MA for HighAngles

Re: MA for HighAngles

Postby HighAngles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Skied with Geoffda today at Keystone. He was kind enough to play videographer for me.
It was quite cold (-7* F in the parking lot at the start of the day). We have had quite a lot of snow over the past couple weeks so the groomers were in great shape (even if they were a little hard due to the extreme cold). Light was fairly flat.

I'm on a 72mm 14m radius ski this time around. It took a bit of adjustment after skiing fat skis for the past month (like I said - we've been getting a ton of snow).

Low angle groomer:

Moderate pitch on a blue groomer:

Last edited by HighAngles on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighAngles

Postby HighAngles » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:53 pm

I'm quite disappointed in my skiing that was captured on these videos. I don't know about you guys, but when the camera turns on I turn off. Good thing I'm not an actor. Nonetheless I feel that the two videos are a fair representation of my skiing on this day. Unfortunately I don't see much improvement after 40 days on snow this season. I "feel' an improvement and I believe that I understand the skiing much better now, but that hasn't equated yet into any dramatic changes in video.

Borrowing an MA "cheat sheet" previously posted by Max_501:

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? Yes
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? Sometimes
Are the feet pulled back at transition? Sometimes
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? Not consistently
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? Needs improvement
Strong inside arm? Not so much
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Not enough
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? Not enough
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? Sometimes
Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn? Rarely
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? I hate my pole plants and arm movements
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out? Help me out here

I think the thing that bothers me the most about today's video is the lack of tipping and the turn shape. I really need to work on getting the skis across the hill while maintaining strong counter. I need to exaggerate, exaggerate, exaggerate.
HighAngles

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:33 am

You're clearly a better ski than I am, so it seems impertinent for me to say anything. But one thing which does strike me is that you need to work more on counterbalancing, because you're slightly leaning into the turns.
JohnMoore

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks John. You're definitely right. It's one of my big battles. Before coming to PMTS I was all about inclination to get my edge angles (just ask Geoffda). So I have years and years of skiing with inclination and about a season and a half of trying to erase it. I find that as the slopes get steeper my leaning into the hill becomes more problematic.

I will be skiing with Geoffda next week again most likely. I plan on getting some video again where I will do my best to exaggerate EVERYTHING. We'll see what that looks like. I'd like to think that I can actually do this stuff correctly. I mean, I'm not a horrible skier, but compared to where Harald has set the bar I have long, long way to go.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 am

What percentage of your time on snow (this season) has been dedicated to drills? When doing drills how do you confirm they are being done correctly?
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:34 am

I probably have less than 10 days of "drill" days. I do not have video of drill days. I only have feedback from fellow skiers. So point taken.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 am

HighAngles wrote:I probably have less than 10 days of "drill" days. I do not have video of drill days. I only have feedback from fellow skiers. So point taken.

You are clearly motivated to improve your skiing and the 25% drill time is a good start. My suggestion is to bump up the drill time and try to get some video so you can see what you are doing. With drills you want to exaggerate and get the full range of motion working. I would guess that if you devoted the better part of the next 5-10 days to drills you'd be pleasantly surprised with the improvement that would yeild.

When you are skiing with Geoffda or another PMTS skier, play the following game. Each of you pick one Essential that you are going to exaggerate (do not tell the other). Then you each ski, exaggerating like crazy, and then the other guy has tell you what you were working on. You might be surprised how often the viewer can't figure out which movement you were working on. You can do this on groomers, in pow, in the bumps, etc.
Max_501

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 am

Just came home quick at lunch to pick up books for class tonight and decided to watch your clips.

Two words: Power Release.

Do them.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby JohnMoore » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:Just came home quick at lunch to pick up books for class tonight and decided to watch your clips.

Two words: Power Release.

Do them.

Where would people say the best video demonstration of this is? Anything on YouTube? I do have ACBAES2 as well, and the short DVD which came with the Essentials book.
JohnMoore

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 pm

Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 pm

Max_501 wrote:
HighAngles wrote:I probably have less than 10 days of "drill" days. I do not have video of drill days. I only have feedback from fellow skiers. So point taken.

You are clearly motivated to improve your skiing and the 25% drill time is a good start. My suggestion is to bump up the drill time and try to get some video so you can see what you are doing. With drills you want to exaggerate and get the full range of motion working. I would guess that if you devoted the better part of the next 5-10 days to drills you'd be pleasantly surprised with the improvement that would yeild.

When you are skiing with Geoffda or another PMTS skier, play the following game. Each of you pick one Essential that you are going to exaggerate (do not tell the other). Then you each ski, exaggerating like crazy, and then the other guy has tell you what you were working on. You might be surprised how often the viewer can't figure out which movement you were working on. You can do this on groomers, in pow, in the bumps, etc.

This is a great suggestion. Hopefully Geoffda is game :wink:

Geoffda has the advantage of having spent a ton of time in PMTS camps. He's about as schooled in PMTS as they come. I skied with HH once last season. All I really have going for me is I have watched all the DVDs hundreds of times (and that's no exaggeration) and I have all the books. Between the DVDs and this forum I hope to develop some better movements. IIRC Heluva was able to get there without camp participation - of course he also has his race training though (which I'm seriously considering getting into).

I will make an effort to get my training more formalized with definite goals for each day (working from the ground up).
HighAngles

Postby HighAngles » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Max_501 - those were great videos of the power release drill. I hadn't seen your stuff on Youtube before.

I will make a point of getting video of some of the drills.
HighAngles

Postby ToddW » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:59 pm

HighAngles wrote:[snip]
I will make an effort to get my training more formalized with definite goals for each day (working from the ground up).

As you do that, consider taking a page out of jbotti's playbook and keep a diary (just a few scribbles a day) of your drill time, lessons learned, and observations on your skiing. It's easy to lose insights or forget issues, especially over the summer, if you don't record them.
ToddW

Postby geoffda » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:35 pm

No worries, Mark. If you are ready to do some drills, then I'm your drill sargeant. Just ask JMD :mrgreen:. And Helluva, that was four words, not two :mrgreen:. Max, I like your follow-me game. I'm definitely going to have to remember to play that one.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Nicely done, couple of things to notice,

-"transition tipping", can hugely enhance your engagement.

-holding "counter acting" while releasing the skis is also a huge goal

-slowing down the transition and using target tipping, will round out your turns.

-Playing with the delta angles on your boots can help your fore/aft.

Some of the same old habits Geoffda had, are visible, like, hip angulation, rather than foot tipping, hip angle early, rather than tipping to effective "counter acting". (that is a movement not a position)
These can all be practiced with two footed releases and brushed carving. Slow it down, angle the skis with foot and ankle movements about the falline, the High C..
Good luck!
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video