: terrible. I seem to be extending? This was better further down (I swear! :).
-I push my skies around.
-Tipping: I think I did this, but this seems contrary to the above.

I think I should try to flex more in release and try not to push my skis around at the start of the turn. I know I get in trouble when things get steep on hard snow, and I think it are my transitions where I start to mess up already.

So: what do you think? What should I work on?
Thanks in advance
flexmore

Re: Analyse my skiing

Postby flexmore » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 am

I forgot:
I have been trying the foot pullback every time I get to ski.
Now i have sore calve muscles. I am pretty sure it was from skiing (although I did go jogging also)
Am I doing this pullback/tipping wrong, or should those muscles be sore?
flexmore

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am

My calf muscles don't get sore from the pullback movement.

I am unable to identify what movements are in use in this video clip. When shooting video try to have your videographer stand at least half way down the slope. Then you ski right past the camera and then there are more turns to MA.
Max_501

Postby flexmore » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 am

I was afraid the video wouldn't be very usefull. Unfortunatly my videographer couldn't start the recording, so I had to do that myself.
I'll try to get some beter video (with a better camera also), when I get out again later this season.
flexmore

Postby Randall Pitt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 am

I agree with Max here. Muscle soreness comes from movements that oppose gravity. Tipping and free foot pullback don't fall into this category. OTOH, jogging and landing on the ball of your foot with tense calf muscles or activity pushing off the ball of you foot will cause sore calf muscles. You could also be pushing off the ball of your foot while actively extending(bad movement here) causing the soreness but your extending doesn't look that severe. If you can wiggle your toes at will while skiing the soreness is not from skiing.

In terms of the MA, a multitude of sins will be covered up by proper tipping and flexing. Things will magically start to fall in place when tipping becomes second nature. Nows a good time as any to begin the journey.
Randall Pitt

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:52 am

You need to sort out your flexion extension pattern before you can tip appropriately. Flex more flexmore! :)
Matt

Return to Movement Analysis and Video