MA for Nickia

MA for Nickia

Postby nickia » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:30 pm

First, I'd like to thank Harald and his PMTS system. I started skiing last year. I struggled with wedge turns and got really frustrated. PMTS guided me to the right path.

I find it really hard to turn left compare to right.

I can see that I'm doing A-frame occasionally in this video.

It looks like I have some up and down movement. My stance ski also split on the last turn. Any idea why?

I ski in backseat here; Is leg pull back the solution?
nickia

Re: MA for Nickia

Postby h.harb » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:51 pm

If you started a year ago it's truly amazing what you are doing. It is hard to tell about your alignment based on the camera work, I need to see more turns from the front with a better zoom and picture quality. Have your camera man stand half way up the slope, rather than at the bottom. Where are you skiing, looks like the mid west possibly Wisconsin?
h.harb

Postby nickia » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks Harald. I'm from Ontario, Canada. The elevation here is minuscule compare to others place (~200m vertical drop).

I skied for the first time in my life in Dec 2008 but only went once in that season. In 2009/10 season, I bought a season pass and started going more often.

I'm obsessed with skiing. I started with Sofa Ski School DVD for which introduced the concept of edging to me. Then, I bought Your Ski Coach shortly before I found out about PMTS. I realized I wasted $80 buying Your Ski Coach because it's still sealed and unopened. :lol:

So far I logged around 150 ski hours in my "career".

BTW what camera do you recommend? I'm using a digital camera to film because a camcorder is too large to carry around.
nickia

Postby nickia » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:42 pm

This video is from March 2010. I realized my stance was too wide so I worked to narrow it.
nickia

Postby nickia » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:38 pm

My skis get into a A-frame when in transition to the next turn. I think this is happening because the release is initiate by tipping the old-free-ski to BTE instead of tipping stance ski to LTE. What do you think?

Exiting

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Entering 1

Entering 2

Entering 3

nickia

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Are you practicing tuck turns?
Max_501

Postby nickia » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:56 am

Max_501 wrote:Are you practicing tuck turns?

Yea. I tried to eliminate my arms so I can focus on my feet movement.
nickia

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 am

Do you have the Essentials DVD that show Harald making tuck turns? If so, compare your body position to Harald's. Notice the difference in stance and position of the arms.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Yes and also, that left foot looks like it can use some canting, tipping out. What kind of boots are you using?
h.harb

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 am

Max_501 wrote:Do you have the Essentials DVD that show Harald making tuck turns? If so, compare your body position to Harald's. Notice the difference in stance and position of the arms.

Nick, don't take this personally, your development is really impressing. However, please consider your arms/poles when tucking.

From Urban dictionary:

"Gapers may also make turns or snowplow down green runs and sometime try to act cool by crouching and sticking their ski poles in the air but are totally oblivioius to the fact that they look even more stupid than they previously were"
Matt

Postby nickia » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:10 pm

h.harb wrote:Yes and also, that left foot looks like it can use some canting, tipping out. What kind of boots are you using?

Hi Harald. I'm using Salomon Mission X5 boots. I'm bowlegged so both of my feet tip outward when standing neutral. Like you've mentioned, my left foot feels more unnatural than right. Moreover, I realized I have been driving my knees inward to keep my skis together. In other words, my knees track inward. I'm doing a lot of body squat to correct this problem.

Harald, you mentioned that good movements can alleviate bad alignments. Should I continue to practice tipping before I have money for a custom bootfit next season?

Matt and Max,

Thanks for your comments! I will work on my tuck turn posture once I solve my feet/knee issue. :P
nickia

Return to Movement Analysis and Video