YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Re: MA for Miles

Postby HighAngles » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 am

Embedded it for you:

HighAngles

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:37 pm

I'd like to see you make your turns to the right with more and early counter balance.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:41 pm

ps inside arm is stronger and tipping is good

after increasing turn to the right counter balance start the refinement cycle again and work on for/aft.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby milesb » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:04 am

from 12-12-2011
milesb

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 pm

That does not hurt my eyes.
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:13 pm

A tip for future video...if possible stand about half way down the run and then video as he ski towards you and then past you. Get at least 5 turns of the front and of the back. Make use of the zoom and OIS features if you have them.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Miles, I think you need to widen your stance slightly. When you are turning to the left, I'm seeing inclination, not tipping. Until you started your shorter turns (at least), every turn to the left was pure inclination. If you adopt a slightly wider stance, it will ensure that you can feel your legs as independent entities which will hopefully allow you to better feel what is going on with your left foot. Even at low edge angles, counter balance is an integral part of tipping mechanics. When it doesn't show up, it is a pretty good indication that tipping isn't happening. Yes, you finally get some tipping going by the time you hit the fall line, but by that time, you've already wasted the entire upper third of the arc.

Do a bunch of tipping garlands with a focus on tipping to your left LTE and counter balance as a part of your tipping movements.
geoffda

Postby milesb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 pm

I prefer to just put up video without comment, you know "it is what it is", but there were some unusual circumstances with this one. I had slightly sprained my left foot, and it hurt when tipping very far or putting pressure on the edge. I've been working on CA, try to focus on that.

milesb

Postby A.L.E » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 am

I am with Geoff from his last advice, your stance is too narrow. Open it up and get the feel of some independent feet. For me it helped to develop better tipping, flexing and CB with pelvis. This will lead to more dynamic skiing with bigger angles.
I don't see much CA.
A.L.E

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 am

It's a bit hard to comment on angles when there aren't any !

Seriously , the positions are a bit static to generate/necesitate much CA , to my eyes . I did see a little wedge creep in in some turns .
I saw some CA on the third left turn , I guess you were favouring your right leg .
To get good CA I think you need earlier CB and pole prep. thus starting CA earlier also .
Camera angle makes it a bit difficult to see but I see some rotation and not a lot of " strong arm " tactics .
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby jclayton » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 pm

I have been looking at your videos of last year , you do look a bit hampered in this one . Geoffs comment about early CB are still valid though .

At Hintertux last year Rich skiied behind me and yelled "now" whenever I had to have my pole plant prepped , I was always late , whenever it was earlier my CB was also .

With practice this year I have noticed a big improvement with CB ,CA and and foot pullback , thus control through the turns has improved exponentially . ( Some of my fellow skiers wil be pleased with that ) .
My comments derive from painful personal experience . :roll:
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby newskier » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 pm

I am confused. What is the inside arm in this picture?

newskier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Miles, HH says your stance width is fine. He thinks the skiing in the earlier video is better than the latest. In the later video there is a leg push used to get the skis to an edge. In both cases more CB/CA and tipping.
Max_501

Postby cheesehead » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 pm

In that picture the right arm is the inside arm. See how the elbow is away from the body and higher than the left elbow? The trick with the pole plant is to use it without lifting your elbow, among other things.
--- aka John Carey
Madison, Wisconsin
cheesehead

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video