MA request - one footed release

MA request - one footed release

Postby newskier » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:09 pm

There is a monster storm hitting Tahoe this weekend. I ended up on a bunny hill yesterday (saturday) because most lifts were closed. The only thing I am able to practice is one footed release. This is the first time I try it and I did it for 6 hours in the rain. I basically want to be able to hold on to LTE of the uphill ski. Most of the time I was not making turns but I finally had a small breakthru and made some progress in the last two hours. I went back to review Harold's one footed release video and realize that I did not tip enough. I went back this morning to practice again with emphasis on tipping. This is video is captured in the storm when all lifts are closed. You can see the wind and rain in the video. The snow has a lot of water in it so sometimes the skis got stuck. I was also resisting wind. I try moving around or using my skis to groom the surface to make easier to turn. I did not edit the video as I am not sure what is important so the video may be a little long. I am barely making it but I am pretty excited. Thanks in advance for any comments!

newskier

Re: MA request - one footed release

Postby HighAngles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Tip the free foot, flex, keep your heels under your hips. I'm also seeing some upper body rotation occurring which would typically indicate some active rotary forces being used rather than pure tipping and passive rotary occurring as your skis seek the fall line.
HighAngles

Postby milesb » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:44 pm

Thick wet snow on a bunny slope. I cannot think of harder conditions for releases! It's unlikely you will be able to learn perform them correctly, and will probably use some twisting force to get the skis into the fall line- you don't want that habit. Try learning them on a hardpacked day on a blue slope- see the video for ...expert skier 2.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby newskier » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks both!

HighAngles wrote:Tip the free foot, flex, keep your heels under your hips. I'm also seeing some upper body rotation occurring which would typically indicate some active rotary forces being used rather than pure tipping and passive rotary occurring as your skis seek the fall line.

I can see the rotation and I can feel the twisting when I did it.

milesb wrote:Thick wet snow on a bunny slope. I cannot think of harder conditions for releases! It's unlikely you will be able to learn perform them correctly, and will probably use some twisting force to get the skis into the fall line- you don't want that habit. Try learning them on a hardpacked day on a blue slope- see the video for ...expert skier 2.

The whole mountain is closed Sunday by 12 so there is no other choice. I have learned the effect of tipping which I did not concentrate on the day before.
newskier

Return to Movement Analysis and Video