MA for Miles

Re: MA for Miles

Postby newskier » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:10 pm

thank you, I got it.
newskier

Postby A.L.E » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:28 am

Max_501 wrote:Miles, HH says your stance width is fine. He thinks the skiing in the earlier video is better than the latest. In the later video there is a leg push used to get the skis to an edge. In both cases more CB/CA and tipping.

Is he still alive or are you channelling?
A.L.E

Postby A.L.E » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:25 am

Hey Miles have you done much work with the Power Release drill?

I think it could be good for your skiing. The Essentials came out with that drill at the same time I was looking for a way to develope the HH or ski racer type angles I marvelled at. For me it was definitely the key to showing me there really was an attainable path to expert skiing. The drill quickly gave me a sense of the independent roles for each foot. The long leg/short leg, flex to release, float and the need for early strong CB followed as did tipping to initiate and really tighten the turn radius.

At the moment these latest videos don't show much other than some very competent noodling down the hill. You got to crank it up a bit man! That's a bit harsh but you can show us better stuff. I'd imagine Mammoth in Spring is the ideal time to find some uncrowed slopes to practice some bigger angles.

One tip though. If you do end up widening your stance a little as a result like I did don't let too much weight end up on the inside ski, which is what happened to me. Dianna fixed it by doing drills where the outside ski was the only balance point so that at any time during the turn I could lift the inside ski off the snow and balance was maintained. Garlands or phantom moves or one footed skiing reinforced this.
A.L.E

Postby milesb » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:38 pm

These are two of my favorite videos of Harald:

Here is me inspired by these videos

I thought it would be fun and informative to compare. Thx to Art Rothafel for taking the video
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby milesb » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Regular skiing
milesb

Postby l2ski » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for posting! In the TFR, I watched the first two turns frame by frame.
You have a nice early balance transfer to the uphill edge. How long did it take you to
get this? I'm working on this and trying to integrate into my skiing.
l2ski

Postby milesb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:58 pm

I've been practicing pmts for about 15 years, so it's kind of fuzzy how long that took. The balance transfer itself is not intentional, it is a result of inside leg movements. Always focus on the movements.
milesb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Got a camera with zoom?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby milesb » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:25 am

No, we just use iphones
milesb

Postby l2ski » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:22 am

milesb wrote:I've been practicing pmts for about 15 years, so it's kind of fuzzy how long that took. The balance transfer itself is not intentional, it is a result of inside leg movements. Always focus on the movements.

Finally, I understand this; It only took a year to figure out and posting a video of my skiing
to get a hint.

It's about focusing on releasing the downhill ski; relax the leg, begin flattening,
then lifting and tipping to LTE continuously. Lifting the tip
first helps with raising the new inside hip to begin counter balancing,
and firing correct muscles in the new stance leg and hip to prevent the knee from rotating in
(firing of the gluteal muscle group).
l2ski

Postby milesb » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 am

I'm glad it helped.
milesb

Postby milesb » Wed May 29, 2019 10:55 pm

milesb

Postby noobSkier » Thu May 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Although I can appreciate the difficulty of the snow, there is far too much rotation in this skiing. Its hard to make a judgment on what exactly your SMIM is because you are skiing 3d conditions which may be challenging your form. It's easy to see that a number of essentials are lacking, but IMO the root cause is probably lack of CA. If CA isn't working, you won't be able to load the outside ski which will cripple your flexing and prevent clean edge-to-edge transitions(all observed)...especially in 3d conditions.

Of course to confirm its CA and not something else, it would be useful to see some video in firmer conditions...probably not possible anymore. Also, congrats on skiing in June (almost)!
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:13 pm

Areas to work on:

More CB especially on the right footers. Note the difference between the right and left turns. Try to get both sides the same.

Work on improving fore/aft movements by hammering those drills from Essentials. Note that when you get aft you are compensating by bending and staying forward at the waist rather than pulling the skis back.

Work on flexing range of motion and timing with pullback during the release. Note how there isn't much flexing range of motion in the video.

Work on developing CA as the turn progresses. This is one of the most difficult Essentials for many of us. In my case I had to increase flexibility off the snow to have any shot of getting even a small amount of CA to show up on the snow.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video